This feature has been around for a while now, yes. It is available on both platforms within the Documents menu, though the terminology is different: “Change Alias Source…” on the Mac, and “Change Shortcut Target…” on Windows.
It’s also worth noting that Scrivener (on Mac only at the moment) does attempt to “self-heal” broken links, but this will generally only work well if the project and the linked items are located relative to one another in the same folder area. For example a link to a file in the same folder as the project should be found if the whole folder is moved to another disk or computer, or a file in a subfolder adjacent to the project. If they are all quite “distant” from one another though, then yeah, it would have no idea where to go looking for them.
Today upon opening Scrivener a lot of my aliased research files have what appear to be broken aliases, numbering in the 100s, easily. The only thing that I did this week on my Mac is have Spotlight reindex my HD. That’s it, other than switching to a new backup software on my NAS, which is currently running. I didn’t move the files, and they are still where they were before in Finder. Everything was working properly just a couple of days ago. Needless to say, this is a bit of a crisis, as it would be a massive amount of labor to reconnect broken aliases. Help please. (I’m using the most up-to-date version of Scrivener on my Mac.)
I did reinstall Scrivener, and that didn’t fix the issue. Also, I was able to successfully “Change Shortcut Target” without a problem. Rebuilding all of these would be very laborious and take many hours.