How do you "deal" with text?

They need more emptiness. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Or rather, they want it. Aside from this preference, which I don’t share, I can see one practical reason: If you frequently switch between wildly different keyboard layouts, no letters are better than wrong ones.

Sometimes people have weird reasons. I can’t stand backlit keyboards with proximity sensors. They turn the backlight on when using the keyboard, and off when not. To “save battery”, even when permanently plugged in. (I won’t name brands.) Okay. But I only look at my keyboard when I’m not using it. And then I want it to look nice.

I have a faint recollection of a forum rule against storking. Maybe that’s why.

Damn, you’re good. That’s really funny :man_bowing:

1 Like

For large chunks, I don’t. I use Scrivener’s Document → Split and → Merge commands instead. Do the actual moving using the Binder.

4 Likes

In addition to pushing paragraphs up and down, you also have a Select Sentence with Storks Spaces command. So, a keyboard macro to push sentences up and down is not far away.

2 Likes

Thanks @gr Moving entire sentences is actually something I almost never need to do… I’m not really sure why :thinking:

Don’t you just drag phrases and sentences, and even paragraphs around?

Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V are so ingrained, I do it even in textboxes when I suspect I’ll need the text later.

But dragging and Dropping text is my default way of working when editing text.

1 Like

I probably tend to overengineer my actions. Which ultimately leads to even more complexity instead of simplification.

What I’m really trying to do is keep my eyes on the screen and minimize the need to switch back and forth between the mouse/trackpad and the keyboard.

Shift + arrow keys typically. If it’s a large blob I’ll just the mouse (trackball is my preference). I also make extensive use of CMD + Left/Right Arrow in lieu of Home/End keys.

To select the whole line, CMD+Left Arrow moves the pointer, then SHIFT + Down Arrow selects.

2 Likes

Okay, that actually has its roots in word processors and not programming IDE’s. Look up WordStar sometime. For its earlist editions it was used on computers that did not have dedicated arrow keys or many multi-function keys, only the SHIFT and CONTROL modifier keys and so the methods your talking about became the only way to move around. Later on programmers found they liked the simplicity of mouse in the right hoof and the left side of the keyboard under the left hoof, even when they ended up with both hooves-in-mouth.

3 Likes

I don’t know, but if you say so :slight_smile: What I do know is that it doesn’t work if you use keys that you often need when typing quickly.

But it inspired me to try something based on that idea. I’m currently testing a simple keyboard-based navigation system using the “4” key (and “3” is right next to it). Keys I rarely use. “4” is surprisingly easy to reach with the left index finger without looking. For me, anyway. We’ll see :slight_smile:

4 alone → 4

4 + j → One character to the left

4 + k → One character to the right

4 + u → One line up

4 + Space → One line down

4 + h → Start of line

4 + ;/ö → End of line

4 + Backspace → Forward delete

4 + Enter → Enter

4 + z → ESC

If 3 is pressed in addition to 4:

4 + 3 + j → Selects text to the left of the cursor

4 + 3 + k → Selects text to the right of the cursor

Release 3 → Copies the selected text

4 + ,/ä → Pastes the text

Hack: Make a firmer separation between writing and editing. “Write now, noodle later.”

1 Like

Now you’re just jinking us.

Unless

1 Like

This starts to sound more and more like vim.

1 Like

Thanks, but if I notice that I made a typo in the second-to-last word or left one out, I’ll correct it right away :slight_smile:

This does seem strange, but there’s a reason for it.

This “system” also works in “lists”; once you’ve reached an item, you ‘start/open’ it by pressing Enter. Sometimes I forget to let go of “4,” and then it wouldn’t work… So 4 + Enter is also Enter … never mind :joy:

I don’t know exactly what that is, but I think so.

image

I didn’t notice that at first :joy:

1 Like

Depending on who you ask, it’s either an ancient torture device or the only true way of editing text. I’d say it’s ballet. Looks beautiful, I can admire it for it’s elegance, but at the same time don’t expect me to do it. :see_no_evil_monkey:

2 Likes

And this gives me a clue I didn’t have before. You are using a keyboard layout other than ISO-English.

I hope your method works for you, I’m not sure which keyboard you are using, so I cannot offer much help.

As for WordStar and using Control+W/A/S/D to move around, it was from the 1970’s using equipment designed in the 1960’s.

Yes, @November_Sierra the reasons it sounds like Vim are because that early method of navigation is still used in Vim

2 Likes

The Vim vs EMACs text editor holy wars are legion. Mostly a struggle of the mid 1980’s through the early aughties though, and completely absent from the Windows world. It’s *NIX thing, you wouldn’t understand.

VI was the first https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi\_(text_editor)?wprov=rarw1 in 1976, later improved to VIM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim\_(text_editor) in 1992.

GNU EMacs GNU Emacs - Wikipedia came around in 1984.

The storied history of these two digital sibinlings, and their sibling rivalry is an interesting diversion at this point. Those of us that were active in computers in that era remember it less fondly.

3 Likes

You think this is over? :joy:

1 Like

No. I know it is not over until one editor crushes them all into oblivion along with all who refuse to foreswear foolish oaths!

LONG LIVE ED!!

2 Likes