Activation Issue Again

I’m having the same issue. I bought Scrivener for PC a little over a year ago with the understanding that my license would be valid for V3 once it released. Now that it is out in the wild, I’ve installed it but cannot use it because I’m getting this message:

[code]
The license you have provided is not valid for Scrivener 3. If you have already upgraded then ensure you are using the correct serial number. You may request an additional copy of your purchases from our serial number retrieval page.

License does not match product.[/code]

Pretty infuriating.

I have the same problem. I posted it on Feedback on Wednesday but no one responded so I figured I must be the only one. Also, when I reentered my activation code, it was accepted again. So I thought no problem.

Until today, when it happened again.

Then I tried the first solution. Making sure my old 1.9x was up to date. Surprise! The kicked me into Trial mode, too. (Do I now need to reenter that serial number to update that program before trying 3 again? Why are these two folders even linked. Aren’t they separate programs?

Not the savviest user of programs so real hesitant about going into folders and deleting files, etc. This bug didn’t happen during the long Beta test. Why now?

Yeah, I thought the same thing. My beta has locked me out as well so I’m more or less stuck at the moment. I had thought of syncing to my iPad via dropbox but because I can’t even get into the Windows version I can’t sync.

You are entitled to a free upgrade, but you’ll need to get a new license key. Our store should recognize your email and apply the appropriate discount automatically.

Katherine

You don’t need access to the Windows version to transfer a project via Dropbox. Install the Dropbox software on your computer, and move the entire .scriv folder to the Dropbox folder via Windows Explorer.

Full instructions here: scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … g-with-ios

Katherine

I have spent a miserable morning trying to upgrade to v3. You continue to:

• Refuse to acknowledge I have a legal license
  • When I recover it , I get purchase and license information
  • When I try to upgrade with the license number, I get this:

but no coupon.

• When I then attempt to update by entering the license no into v3 it tells me that the license is invalid.

I have put in a support ticket but this is really the amateur hour.

Now I have to worry about losing work.

Thanks, guys

Again, Scrivener 3 will not accept a Scrivener 1 license. Our store should apply the appropriate discount for your new license automatically.

Katherine

This happened to me again today. I’ve been keeping my activation code on a sticky note so I can paste it in quickly, but this is a pain. If I don’t use Scrivener for a few days, guaranteed the next time I start it up I have to enter my code again. Please fix!

I have just hit this problem for the first time today (1 June 2021). I bought an upgrade when 3.0 shipped and everything worked fine until today. Like other people, I hadn’t used Scrivener on this machine for a few days.

Luckily I had my licence code to hand, so it didn’t take long to reactivate, but it would be nice to have a fix for this. Thanks, Jim

A reminder that L&L does not address licensing issues via the forums; send a note to L&L support via email so they can work with you.

What is the email please? I have purchased the license -and am a new user- and ran into the same issue.

Our contact page, and email addresses, can be found here.

Version 3 randomly deactivated on me as well. Been using it pretty regularly for a few weeks, then I open it up and get hit with that. Unlike some of the others, I had been using it over the previous days. I have my key of course, and it accepted it, but please fix this. I don’t want to have to worry about whether Scrivener is a reliable tool if I happen to travel somewhere without internet access and can’t talk to the activation servers.

Same thing here. I’m activated okay, but randomly have to redo it. (Ver. 3)

If I don’t use Scrivener for a few days, guaranteed the next time I start it up I have to enter my code again. Please fix!

This is my second time in this thread - I’ve been prompted to return because it randomly deactivated yet again.

A reminder that L&L does not address licensing issues via the forums; send a note to L&L support via email so they can work with you.

I’ve seen this note above, but I don’t believe that this isn’t a licencing issue in that I have a licence that works absolutely fine - the issue is that it gets repeatedly deactivated after some days/weeks for no obvious reason. Let me describe the process:

Sometimes I open up (Windows v3) and it’s fine. Sometimes I get through a few sentences before the “you have been deactivated” popup appears, and I have to root through my emails and re-add the licence key.

Re-adding the licence key never fails, it’s just that it is later deactivated in-between app openings.

Hope there’s a fix for this soon - or that someone figures out what I’m doing wrong so I can stop doing it! (I’m not doing anything wild that I can think of… just opening the app, using it, closing it again.)

It’s a licensing issue, in that you and others are having trouble keeping your license activated on your PC.

While this issue is apparently occurring to mulitple customers, it is not widespread–that is, it’s not happening to everyone, just a relatively small subset of users.

Because it’s a small subet of users, it has been difficult for L&L and their licensing provider to nail down what is going on. There is–possibly–something about your specific PC and/or network configuration that is causing the licensing validation process to fail for you and the other people in this thread, but not for me and the thousands of other customers who don’t experience this issue.

So, all that said, as requested above, please contact L&L directly at the email address provided and report the issue to them, so they can work with you directly. They may have to gather personal info, so they can’t handle it here on the forum. Maybe you’ll be the customer that helps them figure it out. :metal:

Best,
Jim

1 Like

Okay @JimRac, understood. I’ll drop them an email and see if I can help out.

I’m also a software dev so I do understand the difficulty of getting decent bug reports to track down intermittent issues - so hopefully you’ll turn out to be correct :smiley:

Unless I am mistaken, I thought one of the L&L folks mentioned fairly recently that there are some accounts on the Paddle server-side that have issues that need to be cleared up, which is one of the reasons behind these licensing drop-outs, and that it’s not necessarily an issue with the user’s PC at all.

Which is why contacting support, so they can work with Paddle and clear up the registration account, is the only way to meaningfully resolve this issue.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification!

2 Likes

Have you considered selling through the Microsoft store? I’ve never had these issues with anything I’ve bought there, and I think you either can now or will soon be able to list non-UWP apps. Their fees are also quite low from what I understand (much lower than Apple’s, I believe.)

I bring this up because my version 3 deactivated again. I sent an email to support as others have suggested, hopefully that will do something?