Endnote (Footnote?) Formatting on Compile

Hi there,

I’m trying to format my endnotes so that they aren’t super-scripted in the document, but are rather a space with the relevant incremental number locked inside a pair of square brackets. Below, number one is what Scrivener is doing, but I need it to format like number two.

1. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua¹.

2. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua [1].

The latter format is the requirement for IEEE (and possibly other formats as well) but this is the first large paper that I’ve written using Scrivener so I’ve never had to worry about this before.

My citation manager is Bookends. I’ve even tried compiling the document to a docx or rtf and changing the format is Microsoft Word, but even though it’ll pick up the references and format them correctly in IEEE format as an endnote, I can’t get it to change the style (as per above) for the inline citation format.

Thanks in advance!

Scrivener itself does not have any settings for producing this kind of result, or indeed changing the look of the footnote anchor itself. However they should be styled to “Footnote Anchor” character style, where you can remove the superscript effect in Word.

As far as I know, no mainstream word processor allows for the addition or brackets around the anchor in the main body itself, just in the main footnote/endnote number at the bottom. Any solution I’ve ever seen for that involves running an advanced search for footnote anchor codes and replacing with brackets around the original code—so text search and replace.

I could be wrong, this isn’t my area of expertise, but I typed brackets footnote anchor word libreoffice how to and got a lot of people saying you can’t do it, and here’s how to use the search and replace tool properly…

I think most tools will let you put braces around the footnote anchor, but they won’t generate the braces as part of the footnote creation process.

Probably LaTeX can – there isn’t much LaTeX can’t do – but it’s been so long since I used it that I’ve forgotten how.

Nisus Writer Pro footnote settings (same for endnotes):

:grin:
Mark

PS You can scan Bookends directly in NWP with the Bibliography automatically placed at the end of the document.

Seeing as how LaTeX has a large variety of IEEE-specific document classes to choose from, I suspect there is probably something out there that does not only that, but everything else one would need to write a paper in conformance with standards. A number of these are even officially sanctioned by IEEE.

If the journal the OP is submitting to takes .tex submissions, it wouldn’t be too difficult to take the generic LaTeX starter project template (in the Non-Fiction section) and adapt one of these to it.

Bookends even has a workflow for this. That post discusses using Pandoc instead of pure LaTeX, but that is not a necessity, as that is a writing aid for producing the .tex (as is the project template).

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I’m disappointed that this isn’t something that Scrivener can handle, but I appreciate the suggestions and different options. Honestly, I really appreciate the effort you folks have shared here :smile:

This is one thing, but I think you will find in general Scrivener’s output is more about getting things along into another program or tool that is more about layout and final design. If you limit it to what its checkboxes do, yeah… it’s pretty limited and basic and you probably will not be able to get a perfectly formatted document out of it for anything that needs to conform to a style guide. It’s more about the writing process than that kind of stuff, and that is where we would prefer to spend our time.

But, to say it doesn’t do it at all, when you can set it up to integrate with LaTeX and produce a PDF when clicking the compile button… well it gets a little blurry at that point. If we invalidate the integration of other engines to produce output, then technically Scrivener can’t make Mobi files, nor OpenDocument, and on Windows it can’t even make DOCX files. So yes, a little blurry indeed. :smiley: