Mojave / Scrivener 3.1 crash on startup

You can do, or you can download the version from our site and use that in the meantime. I submitted the fix to Apple at the same time as I uploaded the fix to our site, about an hour after the bug came to light last night. Apple granted us an expedited review, but unfortunately they still haven’t made it available. I’m hoping that it will be available on the App Store later today.

Stephen - I’m glad you’re up and running. It looks like the first time you re-downloaded, the cache on your computer must have downloaded the older build, as your crash log says 3.1, which was the version with the bug.

Once again, I’m very sorry that this bug got through at all. It’s horrible when a nasty bug gets through despite lots of testing, but even worse for our users, who rely on Scrivener. Many thanks to everyone for their patience and understanding.

All the best,
Keith

The one that concerns me is the grammar checker being, as near as I can tell, a non-optional element of the spell-checker. Any arthritic typist appreciates a nudge on spelling errors, but grammar hints from an algorithm are intrusively unwelcome. Perhaps Keith found a workaround in the 3.1 update?

Yep, that’s the one that has given me most pause. Nothing I’ve read suggests that things have been fixed by Apple, so may still remain on High Sierra. Thanks for the reply!

Although it seems Keith has implemented a work around, listed under the Minor (Usability) release notes for 3.1.1:
literatureandlatte.com/scri … s?os=macOS

Thanks Keith, looks like 3.1.1 is a great update.

I found the upgrade that is supposed to fix the problem. However, I purchased this version of Scrivener through the Mac App Store. Can I still install the fix? It looks like it actually installs a whole new application.

Yes, the version available through our site will detect if you’ve purchased from Apple (so long as you’ve run Scrivener at least once before to set it up). You can in fact switch over to it permanently if you wish—you’ll get important updates like this one more quickly through us, so there’s that. :slight_smile:

Switching sounds good. Do I need to do something to initiate that?

you beat me to it–I’d like to do this as well, but I don’t know how.

Switching versions is a simple matter of downloading the version from the site and replacing the one you have in /Applications. There are no additional steps you need to take there.

Optionally you may wish to migrate settings, presets and other data however. We have a checklist for such migrations.

Any word from Apple on the 3.1.1 release through the App store? I’ve been locked out of 3.1 since Saturday. I found this thread so I’ve been waiting rather impatiently on Apple ever since.

(Before you ask, yes, I see I can switch to the download version. But I prefer being on App store versions of everything. Also, switching gets into other checklists about settings and such that my mind doesn’t have the bandwidth for right now. It’s just easier to wait as the fix is in the que.)

You can always switch temporarily and not worry about settings - just download the version from our site, use it with your projects for a few days, and then delete that version when the App Store version is available and re-download from the App Store.

As for the App Store, it’s been an utter fiasco, I’m afraid. As you know, I submitted 3.1.1 to them over a week ago now - last Thursday evening. I requested a so-called “expedited” review since it was a critical bug fix and was granted one. Despite that, it sat “In Review” for days. On Tuesday I emailed Apple to find out what was going on. On Wednesday someone replied to tell me that it seemed to be down to a bug in their system, and that I should pull the 3.1.1 build I had uploaded, re-upload and re-submit to workaround their system bug. They said that once I had done so, they would make sure it was expedited. I duly did so late on Wednesday night. Yesterday (Thursday), it went back into review. A day later, it’s still sitting “in review” again.

To say I’m disillusioned with the App Store would be an understatement right now…

Thanks for the detailed response! To be honest, L&L carries such a good reputation with me that I thought the issue is with the App Store review process. I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you, too.

What I don’t understand about switching to the download version is what changes and what I lose. Sounds like my file settings don’t automatically port over? Which settings? That all sounds pretty involved, so I drag my feet. And you mention I can switch back (wow!) but that also sounds somewhat involved - and wouldn’t my settings still be messed up?

If there are short answers to any of those questions, I’m open to considering a switch. But, if as I suspect, the answers are long and detailed I prefer to give this another week. The time I’d lose working through custom settings (if that’s accurate) can be better spent on another part of the project.

It’s really just your Preferences that wouldn’t come along with the version from our site, simply because the App Store has a segregated area for all settings. So here is all the process would involve:

  1. Download the version from our site and drag it to the Applications folder. It will be called simply “Scrivener” whereas the MAS version is called “Scrivener 3”, so you can keep both there and not even overwrite the MS version.

  2. For the time being, use the version from our site. You just load your files and carry on working. Any colour preferences you set up won’t be used, but don’t worry about that for now.

  3. When 3.1.1 is available on the App Store (or 4.1.1 given how slow the review is going :wink: ), simple delete the version of Scrivener you downloaded from our site - move it to the Trash. This won’t affect your projects. Then just carry on updating the MAS version as normal.

Thanks for your understanding.

All the best,
Keith

Keith,

Thanks for easy instructions - I can certainly handle that, AND if I can get back to writing I’ll get off the Internet and Black Friday (BF week at this point) tech sales!!

:smiley: the 4.1.1 joke!

Keith,
thanks a lot also from my part.
just posted my prob in your old “Crashers for Copies” -Thread, ( Re: Scrivener 3.1 Crashes on Start. (OS X 10.14) ) got redirected here. Workaround solved it.

Thanks for the quick help, and for the many years that I’ve been enjoying my favorite software.

All the best,
Oliver

PD:
And, uhm, someone please invent a proper insult for the App-Store.
I still haven’t been able to come up with one nasty enough.

Thanks, Oliver, and for the understanding. And as another day passes with 3.1.1 not getting through review, I’m thinking of inventing some new insults for the Store too. :frowning:

It wont make you feel any better, but I noticed today that I’m not getting any Mac app store updates. Perhaps everything is stuck in the que? :laughing:

The irony…

Slàinte mhòr.

Well, at least it seems they aren’t dragging their feet because they hate us. :slight_smile:

Nay, not at all.

Have been loved.

Are.

Will be.

Slàinte mhòr.