NiaD writers doing NaNoWriMo 2021!

Woohooo I found the invite - thank you!

1 Like

NaNoWriMo site is a bit frustrating … maybe we should stay here (is that allowed?)

2 Likes

I believe it is befitting to thank @pigfender for moving this thread to its rightful place. So yes, we can certainly discuss our writing & progress here :slight_smile:

1 Like

We could! And I’m thinking of scheduling regular virtual write-ins (I’ve done so before) on YouTube as a public streaming event (hosted by me) or as a Zoom meeting (more private and we can interact). Which kind of virtual write-in do you all prefer?

1 Like

That sounds a great idea. The Zoom conceptis familiar to me. How does it work on YouTube?
Where are we all. I’m in the UK.

1 Like

Back then I used to have Twitter. I liked to ride on the NaNoWriMo hashtag and get otherwise lonely writers together. I would be the one talking into my computer and they would be interacting with me via the chat function only. A quick intro, 15 minutes of intense writing (quiet, muted) followed by maybe 5 minutes of sharing and discussion, and ask each other questions. We would do this 15+5 for three times and that would span a fruitful hour. My personal average is 500 words in every 15-minute slot.

And under these strange times YouTube has a list of stuff that can’t be uttered but, from my experience, Zoom doesn’t censor people, and mind-blowing stuff such as UFOs can be mentioned.

In UK too happy to do that I did access group and accept yes pigfender huge thank you and scrivener too for letting us have this chat group

1 Like

The NaNo site certainly needs some @gr magic - what a pile of frustrating :poop:

The cost of having bloated (too many bells and whistles) code… (details for geeks)

On a practical note - how does NaNo work? Do you compose on Scrivener (for example) and transfer word count to NaNo? Or compose on NaNo somewhere? I couldn’t obviously work it out. As others have said - finding it all a bit clunky :thinking:

Simply put, NaNoWriMo is a month-long word count aggregator.

Every day, starting 1 November, input your word count (search for “word counter”) into the field given in the home page (after you’re logged in). Then press Enter / click Save to update the daily word count. Word count is self-reported and NaNo has no responsibility checking the actual word count. The “transfer word count” was from the previous NaNo website which had a function to verify that your self-reported word count is the same as your manuscript’s.

Remember to save your original work because NaNo does not save the contents of your writing!

3 Likes

I’ve got procrastinationitus - I’ve been spending hours on designing the front of my book cover - been stuck on Canva - forgot I had Affinity Designer - and scrolled through every font known to man… I have, however, created a new project in Scrivener ready to start on the 1st Nov. I fear it will remain empty for a while! This is pantsing at it’s finest!

Aghhhh

1 Like

Can a poor space pirate dolphin fancier join the group?
I’m in the UK, too… in a devolved part of it (with sheep), and as far away from the blond idiot as possible.

4 Likes

Pfft, who needs an outline? They take all the fun, stress and eventual ulcers, out of life.

1 Like

Please do join! I need your username in order to send out the invite for the group on the NaNo official website, but if you want to keep your involvement right here in L&L, that’s absolutely fine too.

Yes, sheep. And outlines can help a certain category of writers organise their thoughts, but it remains to be seen whether one belongs to that category of writers.

I’m awfully lousy with book cover designs so I pick a nice-looking image from my collection as my book cover.

Devolved, sheep and away from blonde idiots sounds a perfect location. Somewhere I have aspirations to be.

1 Like

Me too… but it’s good for procrastinating- if I don’t have any writing at least I’ll have a book cover :rofl:

I would love to join the write-ins! I’ll be good to join after November 7th. We’re moving to Italy the 3rd, and I have some driving to do the first few days. I’m comfortable with zoom or youtube. Whatever everyone is comfortable with works for me. I know I’m going to go a little crazy with sprints when I can fit them in those few days on the road, and would like to keep that up the whole month if I can. :sunglasses:

@SheilaWrote I’m impressed you’re even considering this and moving to Italy at the same time. Amazing! Where are you moving from?