Images not taking entire width of page (pdf compiling)

Hi guys,

I have a map in the beginning of my book. I’ve used the following code to get the image to appear:

<$img:<$custom:Image>;w=800>

And it appears but it’s quite small. There is a lot more room left left and right of it. Standard width is 400 (I think). Then I added the “w=” statement and increased to 600. When compiled, the image increased a bit in size. Then I used 800 (as above), but the image is still the same size as with 600. Something is overriding my command, aka blocking the image from getting bigger. I would understand if this is the case when the width of the paper is reached, but it doesn’t take up the entire (A4) page yet. How do I get the image to be compiled bigger (on my entire page)? Is the issue in the compiler somewhere? The margins are definitely wide enough, because the text below the image is wider than the image itself. But evenso, I’d like to have the option to override the margins for only one image in particular. The image is very good quality and of a big size.

It seems that there is some internal cap on the width in the program. There must be a way to override any margins by setting the width yourself, right? I though the code could do this, but apparently it’s not powerful enough. It might be something with the compiling options, but a thorough search did not yield anything.

I know Scrivener is not a good program for layout and images, but I have just one map, that should doable I think!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

T.

What file format are you Compiling to? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m compiling to PDF!

The page itself has margins that are set in the page settings tab of the compile format.
Likely you’d want to set them all to zero.
But that would impact the sum of your content.
Perhaps you’ll need to rather use a PDF editor to assemble your compiled output (no image) with the image as a file of its own afterwards, rather than trying to compile the whole at once in Scrivener.
(Off of the top of my head. Don’t necessarily take my word for it.)

I would also make sure that the section type and section layout of the document in which you have inserted the placeholder doesn’t have formatting/first line indent.

Thanks. Yea I’ve thought about that option, but I was so deep into compile territory that I thought there must just be a way to do this anyway. It’s only 1 image after all… Obviously I want margins for the text. Still, it’s weird to me that the image margins are different (smaller) than the general text margins.

The section formatting is centered text, so no indents or something.

If no other option, I’ll just add it seperately! Thanks for your input, T.

One doesn’t mean the other.
Make sure.
Centered text can be offset by a first line indent.

And perhaps that is why your image is smaller. First line indent or not.
I’d make that section layout (the one that the placeholder for the image ends up passing through) left aligned. Just to see.

Another thing I’d try:
Have the image properly sized in a document, instead of using a placeholder.

You are right. I tried it though, the same thing happened.

Adding the image into the editor itself yields the same result, weirdly. I can increase the size, but at the expense of the right part of the image (it starts to disappear when I make it bigger). Then, when I compile, the image turns out exactly the same again (smaller than the text), even when I blew up the image so much that it was only half visible in the editor.

I ran a test too at my end.
I think it has something to do with the size of the original.
I’ll try and stretch my image in Gimp, then use this one instead.

. . . . . . .

From what I could see, the image size is roofed.
It is not getting bigger past a certain point.
I made my image huge file-wise, then huge in Scrivener, and got the exact same output size as before.
:man_shrugging:

@drmajorbob is good with images.
And @AntoniDol is pretty smart.
On my end (I never use images), that’s all I could have done.

Thanks for your effort Vincent! Much appreciated. I had exactly the same experience as you. It seems like there is some internal program cap that is impossible to override, even when using code. Of course it’s already a lot easier to just make the pdf with an editor, but it’s become a question of principle now :wink:

So if anyone has any other ideas, please shoot!

1 Like

Perhaps your best option would be to rather compile to RTF, then insert the image in, say, LibreOffice Writer, then export to PDF.

Result:

Scrivener is just not designed/intended for this kind of image handling.

1 Like

I do my cover art in a different app. Then export as PDF (it’s just one page). Then merge the PDF with my book PDF compiled from Scrivener.

1 Like