Laggy scrolling

I’m having the same problem. I recently replaced an external trackpad because of it, but the new one lags just the same. I’m going to try reloading this most recent version of Scrivener. Everything else is up to date. It’s really annoying. I am working with small single documents. No scrivening. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Back again. So I closed all my projects and quit scrivener. Then I shut down my computer and started it up again, reversing the process. And it fixed the problem. I’m wondering if it was a clash of updates on my computer and Scrivener? Anyway, it worked. Thanks to everyone for their input!

1 Like

thanks Ruth! Good to see you here!

Yes, I think I did all of this short of trackpad. Honestly just 8 days ago I upgraded to Sonoma. Prior to this, I had multiple long scrivenings open, multiple sessions, multiple docs. It ran fine.

I really do think it’s a compatibility issue with Sonoma. Were I backend, I would highly consider running 4-5 novel-length docs at once in Ventura, Monteray, and one in Sonoma. I think you’ll see the difference pretty quickly.

It’s not unusable, but it’s close. I’ve considered literally downgrading every other app on my computer just for this to work. It’s pretty bad.

1 Like

Hi Lancelot. Since you’ve upgraded to Sonoma recently, please check that you’re using Scrivener 3 version 3.3.6 (16305). You can use Scrivener > About Scrivener to check your current version number.

It’s possible that Scrivener needs to be updated to the Sonoma-friendly version to clear the lagging up.

If you continue to see lagging and it’s affecting multiple projects, I recommend that you reset Scrivener’s preferences to see if that will resolve this. This Knowledge Base article explains how to reset preferences.

A few settings in Sonoma had to be adjusted to work around Apple’s latest improvements, and that could be affecting your work.

If the lagging continues, please let us know.

I also have super laggy scrolling since updating. It’s really annoying. Mac osx Sonoma 14.2.1, Scrivener 3.3.6. Nearly unusable. I’ve tried closing all projects and restarting computer. It didn’t work. Please advise—thank you.

It’s 3.3.6 — latest version. I’ll try preferences

I’m also experiencing a scrolling lag.

Some things to note:

• It didn’t start happening until I installed Sonoma 14.2.1 (consistent with others having the problem)
  • It occurs in both Group Mode and View Mode
  • It does NOT occur with Compose
  • I was using an old version of the app (not sure which), so I updated to the latest version. This fixed the problem, but it came back after a few hours.
  • Zoom % and text size appear to be irrelevant factors. The same problem is happening on other Scrivener projects with completely different zoom %, font, and text size. Every project I’ve tested has a scrolling lag (unless I used Compose).
  • I’ve toyed around with other suggestions here. No luck so far.

Based on what I’ve learned from this thread and my own troubleshooting, I’m inclined to believe this is a compatibility bug. In any case, it’s annoying as hell. Frequently disrupts my work flow. Using Compose has a similar effect, because I often have to jump back and forth between various scene and note documents. It would be much appreciated if this was looked into further.

I’m running macOS 14.3 and Scrivener 3.3.6 on a MBP with an M1 chip, and I haven’t been able to reproduce scrolling lagging in my projects. That includes the one I have that’s over 1GB in size.

For users who are encountering lagging, these are the starting troubleshooting steps I’d recommend if this was a one-on-one help ticket:

1. Reboot the Mac if that hasn’t happened in a while. (I know it’s basic, but it cleared up a ticket with lagging issues earlier today.)
  2. If the project is stored in a cloud-syncing service or if your Mac is automatically uploading all materials in your Desktop or Documents folder to your iCloud Drive account, try moving the project out of any cloud storage and test it again.
  3. Test a second project or the Interactive Tutorial to see if it has the same issues. The key here is if lagging happens in cloud storage but not on the hard drive, then please test the second project in both the cloud and on the local hard drive.
  4. If lagging doesn’t clear up with local storage and affects multiple projects, try resetting Scrivener’s preferences as per this Knowledge Base article.
  5. If lagging affects only one project, try resetting that specific project’s display preferences using the steps on this Knowledge Base article.
  6. If lagging continues from there, please hold down the Mac’s Option key (⌥) while clicking on Scrivener’s File menu. Then, please select the Save and Rebuild Search Indexes command to see if that will clear up the issues.
  7. If the lagging persists, please try selecting the root Manuscript or Draft folder of the project. Then, click on the Scrivenings view so all the project’s documents are selected. Please click into the text and then use the Edit > Text Tidying > Zap Gremlins command. If the project has any odd invisible characters that were introduced due to copy-and-paste or importing materials, that command could clean them out.

