Read another user had a similar problem, but no solution was mentioned and the thread died. I am working off of my local D: external drive, not a cloud service.
Any suggestions are helpful. As you can see, Iʻve had to already use a backup and it worked fine, but now it wonʻt back up. No changes were made to my computer since day before yesterday when the problem popped up.
It happens even when backups are not activated and I just look to do a SAVE AS keeps thinking I want to save into a scriv folder even though I AM NOT.
Luckly, So far, I have found that the save does save the current open project and syncs seem to still work.
Backup folders only have DRAFT and FILES, NO Settings or Snapshots or even the project file itself are in it. It just started happening out of the blue.
That is what the program error is. I am not saving to C. I am simplying running a “back up now” when it get it OR it also happens when I do any auto backup function, save, close, yada yada.
I have disabled auto backups entirely because it hangs up at all points blocking any save. Luckily, as I mentioned, I notied that a regular save (after disabling the backup) results in a nice saved copy.
Save As results in a constant cannot save to a scriv project folder, NO MATTER WHERE I point it. Even the desktop.
My hunch it has something to do with Windows permissions or hardware issues? … but what I don’t know. Re-boot help anything?
The message about “temporary copy destination” is odd.
I specify backup location to be ~/Backups/Scrivener and store a “zip” files with dates in the file name, keeping 25 copies … in case you doing this might fix something. Dunno. Hard to tell from here, other than unlikely to be caused by the Scrivener app. Just a hunch.
Have you tried Options > General >Warnings> Internal log and looking at what happens when try to save. You could send a screen shot to L&L or post here. That info might help.
Screenshot your auto backup settings (even if they don’t work), just blank out your username.
If you Save As you should change the name each time. You can’t Save As to the current name and save location, since the project is open—Windows generally intervenes.
Saving multiple projects to a single folder should work, say Documents\Scrivener as each projects is self-contained in its own [ProjectName].scriv folder.
Hi, thanks for taking the time, yeah I had the backups set to max, 25 with dates or whatever. Now with a clean install it’s whatever the defaults are. I fussed with my folder permissions to no avail, but that C: temp folder seems to be a holding that self deletes, but it being full makes no sense with over 100G available.
Since uninstalling and reinstalling everything is whatever the default is now 3 I think, except for of course my destinations, and the error still occurs. I have tried a google drive G: backup folder and also my external drive D: and it happens both times. I have copies stored all over just because I donʻt want to lose my work. My MS is almost done.
I find myself rechecking that I have a new save every hour or so, just in case the laptop shuts down or something. Pretty scary.
Okay. I just did that and did find an error that happens repeatedly. Its a long, long log probably not good to post here, but the error that gets repeated is this:
I’m having this same problem. Has anyone resolved it?
Thanks, Mary
Hi I decided to give a little more background on this problem. I’ve been using scrivener for 10 years and I never had this problem before. Could it be because I just got a new laptop and it’s something to do with that?
I have plenty I have plenty of space in all the places that I have tried to save a backup no matter what I do I get this message that it cannot make a temporary copy and so I’m not allowed to close I can continue to close but it doesn’t save my work. I would appreciate any help from anyone who has some ideas on this thanks
I did a search for the word “virus” in this thread, and found nothing. If someone did mention this using different words, my apologies, but it seems to me whenever it comes to software being blocked from performing its basic file management tasks, one should first check to make sure their anti-virus scanner isn’t “protecting” their hard disk from it.
Scrivener uses the bog standard user temporary files area for operations like this. It is an area all software should be able to make use of for files that aren’t meant to last beyond the day. If can’t do that, I would be nervous about anything it is trying to do elsewhere (such as loading or saving projects).