Maybe It's Too Organized?

Hi! Maybe my fellow messy creatives have brought this up already, but I find it difficult to use Scriv for note taking & brainstorming, all the things that create the words & docs that need organizing. The problem is I can’t find a feature that is nearly as free-flowing as my process.

This is a problem I have with almost all software. Most apps or programs are good for notes & quick thoughts OR editing & polishing. Which is why I handwrite almost everything, including notes, scripts, and essays. I only type to transcribe from my journals. However, I really don’t want to do that for my entire thesis.

I would love if the cork board feature worked more like a real one. The “options” for this feature are far too rigid for me & I don’t like having each card tied to a document. I would like a file-type that can be added like texts & folders that has cards or texts boxes that can be rearranged freely and color coded. And having cards of different sizes or the ability to annotate in the free space would be great for outlining. Basically, I want a page/folder/feature that works like Microsoft One Note + flash cards.

TLDR: Please break some of your stuff to cater to the whims of your less organized consumers.

Have you tried L&L’s tool Scapple? It is non-restrictive and free flowing by design. If I need to think through a vague idea, Scapple is the tool I reach for. I recommend you take the 30 day free trial for a test drive. https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scapple/download

Okay, here’s where you lost me. I use OneNote on a daily basis, and free-flowing is not how I would describe it. Page/folder feature? I think Scrivener’s already got that. If you’re looking to communicate some particular feature of OneNote’s as desirable in Scrivener, you might want to provide specific details of what you’re looking for, how it would work, and what problem it would solve.

Best,
Jim

Scapple is built on a leaf topology. Hatpnole described a grid topology like that of the Corkboard. I happen to share that preference, and yes we have batted around this topic before. See this illustration of how a Kanban grid can be used to shape stray ideas into a more-or-less coherent narrative. Within a Scrivener editing pane, no less.

Hatpnole, my grid-based thought arranger these days is ImDone, web site imdone.io . It’s built primarily as a task manager; I’ve just repurposed it for thought snippets. Took a bit of custom CSS to match the card color capabilities shown in the link above, and AutoHotkey code to enable editing the cards in place, though integrating a similar mechanism into ImDone proper is on the developer’s road map.

Rgds - Jerome

Jerome, thanks for sharing ImDone, looks like an interesting approach. :slight_smile:

Best,
Jim

No it isn’t. In fact, people who want conventional mind mapping “trees” are often unhappy with Scapple.

I use Scapple as JimRac described quite often.

Katherine