Non-Fiction Plumbing

Unfortunately, yes.
The book is finished. I have a deadline, it must be submitted. I have to add a ToC and fix the chapter headings. I have good advice on the latter and will have to research the former. I think the ToC will only be a single level since it’s not possible anymore to define Level 2 or Level 3 sections, though this was possible in Compile in Scrivener 2.x. The term “Section” somehow lost its meaning when Compile was rewritten for 3.x. Now a section is no longer a section and overrides don’t always override. That’s why I had to change all font settings today, Compile simply yielded unexpected results.

I still think that Scrivener is a great first draft program, but the fact that I’ve had to go down all of these rabbit holes with Compile no longer working as advertised, well, it’s back to Compiling to Markdown, LaTeX and/or Vellum export instead of to a camera-ready pdf.

Hmm. Maybe that’s not the worst idea in general. Not to diss Scrivener or anything, but it’s not a DTP software (and it doesn’t want to be).

At this point, for a quick solution, I think you should follow @rms’ advice and let the Compiler override your unwanted styles, as said in this post: Non-Fiction Plumbing - #2 by rms

But hey, on a positive note: You have a finished book!

I never expected that working with Compile would be such a wrestling match. There’s no longer any time for the other alternatives. I tried exporting to .docx and importing into Vellum, but the result was a mess. Plus, Vellum doesn’t do tables at all and doesn’t do all that well with graphics.

LaTeX doesn’t do well with graphics either. Maybe I should have gone straight from Markdown to html, but then a print version is problematic. I’m sure there’s a template somewhere, but I’ve never tried it. I wonder what Affinity Publisher would do with a .docx.

I’v gotten great advice here and in other threads, but it’s simply too complicated. Was the result I wanted so complicated??

better to Compile to Docx, and not Export.

The problem (as I understand it) is that you probably created a lot of “styled” body text. Which should ideally not be styled, unless this style has a very specific purpose, as in: deliberately different from the “normal” text. So, it’s more complicated now than it should be.

1 Like

Yes you can.

Click on Aa this brings up the font window. As you can see I have chosen to use Baskerville 12 point as my no style font. Now you apply what ever font you want to your document.

This article explains the science of why Baskerville is the best typeface to use if you want your writing to be more authoritative and believable.

I was behind the wheel, so I’m responsible for the accident. I get that.
The text came from a lot of different sources, pdf’s, R2L pdf’s, Word docs, html files, etc. When I brought this material into Scrivener–so I could comment on it, explain it and quote from it, I wasn’t worried about issues like how it looks in the Editor, because I can fix all these things in Compile, right? Except that Scrivener fought every effort to do just that. I had to abandon the idea of sections within a chapter because Compile doesn’t do sections. I couldn’t use a “text and notes” override because an Editor override doesn’t work unless there’s a Compile override as well. Making paragraphs uniform–I gave that up. It’s a roughly 150 page document and there’s no way to make these uniform. Adding a single line should make the following paragraph an indented one, right? Except no. And the first sentence in a chapter should not be indented. Scrivener didn’t always agree. But sometimes it did, following the Editor.

Affinity Publisher gagged on the .docx import, half of the file was mysteriously missing–and no, there was no overset text. It was simply gone, though it was there in the Scrivener exported file–which couldn’t handle the graphics, unfortunately. That means there’s a gremlin that didn’t get zapped on Compile–but I’m not about to go into a hex editor to find out where it went. That’s too deep down the rabbit hole. And the problem with DTP programs is that, except for LaTeX where it’s trivial, changing paper size is usually a “no can do.” the pdfjam utility sometimes works, but if you begin with a small font, the results aren’t great.

Well, I get your frustration. Unfortunately I can’t offer the quick solution that you need right now. The best bet is the Compiler at this point. I know, scary.

The Supreme Court of the US uses a flavor of Century–though I would not be so presumptuous as to use that font for this handbook. A consideration is whether or not the font has § and ¶ symbols. My freeware copy of Sabon didn’t, my purchased copy of Bembo did; so I switched to that. Of course TNR was designed for narrow newspaper columns, which this isn’t.

Anyway, changing the font in preferences where you have assembled text from various sources already means that you have to laboriously go, paragraph by paragraph through the entire document, click on the offending paragraph and then make the change. There’s no way to do it easily.

Thank you for helping.

I also quote a lot of material from different sources but I always covert them to no style just so that is looks consistent and doesn’t hurt my eyes. It also happens that is also what the output will be when I compile it.

1 Like

The problem is that they carried their styles with them. I thought of copying first into a text editor, but a problem with these translated laws is that sometimes the formatting carries meaning , so I was hesitant to discard all formatting initially until I had a chance to review the particular extract carefully. It’s still not uniform. It look’s OK, but that’s about it. There’s something like ten different agencies involved and no uniformity, not even WRTO citations.

You can use whatever font you want. But Baskerville is Unicode so it supports every type of symbol.

I haven’t tried but there is probably a way of apply it globally.

If you find a way, please share it for the future.

BTW–Earl Morris? The Vernon, Florida filmmaker Earl Morris?

Same with me. But I convert them to no style at the time I paste it in.

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t change the formatting until I closely examine the text, as these are regulations.

There are several ways to apply it globally.

What is this in reference too?

drmajorbob to the rescue :slightly_smiling_face:

Set the default font, indent, etc. in Preferences. Select as many documents as you want and do the following. It will affect all the No Style text in those documents.

1 Like