Novel-in-a-Day 3: With a Vengeance

No rush on the Scriv project file. Thanks, as always, for the hard work! It was fun.

Looks fabulous PF and niteo!

57 mentions of the S word in 24 chapters (we can’t count pigfender’s chapter)… although only 14 of them were nice.

Apparently there was also a “nice ring”, “nice round figure”, “nice bottle of wine”, “nice enough day”, “nice body”, “nice girl”, “nice line in pork belly”, “nice safe new life”, “nice solid profession”, “nice house”, and apparently someone made “nice with Bobby” and someone else managed to get up “nicely from his seat”.

Wait, wait… you do all read books by looking at word counts one at a time, right?

Well done mate! We appreciate the enormous effort you put into keeping us all busy for 24 hours. :smiley:

I did my part to make sure “nice suit” made its appearance.

Congratulations everyone, Rog especially. Now how do I add this to my goodreads bookshelf? :stuck_out_tongue:

from the authors dashboard you could make a blog post and include the link. otherwise you’d have to upload it as one of your books. i don’t know if there’s a way to upload a collaboration.

Four chapters in, really good so far.

It’s flowing together well, too. The characters seem quite consistent barring a few minor details.

Well done Rog for the organisation… Seems you’ve hit the mark and realised L&L have a lot of budding gangsters.

Matt

So, Pigfender, now that you are all rested up, I am sure your thoughts have now turned to next year. So, I just wanted to put this bug in your ear. Okay, wait for it. Trilogy-in-a-Day. I know! Right? Pigfender?

Medic. Medic!! Man down, man down!!

Cheers.
–gr

Very well done, Pigfender! You did a great job. I hope you catch up on the lost sleep soon.

I’ve just finished reading the amalgamated masterpiece, and it’s good to see the plot arc as a whole – not just a surprise ending, for me, but a surprise nearly-everything-else, too. Very enjoyable. Although I sort of expected to see more artichokes (taken from the breakdown of organised crime rackets). :wink:

About the suit thing… Part of my brief read as follows: “Marazzi tells Gallagher he looks like shit in his cheap suit and pulls off a few bills and leaves them for Gallagher and tells him to buy himself a new suit.”

Well done Pigfender, you did a brilliant job again. It is so much fun, and you have to smile every time you read “Nice Suit”. My contribution to that was:
“Nodding, she turned and walked away, calling out as she went, “Nice Suit”. He laughed as he watched her enter the hospital…”
The whole book really come together well, so I think you got it spot on with information and background.
Enjoy your sleep you deserve it Thank you.

You mean, he didn’t always wear nice suits? Oh well, it worked out anyway. That part, to me, just sounded like Bobby being a smart arse…

Chapter 23 appears to have been cut off somehow.

The part I’m struggling with is equating author’s names and forum names. We need a breakdown of who did what chapter-wise.

Also, pigfender… When you do the Scrivener project, can you throw the original briefs into document notes or synopsis.

I am left wondering which bits were original story, and which bits extended the brief in unexpected ways.

Matt

What the heck?!?!? I was writing the last chapter and I didn’t even realise?? I thought I was situated at the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the book! That’s amazing. Am glad I ended it the way I did. :smiley:

Although I didn’t know how much animosity had gone before and since I thought I was at the beginning of the book I downplayed the confrontation. If I had known it was the last chapter I would have written it differently I think. :slight_smile: I’ll have to read the book now to see if I didn’t give it a bit of a weak ending. Sorry, folks. But those are the joys of NIAD. And I wouldn’t have changed knowing. This was a marvellous surprise.

I did love writing for this edition. This installment was easier for me to write than both previous ones. And I enjoyed this one more too. I had a lot of fun. Thanks to Pig for once again organising this and I volunteer to help organise next year’s edition. So there…

It got extended. Ignore the last two words.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

Since pigfender attempted to back out of next year and nominated me last night, I have been giving it some thought.

Depending on timing when we roll around to next November, I don’t mind the idea of throwing my hat in the ring for organising one also… But I will sure as hell need some story ideas that can stretch over 25 chapters, so perhaps we can work as a double team?

Actually, there’s a question for everyone: what genre should the great NIAD tackle next?

Heck yeah, I’d love to help out. Any genre suggestions welcome.

Edited to tone down my enthusiasm; didn’t want to sound like I wanted to push Pig out, cause I don’t. He’s the grand master here. :slight_smile:

How about something with teenage vampires :slight_smile:

That is, of course, if pigfender still wants to give away his baby by then.

He’ll be back, we know he will :wink:

Yes of course, only if Pig wants to hand over the steering wheel. Let’s hear from him first. But if the post opens up I’d be happy to step up with you.

Nah-uh!! That question got answered this year: whoever runs the show, picks the genre, no-one else knows until the day. We all grumble about it, that’s what makes it a good rule.