Blank Scrivener Files

I accidentally deleted a folder in my scrivener project and didn’t realize it until a month later. I panicked and ended up finding my folder saved in a backup. I started using the backup (saved as a separate project) and went back to work on the original project but all my files are blank! I am freaking out and have lost a lot of work from over a month. Every file is blank and every backup version is also blank that has my most recent folders. All my folders are still there and named, but there’s no text. Everything’s blank.

Is there anything I can do to retrieve my lost text!!!

Look at this post and see if it fits your situation.

Well, I’m using Scrivener 1, so I’m not sure if indeed my files got detached as someone had mentioned in that post? If they did, I’m not really sure what that entails! :joy:

Are you using a cloud service such as Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive?

1 Like

No. I was just using backups through Scrivener that it would occasionally do. I have a bad tendency to leave projects open for a long time (but am constantly saving them), is there anyway to go back to previous saves? I guess unlike word, it’s backups that matter more than saves.

…is there any way to go back to previous saves

Your backups made by Scrivener are your previous saves. Windows does not back up user data such as Scrivener files (Restore Points include only OS files, drivers, and apps – EXE and DLL files).

It is late Sunday night where I live, so perhaps wait for the European world to wake up in about 4 hours and see if someone else has an idea. But I can say, it does not look good unless there is a Scrivener-produced backup that you overlooked.

Are you sure you’re not using the Zipped version of your project? Backups are compressed by default and you have to unzip the using 7-zip for the project to open correctly in Scrivener.

Zip and unzip files - Microsoft Support.

Without using a third party tool in Windows, here is what Microsoft says.

I have definitely unzipped the backup files correctly. All of my folders I created are in there. Some of my most recent text files are in there, but the majority of my documents are blank and empty. Which is weird considering that the folders are there but all my text is just gone.

Did all of this take place on the same computer, or have you transferred the project between computers at any point?

In a Scrivener 1 project, having items present in the Binder but blank is almost always a sign that the .scrivx file – the master index used to build the Binder – does not match the actual contents of the project. The most common way for this to happen is through a synchronization error, but it can also happen if you attempt to email a project without zipping it, if you simply move the .scrivx file, and so on.

It all took place on the same computer. Is there any way to fix it then?

Please open a support ticket, here:

And attach one of the problem projects. We can dig around inside and see what’s there.

Are you using any third-party backup or cleanup utilities?

If the problem is that the .scrivx file is wrong, that’s fixable. But if the content files are actually missing, (1) probably something other than Scrivener is involved and (2) there’s nothing there to recover.

I’m not using any third party backup or cleanup utilities. I’ve just been letting Scrivener save files automatically and backup to my computer.

I have sent a message to scrivener already and haven’t received any messages back yet.

1 Like

So I found a backup of my project that when I open it all my folders that are empty, look like they have text in them for a second, but then they all start vanishing and going blank and empty again.

Is there any explanation as to what that means? Do you think that gives me hope that it’s possible to get my work back? :sweat_smile:

Are you sure you’re not using a cloud service? What you are describing is pretty much a textbook description of cloud-related synchronization issues.

1 Like

Yes! I’m a thousand percent sure. I don’t have any cloud services connected to scrivener or even my laptop.

OneDrive ships with Windows and I have seen it on by default. Check your Start menu for it. You may be “using” it and not know it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I checked but I don’t have OneDrive on my laptop. Not anywhere that I can find.

This is a long shot -

Check if the text exists but is colored same as editor background (eg white on white).

2 Likes

Also look at size of the project. If nearly the same size before error occurred then likely data still there.

1 Like