License manager ended unexpectedly

All right, installed and done on my second laptop as described above.

The first time I ran the newly replaced Scrivener.exe from a shortcut in the task bar on the second laptop, it stuttered with the blank opening for 10 seconds. I waited for it to execute fully, opened a project normally, and closed the program.

All subsequent openings of Scrivener v1.9 were normal on my second laptop. No delays. No white box for 10 seconds or so.

As stated above, I’ve not had nag screens more than a couple of times on my second laptop, either.

Good luck, and thanks for your efforts with everything else going on!

Thank you for the further update, Twolane! The initial delay upon first start is expected. It should not cause delays in the future.

My system is Windows 10 Pro, 64 bits

@babs: please, try my fix above.

OK, I’ve tried replacing the exe file as requested.

This is what happened:
First time I opened the program after replacing the exe file, Scrivener still hung as before. Second time it behaved… differently. I have described below.

BEFORE (with the unaltered exe file):

1. I open Scrivener.
  2. Scrivener hangs 5-10 seconds. The active document is showed, but only very few of the documents in the binder are showed. The menu (with the icons) are not showed. After 5-10 seconds they all appear and Scrivener works as usual. I’ve only had the nag message appear twice.

NOW (with the altered exe file):

1. I open Scrivener
  2. The program opens immediately. All files in the binder as well as the menu (with the icons) appear right away. BUT the program STILL hangs 5-10 seconds, this time only after the binder etc. have appeared. I’m not able to scroll or close the program during that period. After that, Scrivener works as usual.

To me, it would seem that the fix doesn’t work. It only moves the hang/freeze a bit.

ADDED:
It gets curiouser and curiouser, as Alice would say.

I did the following:

1. Deleted the altered exe file and replaced it with the unaltered exe file (the one that was hanging before the binder etc. appeared).
  2. Tried to run scrivener. It didn’t open.
  3. I rebooted the computer (Windows 10).
  4. I ran Scrivener. The program opens IMMEDIATELY (a hang time of perhaps ½-1 second).

This is with the old exe file, that was hanging before.

This is me thinking aloud: Could it be that the altered exe managed to connect to the license server, thus satisfying the “license checker” so this doesn’t make a mess when I then try to open Scrivener using the old exe file?

As I wrote above the hang upon first run is expected. Please, leave it running and do not kill Scrivener. The hang should disappear upon subsequent runs.
Yes, the new version connects to the license server successfully, but using back the old one will probably fail one more time in ~2 months. You can safely stay with the new exe until we release the official update.

ok, I tested the altered exe me too. I can’t say if it fixed the 2 months verification error (cause it happens occasionally) but it improved the hang time at start (and hopenfully freezing, I got one again just today before to test the new .exe)

First run, even with the new .exe. Scrivener hung 15-20 seconds before to resize at text scale choosen and become usable (with the “not responding” windows message meantime), next times it opens fast, in 2-3 second when the Scrivener window appears (even if the loading time, before showing the Scrivern window is slighter increased of 2-3 seconds. The app was still faster for me with 1.9.9 version)

my configuration: a intel-based notebook with Windows 10 Pro 1903, NET 4.8

Soon as possible, I will text the fix even with the secondary device I use to work with scrivener: an amd-based desktop with Windows 10 Home 1903

I have installed the fix and so far it seems to be working. I will let you know if there are any unexpected changes. Thanks so much!

I’m sorry, but I think there’s still something not quite right with the altered exe.

I tried replacing the original exe with the altered exe again. I then rebooted. When I ran Scrivener, it opened right away. I was then able to scroll the text for a fraction of a second before Scrivener froze for around five seconds (perhaps a little longer). After that, it worked fine.

However, this happens EVERY time I run the altered exe file. I tried running it again, then rebooted and ran it, then rebooted and ran it again. Every time, Scrivener starts fine, works for a second and then freezes for around five seconds.

As soon as I replace the altered exe with the old one, Scrivener starts fine without freezing.

@Jakob Hero: Can you please run ScrivenerLog.bat as an Administrator. This will generate a log file within the “log” sub folder. Please, upload the log file or the console output. Thanks.
Do you compare startup speed with v1.9.9.0 or with v1.9.13.0?

I have also installed the fix and have not gotten the message at startup (for me it was popping up almost every time I opened the program, so this is already a welcome improvement). Additionally, start up was definitely faster with altered exe file than the original exe file.

Glad it works. Thank you for the feedback, rubbersoulster!

All these fixes read terribly complicated for me. Will there be an update that will keep my Scrivener running without losing data?

@ LFernand: Yes, there will be an official update on Monday most likely, without losing any work/data.

Yay! :smiley:

Phew!

@tiho_d

I’ve sent you a PM containing the log.

I compare startup speed with v. 1.9.13.0

Hi Tiho,

The new exe works for me. I am not getting the license warning any more, but the delay when opening happens every time I Start Scrivener. (the start screen will be white and unresponsive for ~10 seconds)

I’m on Windows 8.1 .Net version 4.8

Same problem today.

Thro the summer I used scriv only occas ionally including last week without any problems… Today my W10 -1903-64 bit box offered me a MS update of KB4511555 - which is a cumulative update for .NET 3.5 and 4.8 which I installed. So that update got the blame initially when Scrivener complained about .NET being out of date and activation manager unable to connect.

I was relieved to find this thread on the forum. I have downloaded the zip file from Dropbox and implemented the swap of scrivener.exe as advised by Tiho. Scrivener now starts ok with no nag boxes or complaints other than an initial warning from W10 about the origin of the exe file being unknown.

What was at the origin of this problem?

Hi All,

I managed to find further the startup delay experienced by only some of you.(Thank You, Jakob!)
A new Scrivener.exe is available in this archive:
dropbox.com/s/v6orz5b8aq4mt … r.zip?dl=0

Please, replace Scrivener.exe as before and let me know how it goes.

Do not worry about the Windows warning. The executable is not signed with the L&L signature and because of this your get a Windows warning. Once we release the official release over the next days, it will be all fine.

Thank You, Guys!
Tiho

Here’s the image I’m getting after I move the latest Scrivener.exe to Program Files (x86) and running Scrivener:

The license server is compromised.
[ snip ]
Scrivener will now be shut down. Please reinstall the application and purchase a valid license to continue using Scrivener.

Running the original Scrivener.exe, as well as yesterday’s, results a Trial Expired notice, and it asks for an email address and a license code.

I did not go so far as to do that.