Continuing my exploration of footnote<>endnote switching to include footnotemarks/footnotetexts and endnotemarks/endnotetexts

Update: Upon further inspection, I’ve learned that by redefined the Enclosing markers for footnotes: from \footnote{ } to \altnote{ }, the Footnote item in the toolbar image, is effectively redefined to create \altnote{ } s in lieu of \footnote{ } s.

Although it would be nice to be able to rename the Footnote toolbar item to Altnote for consistency, the ability to change the name of all \footnote{ } s
to \altnote{ } s gets me closer to where I want to be.

So for now, my question posed below is now moot.

My next step is to proceed with writing the code I hope will allow for a streamlined selection of footnotes or endnotes, with the commensurate option to select footnotemarks/footnotetexts or endnotemarks/endnotetexts, by chapter/section/subsection.

Apologies for my initial lack of understanding of how the Enclosing markers for footnotes: is connected to the Footnote item in the toolbar image.

Thanks,
scrive

I am continuing my exploration of how to facilitate switching between footnotes and endnotes as a tool to better manage the competition between text and graphic items in my LaTeX document. My immediate question is to learn if I’ve missed something in Scrivener, not as a Wishlist item or a LaTeX item, although the question may touch on those areas.

Although back in Nov '21 there was a lengthly, productive discussion on the subject of switching between footnotes and endnotes, the code developed as part of that discussion does not address how to accommodate footnotemarks/footnotetexts and endnotemarks/endnotetexts which are crucial when using any number of LaTeX devices such as minipages, et al.

My Question is: Is it possible to either:

• Redefine the Footnote item in the toolbar image, or
  • To create and define a brand new toolbar item similar to the Footnote item.

I can explain in greater detail if anyone is interested.

The goal is to create a combined, generic alternative footnote/endnote that can easily be switched or selected by adding an initial line of code at the beginning of each chapter/section/subsection to control the behavior of the alternative footnotes/endnotes for that chapter.

The decision of whether to use footnotes or endnotes in a particular chapter would depend on the nature of the arrangement of graphic items, as well as the nature of footnote/endnotes, that inhabit the chapter/section/subsection.

Controlling the use of footnotes versus endnotes with a single line of code in each chapter/section/subsection would actually be less work that the current methodology, that requires the insertion of the ‘@’ character as the initial character in the text of each footnote, to convert each footnote to an endnote.

Although redefining the Footnote item in the toolbar is not a requirement, it could streamline implementation. Instead of a redefinition, I could use a global replacement/redefinition of \footnote{ } to \altnote{ } to achieve the same goal, once I’ve redefined the Enclosing markers for footnotes: to \altnote{ } in lieu of \footnote{ }, e.g.:

Please note, this is just an inquiry in case I have missed an existing feature within Scrivener, not a Wishlist item nor a LaTeX item.

I ask as a prelude to help me decide how to proceed with creating the code necessary to implement my strategy to simplify and expand the selection of footnotes or endnotes to include the implementation of footnotemarks/footnotetexts and endnotemarks/endnotetexts in my LaTeX code.

Thanks for reading,
scrive
:thinking: