Make Interrobangs Standard Punctuation Marks in all fonts

Apparently my Text was pasted from another post I made. My apologies.
I was trying to say that I would like to see Interrobangs incorporated into Fonts since they are not on any keyboard I know of. I haven’t found any in any font collection I have checked either. (Admittedly, not a lot)
I use a !?, ?! or ?!? etc to replace them. As in the ill pasted post previously found here. Thank You Xiamenese for pointing out my oversight. I copied and pasted from and then deleted the source of course.
So, does anyone else like or want interrobangs or have a work around?

And what does that have to do with interrobangs?

And they’re provided or not by the font creator, nothing to do with Literature and Latte.

1 Like

Thanks for the notification! Try my edited post. Does that look better?

Go to Character Viewer (Ctrl-Cmd-Space on my M1 MBA running Ventura, or Edit → Emoji and Symbols) and choose “Punctuation - All”, Its in the top line; if you select it, you’ll see all the fonts and variants that include it which are available on your machine.

Choose the one you want, make it a favourite and it should be easily available. Personally, I’m extremely unlikely to ever use it.

Mark

1 Like

That seems reasonable… hmmm… however… It isn’t installed on my Mac Studio. Even tried searching the App Store. and I didn’t see a reasonable option or native app to install.
On my intel-Air those hot keys pull up emojis and there I found an interrobang and so that worked. I wonder what is up with the studio?
Thank you for the help.

Really? It’s part of the OS, not something you have to install. Check System Settings → Keyboard that it’s not turned off somehow.

Mark

1 Like

I agree it should be in the OS or factory install. But it’s not and I can’t find anything about it in settings/keyboard. I did try restore to defaults on several items but without success.
I will take advantage of “AppleCare” later today after an upcoming meeting. Maybe they can help. I have a couple of other glitches in the system too. Like, I can “air drop” to the studio but not from the Studio.

On my Mac Studio running the latest version of Ventura, the Character Viewer is right where it’s supposed to be. Fn-E to bring it up, or the Edit → Emoji & Symbols menu in any application that supports it. So if you don’t have it it’s definitely something to talk to Apple about.

1 Like

Well at least it is in the edit menu it claims the hot key is FN (Globe Icon) by itself but that doesn’t work either FN-E gives me an e with an option box to make it capitol. But I have access to the menu that is hidden otherwise even when I searched the system. Now I am done with my meeting I will call apple anyway and see if they can help with that and my air-drop issue.
Thank You for trying to help.

Thread moved to a more appropriate location.

1 Like

Some fonts still support it.

1 Like

So, the definitive answer is there is not a character map for individual fonts Native on Mac. Yes there is the Emoji Character Viewer but that is not good for finding special characters inside selected fonts. As Mark said this is not a Lit & Latte´ issue.
Originally I thought this was a good subject for discussion to see who uses interrobangs and where/how what font etc.
I really do appreciate all the feedback though.
An Aside: Apple Support got the “air drop” fixed too.
Font character maps are available via the App Store and I might splurge on one, they seem to range from $2-to $10.

The functionality suggested IS in the built-in Character Viewer panel, but if you are pulling the panel up from the Edit > Emojis & Symbols menu item, you may need to expand the panel — which you do by tapping the little icon in the upper right of the panel. That should expose a wide panel with a navigation binder at left. Click on Punctuation there, then click on the interrobang in the resulting central pane. Then in the right pane will, as promised, be listed a long list of the interrobangs available in the various fonts installed on your Mac. Inserting one if these is just a double click away.

You might also want to look at Apple’s Font Book app (also preinstalled on your system) — which will show you the complete repertoire of a font or that font’s rendition of a string of text of your choosing.

—gr

P.S. And, no, I would never use this symbol in writing either. It could not help but call attention to itself in an undesirable way. Also, the constructs ‘?!’ and ‘!?’ are things that one should use so sparingly, it is hard to see a burning need for having a special symbol for that.

2 Likes

Under windows it works with any font. Perhaps it does the same under Mac, even though the character itself doesn’t seem to be available from the map.

What if you copy it from here → ‽
and set a substitution in the options ?
Perhaps that’ll work.

Replace ?! with ‽

1 Like

I would be wary of buying a so-called character map of a font, as that sounds a bit like a scam to me, unless I am misunderstanding what is being said. This information is freely available on a Mac using two different tools:

1. Font Book has a display mode where you can examine all of the glyphs in any font. The precise instructions differ because Apple recently changed how Font Book works.

• In the latest version, double-click on the font you want to examine, and below the Preview area you’ll find a “Repertoire” section. You can adjust the size of the glyphs with the zoom slider in the header bar. You can click on a character to get information about it or copy it to the clipboard. So that’s obviously a better tool if you want to see what a specific font supports. It is not very good for finding things blindly.
    • In previous versions you just have to click on a font in the list to examine its details on the right, and one needs to switch to Repertoire from the View menu. It’s not a terribly good tool, I’ll admit. There is no search, and the view is unnecessarily padded with whitespace making scrolling through vast amounts of glyphs a necessity. But that is how you can get this information for free at any rate (and there are better font tools for free, too, such as FontForge, which not only lets you examine a font’s characters in great detail, but actually modify the font in every way, down to what characters look like. There are probably simpler tools available for free as well—FontForge is a tool aimed at professional font designers after all).
  2. For finding which fonts support a particular character, that is what the system character finder is for, what is now called “Emoji & Symbols” in most Edit menus across the system, and is also available globally if you go into the Keyboard section of system preferences/settings, and click the Edit... button alongside your Input Source, and enable “Show Input menu in menu bar”. (Yes, this is probably unnecessarily hidden and difficult to find, but that seems to be the design goal of the new Settings panel.)

1. Now that you have it in your menu bar, use it to bring up the floating window. It first needs to be taken out of “teenager mode”, by clicking the little keyboard icon in the very top right corner. I advise running it from Finder if it comes up as a popover in a text editor.

2. Click the ... button in the top left corner of the larger window layout you now have, and select “Customize List…” from the menu. Scroll down to the bottom, looking for a section called “Code Tables”. Check the “Unicode” option, and then Done.

It’s worth noting that in this case the Interrobang character is located in the Punctuation section, but I suggest adding the full Unicode table so you can more easily find other things, too.

3. Now select the new “Unicode” option in the left sidebar. When doing so the interface will change. You can use the Search field to look for characters either by name or by searching for the character itself.

4. So search for “interrobang” and click on it in the search results.

5. On the right we see information about the character, and below that a “Font Variation” section. This is where all of the fonts installed on the system show up that can display this character—which should be quite a few!

1 Like

This was brought up using the function key.

set up here

1 Like

Because I have two keyboards set up (M2Pro Mac Mini, English and Chinese) the “Globe” key just switches between the two. But the Ctrl-Cmd-Spacebar keystroke for keyboards without the Globe key works to bring up the dialog.

Perhaps a long press on the globe would work, but I’ve been using the other for so long that it’s second nature. On the other hand, I keep catching the globe key on my new extended keyboard (which I’m still getting used to!) so suddenly find I’ve switched languages!

Mark

1 Like

Correct Vincent. My Dell Laptop has the type of Character Map I want! I can get by with the Icon from the emoji menu so I might not but then sometimes it’s nice to have special characters like the A from Danish with the circle overhead. That is the symbol for angstrom. In Solar astronomy the bandwidth’s are use are sometimes sub angstrom. I have 6 filters, not all Ha band, that are sub angstrom it would be a lot easier to write about them if I had a Danish Keyboard or a way to figure out what hot keys I need to use for that character. Without having an online discussion like this.
Thank You Amber V! The Font book is Macs Answer. But its search feature is useless. I found the interrobang and can copy it but U+203D is the HotKey‽ Now I will search for that Å. Ta Da Slow but usable for free. Thanks Amber.

Thank You Amber.
That was very helpful.

That’s one way to do it.
Another would be to search the net for the proper unicode and print a list of those codes you need to often refer to.
Or create a dedicated document and paste those special characters in it ; so you can copy paste them when needed.

å = U+00E5 / Alt+ 0229

‽ = U+203D

1 Like