If the lagging issues continue after that, opening a help ticket with the emails at the bottom of the contact page is likely the best move.

If you do need to open a help ticket, please include a link to this post and let our team know that you’ve worked through these steps and what the results were for each of these troubleshooting steps.

That will help us avoid asking you to test items that you’ve already used.

Since there are many things that could cause lagging, knowing the troubleshooting steps a user has already tried can be helpful.

It’s also helpful to know where the lagging project is stored, if it has a lot of styles or media files, and if any custom fonts are used.

If we start seeing trends in the help tickets, that can help us narrow down possible causes and do additional testing in-house.

I’d really love to find a common thread that can be addressed.

So I (among others in this thread, I think) am running macOS 14.2.1. If you’re running 14.3 and not having issues, my instinct would be to install 14.3 before tampering with cloud storage (because I live in eternal fear of losing loads of work, lol). Unfortunately, my MacBook says it’s up to date, so I guess Apple hasn’t rolled out 14.3 to all devices yet??? It must be brand new, because I updated to 14.2 less than a week ago. I will wait for that update to show up, I guess.

Apple released it on Monday. You could try shaking up the updater a little bit (in Terminal):

softwareupdate --list
1 Like

I filled out a help ticket after trying the lot, Ruth, thanks.

I will say, since it’s one more data point, that I CAN get an immediate response out of scroll if I click on the scroll bar and drag it. I’d be interested to see if that’s the case for folks.

If it is, it might be a trackpad gestures syncing problem compared to a simple click and move. The double finger scroll. However, I did have the same problem with a mouse wheel. So perhaps it’s an input variant: click and drag verses the actual scroll wheel / trackpad gesture? Unsure.

Curious if the lagging others experience is that.

1 Like

I have been having the same issue. I am not in scrivenings and I came here to report the same issue. I have a lag in scrolling then it continues to scroll and I can’t stop it. It’s really frustrating and creating an issue when I am trying to work. I thought maybe I was hitting the track pad but I was not. It starts when I go to scroll but I just does not stop until it gets to the end of the page (or beginning depending on which direction I was scrolling). This is in a MacBook Pro. No images, No inspector comments. I am on Sonoma 14.2.1. It happens in every file, even when I shut down Scrivener and start again. Any suggestion would be gratefully appreciated.

Sonoma famous for bugs. i undertand 14.3 current version. Perhaps give it a try.

I did update my Sonoma (didn’t know I had an update) and restarted the computer and scrivener but I’m still getting the laggy scrolling.

Pity. L&L Support will have to comment. Might be some tricks. My hunch it’s still Sonoma, but I have no way to tell, actually.

What’s your machine? I know it doesn’t help and I don’t wish to sound smug, but since I’ve been engaged in totally other things for some time and have not been doing anything in Scrivener, reading this thread prompted me to try.

I’ve just loaded a project that compiles to ca 100 A4 pages, with footnotes (inspector footnotes) on many of them and opened a Scrivenings session on the whole draft folder. Loaded almost instantly, and scrolling and typing are absolutely normal.

This is my Mac Mini with M2Pro and Sonoma 14.3. I’ll try later on my 2020 MBA, M1 Sonoma 14.3. Both have 16GB RAM.

Is your machine Intel based?

:slight_smile:
Mark

I am on a MacBook Pro 14 inch running Sonoma 14.3. The chip is apple M1 Pro. 16 gb memory.

I have same issue with laggy scrolling. Interesting that if I highlight the text in the current page and then ‘Zap Gremlins’ the issue will go away for a little while and then return. Not sure if this helps in diagnosing the issue.

Resetting my preferences seems to have worked for me (then reloading them).

2 Likes

And now the problem is back. Just as bad as it has always been…

1 Like