Can i easily print the Binder

Eh, the Windows version hasn’t bound the shortcut yet, but if not, Edit ▸ Copy Special ▸ Copy as Structured Link List works, since outside of Scrivener it will just be text (and one could paste and match style to nuke the links in Scrivener).

2 Likes

That works.
:+1:
. . . . . . .

At this point, why not just paste to a new document and print that sole document…?
No need for a third party app.
Just paste it back like this:

Good Morning Vincent!
i tried your suggestions. They did not appear to work.
in compile format designer,
“separator” tab selected and
separators before and after
folders and text files both set to
“single return” in both cases

    compiled  into a word document.

in viewing the word document, i still get a blank line inserted between the folders identified in my binder.

since i asked the compile to create a document in word, i was able to manually remove the extra lines. however, two things seemed very odd.

first the spacing was still not correct even though word no longer showed
the extra lines. secondly the font size indicated 20 points and font name of Candara. But if i look at the font name and size in word style section for the
word style of “normal” the font is indicagted at 12 point and font name was arial and the paragraph settings were all zero.

it is almost as if the scrivener created word document presents in word
but all its meta data (style info) is not read by word. very weird.

i should learn how to post screen shots so you can better see what i am experiencing.

Screenshots are not allowed during the first few days for new users.
If you still can’t post one (you should try again today) it shouldn’t be much longer that you’ll get permission.

P.S. Check your private messages. :wink:

1 Like

incorporated your idea of using color for highlighting in my binder.

i tried labeling the new colors i made for myself. the label persists
but is not see next to custom color

I’ve created a new thread with the how to of the label color coding so that topics don’t get all mangled up.

2 Likes

Thank you! I had the same issue for different reasons (wanting the chapter/subject titles for a separate spreadsheet) … your instructions were clear and solved it for me. I appreciate you took the time to put in the screenshots too. It was awesome to find a solution that worked, I was floundering around.

1 Like

Print Preview for the Outline has all the information I want for this “Print the binder” task, but the layout isn’t practical (multiple lines per item, wasted space).

Is there a way to adjust this output?

Or would the only solution be to switch to a custom compile format?

Thanks for your help!

(Scrivener on Windows)

This is how it comes out :
Title
Synopsis
Metadata
– Empty line –
Title
Synopsis
Metadata
– Empty line –

If this is not functional for you, either use a custom compile format, or perhaps make the outliner look just the way you want it to, screenshot it and print the screenshot(s).
(The custom compile format would be your best option by far, in the long run, though.)
–> There is already a factory compile format for outlines, btw. See if it works for you? Else, it surely would be a good starting point. If you want the indents per level and all, you’d just have to mod it a bit so that the overall matches your requirements.

Not that I know of. (Which doesn’t mean that there isn’t one, but I doubt it.)

I have a slightly different output:

Title
Metadata1, metadata2
(Words: nnn)
empty line

Which is nice because I couldn’t get the number of words of each part in the compile output.

(I asked here Word count placeholder by file - #6 by LoneDraft )

So, what I do is that

  1. I print the outilne in PDF,
  2. then I print the PDF in text only (direct print the Outline from Scrivener to Text Only printer fails with strange characters…),
  3. then I process the text file with a custom javascript program,
  4. and it builds my required output.

Below Movement and Episode are the folder names, and Unit xxxx are the filenames.

It shows a visual bar for the length.

Looks good. :slight_smile:
. . . . . . . . . .