Fixing Research Aliases

I have a number of aliases in my project which no longer map to the correct research files on the file system. (At some point I moved files from Dropbox to iCloud)

I found a long ago post about this:

which suggested there might be a feature to support it, but I cannot find that feature and I’m on the latest Mac version.

Any suggestions on resolving this other than re-importing?

This feature has been around for a while now, yes. It is available on both platforms within the Documents menu, though the terminology is different: “Change Alias Source…” on the Mac, and “Change Shortcut Target…” on Windows.

It’s also worth noting that Scrivener (on Mac only at the moment) does attempt to “self-heal” broken links, but this will generally only work well if the project and the linked items are located relative to one another in the same folder area. For example a link to a file in the same folder as the project should be found if the whole folder is moved to another disk or computer, or a file in a subfolder adjacent to the project. If they are all quite “distant” from one another though, then yeah, it would have no idea where to go looking for them.

1 Like

Today upon opening Scrivener a lot of my aliased research files have what appear to be broken aliases, numbering in the 100s, easily. The only thing that I did this week on my Mac is have Spotlight reindex my HD. That’s it, other than switching to a new backup software on my NAS, which is currently running. I didn’t move the files, and they are still where they were before in Finder. Everything was working properly just a couple of days ago. Needless to say, this is a bit of a crisis, as it would be a massive amount of labor to reconnect broken aliases. Help please. (I’m using the most up-to-date version of Scrivener on my Mac.)

I did reinstall Scrivener, and that didn’t fix the issue. Also, I was able to successfully “Change Shortcut Target” without a problem. Rebuilding all of these would be very laborious and take many hours.

Maybe I need to start a new thread…