License no longer recognized and mail link to tech support rejected


Still using updated from 14 Nov 2019. Today, I finally tried to get back to writing after a long hiatus. Scrivener is no longer accepting my license and when I try to re-input it, the software asks for a valid license.

I used the webiste’s, contact tech support form and got a rejected email with this error… (VERY FRUSTRATING!) I do not get a lot of time to write and hate wasting it on getting the software to work!!

Any quick help appreciated or else I will lose this one day of writing that I set aside.

Reporting-MTA: dns;
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 6151310033343E
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822;
Arrival-Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 08:00:58 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822;
Original-Recipient: rfc822;
Action: failed
Status: 5.7.1
Remote-MTA: dns;
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 [NR] Message rejected

There were technical issues reported with the email system, but the moderator said yesterday that the messages are still getting through.
It is just the auto-reply that is misbehaving.
Likely you’ll get a response.
If not by mail, at least here.

Thanx for the quick reply! Now, I just hope I get an equally quick solution! Hehe

While you’re waiting, you could try this (Version 1.9.17): I bought a license and can't access the licensed version of Scrivener - #2 by Siren


I think you should try emailing again.
I just sent LL a test email and all went fine for me.

Use this:

The update to Version: - 07 Jul 2020 worked. Thank you!

I checked for updates when it first happened, but the software said that I was up to date. Sorry I missed this simple solution. You might want to pass along that the updater in 1.9.16… isn’t seeing the update.

Again, thank you very much. I understand that software can break, but it can be very frustrating to only have an email support processes with no idea how long you might wait for help, so I very much appreciate the quick response and solution! It saved my rare writing day :smiley:

1 Like

Did you also get an autoresponse? The issue yesterday was that emails were getting to our support system, but replies weren’t getting back out.


Not only that : Astrid just replied to my email. :wink:


As far as I understand, 1.9.17 is kind of an “unofficial” release, and not really getting advertised, so to speak.

@TheDoctor165 The version you had is the end of the road for V1.
That’s why it wouldn’t auto-update.

Ah… I see. Although, I am not sure I understand. But I am sure they have their reasons.

Still… very grateful to everyone’s help here today. When I first got the auto response that the mail was rejected, I panicked that the company might be out of business, or no longer supporting the product. It is good to know it is just a glitch.

Write on!


Yeah… I bought v3 a few years ago, but when I have time for Scrivener, I want to write, not update software. So, I have yet to install it. I am almost at the end of my novel. My intention was to install it after the draft was finished. Alas, I really have had no time to write since I bought v3. I will probably have to bite the bullet and upgrade soon. :sob:

Why ?
You can keep using V1 for as long as you want.
V3 comes with somewhat of a learning curve. Perhaps not the best of ideas to jump right into it so close to being done with a project.


That is the reason I hesitate, but if V1 is at the end of the line and loses support then these activation issues are eventually going to kill more time, maybe even become unresolvable, Then upgrading and learning the new software will be unavoidable. I hate the idea, but not sure I will have a choice the next time there is a problem.

You should be fine with the version you just installed. :wink:

Have you figured out the V1 Compile command yet? That’s where the biggest differences are. So if you haven’t, it might make sense to switch to V3 first.

But if you have, rest assured that we have no plans to discontinue V1 support. OTOH, we have no control over what our license providers do.

Or that. I agree.
. . . . .

I have used the V1 compile, but not extensively and it was years ago, so I’d probably have to relearn it by this time. The real problem for me as that I covet my Scrivener time for writing, not upgrading… or seeking out support, :D.

V3 upgrading will come. Just not today :wink: