Creating story grids

I’m really enjoying Scrivener. The Corkboard feature and Outliner are fantastic!

I’ve always worked from a story grid as I go along (the type of story grid I’m referring to is the kind mentioned in The Screenwriter’s Bible by David Trottier ).

I’ve set up a table as a separate non-compilable file for this purpose. It becomes an easy reference, one that I keep up and fill in on a divided pane in the editor as I type a scene. I would love to see the table have a little more functionality, such as being able to adjust the column widths.

What I’ve set up using table insert:

J.K. Rowling’s Order of the Phoenix story grid:

1 Like

Hi washbear,

The Outliner combined with custom metadata fields should provide this exact functionality. You don’t need a separate table.

Have you tried that? If not, see the interactive tutorial in the Help menu for further details.

Let me know if you have any specific functionality questions.

Best,
Jim

2 Likes

Awesome! I was wondering if that might work in the Outliner. I’m still getting the hang of metadata. Will give it a try. Thank you!

1 Like

Yay! It worked! Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

Can this persist? In a Layout or in personal .prefs?
You don’t want to use the Outliner like this all the time…

Why not? :wink: But seriously, column selections and widths are not part of what’s saved with a layout, because it’s something (especially metadata) that varies from project to project. What’s saved in a layout is detailed in manual section 12.3.1.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Custom metadata columns lose text wrap and column position in outliner