A great program marred by critical flaws in core functionality.

Be fair though, software has special powers down in the ‘gong’. Perhaps he lives in a less fortunate place. 8)

Nope, no sarcasm. That was true before I gave up on Scrivener early 2019. I revisited this issue after I posted it and see it can now be done in full screen mode. However, back in 2018, this could NOT be done. I Contacted customer support at the time and the work around was exporting to Word then back to Scrivener; A rather ludicrous work around and something that should have been a basic function.

I haven’t used Scrivener since early 2019 because of issues (at the time) such as not being able to do a project word count, or highlighted word count or global search. I see now it can be done in full screen mode. But, what was really a problem was how Scrivener simply did not work well with Word. Most editors will make edit comments in Word. And, these comments do not transfer to Scrivener. As a result, most of the organizational advantages of Scrivener are lost in the time it took to make edits done in Word transferred to Scrivener.

I take a peak in every now and then hoping the illusive Windows version 3.0 is available. But, it’s becoming sort of like the unicorn. You would think that an almost 2 yr. wait would not be considered acceptable by Scrivener developers.

I don’t think Win version 1.9 has had any substantial updates since 2018. So what Kalidasa wrote should have been possible in 2018.

Hum…I started using the software in 2018. It was in then.

JMO further qualified the “failure” once it was pointed out that the function existed. It just wasn’t working in his exact (and unstated) use case.

To be fair, what program does work well with Word, if you please?

OneNote, and Excel work great.

That is by design. Scrivener is not a word processor. That is precisely why it is popular. It is a content creation tool, and formatting and processing is better done after export.

You’ll be better off using a word processor for your work. Scrivener will not bend to fit that particular way of working. It’s not intended to do that. Version 3 may do a bit more of it, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. That’s simply not the way Scrivener is built to work.

Well shure. They would. Millions of $$$ have no doubt been expended by a corporation with thousands of employees to make certain.

Well I for one am grateful to 7t for posting his or her thoughts here; he or she has saved me forking out for scrivener only to be frustrated by it. Having experienced a glitch with line break spacing during compiling using my free trial, these posts have helped me see that it’s not the right program for me. So while it might have been frustrating for them to spend their time posting here, and probably won’t see this comment, I’m saying a virtual thanks for helping me make up my mind not to switch to scrivener. I get now that it’s not supposed to be wysiwyg in the editor, but this page break and line break stuff would do my head in :slight_smile: Maybe I could have learned to live with it, but the extremely patronising replies from the admin made my mind up.
I’ll keep looking for an alternative to Word.

If you had asked the forum how to fix your problem you would probably have got the help you needed to fix it.
Good luck with some other app.

I just cannot get over the condescending attitude of both the users and Scrivener ‘people’ in this forum. Absolute bullshit and has completely turned me off using Scrivener. I don’t even care about v.3 anymore, or how good it may or not be. Users succinctly and eloquently voice there opinions or offer valid feedback and this is the treatment they get? No way. Uninstalling now and moving on. You should all learn how to communicate with customers and fellow users. Your pushing back against anything even slightly critical of the software shows me that your cult-like behaviour is really a little scary. Buh-bye.

They say be the change you want to see. Lunk simply told you that if you had posted for help, we would’ve helped. He’s remarking that there’s a flaw in your logic. If you just encounter a problem and don’t try to fix it, instead opting to go on the forum and tell everyone you are moving on because of some bugs, of course we’ll let you know that the energy you spent could’ve been better spent.
But yeah, accusing people of cult-like behaviors and flippantly announcing your departure is not the best attitude to have, in conversation as well as in trying to get help.
Now, if you want to change your mind, you can post in the appropriate forums, and I’m sure there will be plenty of people willing to help.

Sigh. At the risk of fouling this up even worse… @Synth, canlin05 was not the person Lunk was responding to; they just popped in to comment on Lunk’s style of commenting to EdgarO–who was responding to the OP’s (7th7andwich) decision to bail on Scrivener (because it didn’t work as they’d thought it would and wanted it to), and agreeing with them. It was the OP who introduced the suggestion of cult-like behavior.

EdgarO just popped in to say that he had a problem that he felt made Scrivener unusable for his purposes, to diss a bit, and to announce that he was moving on–without ever asking to see whether it was possible to do what he wanted, or even fully explaining the problem. Lunk responded a bit snarkily but with a valid point. canlin05 popped in to say they won’t use the program because of perceived 'tude form people on this forum, which makes no sense to me at all.

People who like Scrivener and find it useful for their purposes do sometimes get defensive around here when people post saying that the program doesn’t act like some kind of software which it isn’t. I get that defensiveness. But honestly, it’s the Web, people put on crabby personas when they post sometimes. Or take off their non-crabby personas, whichever. If the program works for you use it. If you have a problem, ask for help and you’ll get help, not 'tude. If you think the program ought to be a different program–there are dating apps for that, I think.

EdgarO
Platform: Mac

Only one post and it’s in this thread. That’s interesting :slight_smile:

Oh hahaha you’re totally right, my mistake. :slight_smile:

Huh? :open_mouth:
What in my answer was snarky?
It wasn’t meant as irony, if that’s what you think. It was meant literally what it says.

Katherine, I admire your patience. You must get tired of this thread. Seems it’s posted every two weeks or so.

In any event - keep up the good work. I’m a huge fan of the software and honestly enjoy the learning process and the result.

Hi All

I have been a Scrivener user off and on for a number of years now and do check back here from time to time to see what’s new. Consider the following to be constructive criticism.

Over the last 12 to 18 months this forum has just become more and more toxic. If I were a professional writer looking for decent well-priced software there is no way I would even consider Scrivener based on this Feedback forum.

There seems to be little help in response to people posting (what they conceive to be serious) issues or asking questions here anymore. If anyone points out flaws/defects in the product, instead of courteous and professional replies they are often met with a barrage of useless responses, negative comments, condescension, thinly veiled sarcasm/irony or outright abuse from the Scrivener faithful.

Instead of replying with a very vague RTFM, which insults most people, why not reply politely with a page reference in the manual or link to a particular tutorial (if you think it will help the poster). If the feature doesn’t exist, redirect the poster to the correct “feature request” forum. Simple and effective good customer support…

There is a great lack of courtesy and professionalism being displayed in this forum by both by the responders and L&L support in some cases. You can suggest that people try the beta version; however, no professional writer would/should ever consider using a beta version of any software for their paid work. There is simply too much risk involved (having worked in the IT industry for over 30 years I know the consequences that occur when work is lost due to user errors or faulty software!). Also, given the vast timeline for the new Windows v3 release, why even bother suggesting people try the beta until a firm release date is made available. As mentioned by the OP, a beta/development version of any software is useless to a professional writer.

The other thing is this whole “philosophy” concept, which often comes up as a defence by the Scrivener faithful. This airy-fairy idea of what the software was intended for is self-limiting and will obviously impact L&L sales. Pretty much all modern word processing (i.e. “writing”) software is WYSIWYG. To state that this is in conflict with some imposed “philosophy” is like shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to acquiring new customers. Professional writers want professionally written software with all the standard modern document editing and management features (mostly based on MS Word; that’s just how it is) and they will be happy to pay for it. Anything beyond that is just candy that will help sell the product.

Personally, I believe that software like Scrivener is becoming more and more outdated as new visual storytelling applications come online (like Causality). This is where I would be looking if I were looking for modern professional writing software. The old index card mentality for story development is outdated and counterintuitive (you can disagree if you like but the latest advances in brain science would indicate otherwise). In the meantime (professionally) I continue to use “industry standard” writing software, which is backed by the professional developers and support engineers, industry, and a massive user-base. Tried and tested.

So, in future when you reply to someone with questions or problems, please, please re-read your reply before hitting “submit” and simply ask yourself: “how would I feel if someone replied to my (major) problems like this?”. Does your reply make you cringe? If so, rethink it…

These are just my observations and suggestions as a long-term occasional Scrivener user and member of this forum so you shouldn’t feel offended if you have done the right think. Good luck with Scrivener, and I mean that in a nice way. I have already moved on.

I have to disagree with you.

Posters with questions and in need of assistance receive help from any number of forum members and the L&L staff.

People who (like yourself later in your post) who demand that L&L change Scrivener to suit them, or say that Scrivener is doomed etc, usually get a polite response pointing out their demand is not possible for technical reasons, or that it is just not the vision Keith has for Scrivener. (It is HIS company and program after all).

Where people start to push back is then the original poster refuses to accept the feedback, insisting their way is right, L&L are wrong, etc, accusing anyone who disagrees with them of being rude, fanboys etc.

I’ve lost count of the number of armchair coders insisting all L&L have to do is alter a few lines of code, employ more staff, punish staff for missed deadlines _ the list is endless. Often these people seem to be first time posters with a limited grasp of the complexities of software development, or just trolls.

Of course when they don’t get their way, they and their supporters accuse forum members and L&L staff of being rude etc. seems mirrors are in short supply in their study/office.

Sometimes, after the polite reply falls on unhearing ears, the blunt reply is ‘doing the right thing.’

Any person who trials Scrivener is welcome to decide it doesn’t suit their style or work process, and L&L staff (and forum members) have never complained when a poster has said that as a statement and not a threat.