Intuitive Up/Down Key Responses

Hello!

Google Docs and the open source Windows app Notepad++ (and Gmail) have a helpful feature. If your cursor is in the middle of a line, it will move down the page as you press the down button. If you reach the bottom line and you press it again, it will move to the end of the line. Similarly, if you go upward and reach the top, if you press it again, it will go to the start of the line.

This is great because I don’t have to stop and hunt for the end or home keys. It’s so natural to me and built into the bulk of the software I use, I didn’t even realize it wasn’t standard

2 Likes

I know it sounds absurd, but this keystroke behavior is so ingrained in me that I don’t know if I can cope without it. I love so many features of Scrivener, but this seemingly minor issue stops me in my tracks every time and I end up going to Word or Google Docs for writing and then copy and paste everything back into Scrivener simply so that I do not have to face this non-standard arrow key behavior. Is there really no way to do this even with third party solutions? I’m desperate. I want to stay with Scrivener, but this makes me crazy.

Here is a better discussion thread on the matter, including a tip at the very end that may work for anyone else coming along.