Novel-in-a-Day 9

Why do you hate this genre?
Do you need to include any of the things you don’t like about his genre in your chapter?
How would you approach this subject matter to make you like it?
What would make you enjoy the something in this genre better?
How can you apply your voice and your story choices to the subject matter?

If you can answer a couple of those, you can put it in the writing. I’m now expecting your chapter to be an awesome and novel take on the genre! :smiley:

1 Like

Me, I like the genre, now it’s become a high fantasy / urban myth / travelogue.

Do you think adding the odd elf would be too much?

Nah, we had the odd elf last time. In a pub.

I’m just not big on anything “horrorish”. Not that this is, but my initial read of it is “bah… twilight or steven king”. Both of those land in “the bin” (as you all call it) in my house.

And you should know me by now. I’ll get your brief in there. But you may have to work a bit to find it. And this year, I’m writing for Fluff and Vic-K and someone who I will introduce later today. Let’s just say I have another woman in my life and she has curly, chocolate brown hair.

Pigfender told me “sunlight, not so good! She doesn’t know that though, but why would you ever risk it?” That’s why I had to scrap my first draft (as far as it had got, anyway), as everything in it could happen only during the day.

Following this thread discreetly, as I think what you guys are doing here (and every year) is fantastic. Lumping Stephen King in with Stephenie Meyer, though, is pure blasphemy and should lead to permanent expulsion from the forums :smiley: :wink:

Trust me, I don’t “lump them together” but I see them like the rapid “dem v rep” political gangs. I don’t like either side so burn it all.

And I’ve given much much much better cause for lifetime bans. But then they let Vic-K stay so they’ve kind of made it difficult to ban anyone.

Sitting at 1500 and just getting into the brief. BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Yep… just had to change someone from working in H&M to a night pharmacy… I was going to put her in a mall or something, but the French don’t do trading in unsociable hours! Curses!

I’m done! Hip-hip hooray! Long live NiaD!

As good an approach as any, I guess 8)

I didn’t like to say as much …

I’ve been quiet on the forum this year, but my chapter’s done. Submitted about 10 minutes ago.
As soon as I get confirmation that it was received OK, I’m off to bed (it’s late here in Australia).

I also had the black box problem. However, on ipadOS, you can’t adjust tables in Scrivener and Word won’t open RTF. Luckily Pages opened and displayed the file just fine, so I simply copy & pasted from there.

Umm, there was something else I was going to say, probably about Jaysen. Or GR. Or Pigfender. Or maybe Siren (Daylight? Really? I feel for you, I really do, but daylight?).

Sitting here on just over 1500 words going to take a short break and then come back finish it off :unamused:

Well, in the hours of daylight, to be more precise. The characters didn’t actually have to be outdoors soaking up the old Vitamin D and working on their tan! They just had to be active, and getting from one place to another, during French business hours. Perhaps I expected vampires to be hardier than they turn out to be. :slight_smile:

I have just submitted my 3300+ words (set in the darkness of night). A very enjoyable challenge. I haven’t written fiction of any sort since I last took part in one of these. Thank you, Pigfender, as always.

Rog -

I just re-sent my submitted text by replying to your e-mail. Not sure why my original email (date-stamped 15:34 GMT) didn’t make it to you.

Worst case, I can submit it using this forum. Please let me know if that must happen.

Really relying a lot on google’s English to French translations for this one. Anyone have a more reliable source for double checking the accuracy of French dialogue?

Well, I think google is going to send me a bill for my abuse of the translate service. I finally gave up and just said “blah siwtched to french and said” because i’m [size=150]lazy[/size]

it’s noon, I’ve killed half a bottle of rum. I’m 3200 words in and only at the middle. Piggy will likely ban me in the future. in my defense I didn’t start writing for real until 8 or so. Made a brief outline last night and threw it away post morning run. bah.

The essential three Rs – running, writing and rum

Well, I’ve finished writing it! It’s 2214 words which is not bad, considering I had complete Writer’s Block when I started.
I wasn’t supposed to know the creepy man was a vampire, but luckily I guessed and @Pigfender confirmed it. But I’ve been very good, and haven’t mentioned the word ‘Vampire’ anywhere in my story.
I’m going to leave it for a while and then edit it before sending, hopefully before 8pm.

I feel exhausted from all the angst and stress. I don’t know if it’s any good, I’m just glad that I finished it.
Btw I’m perplexed that I can no longer find the original file in my emails. IOS doesn’t seem to be able to open rtf files, but I didn’t panic — just copied and pasted into Scrivener instead.
I’ve written the whole thing in IOS this time but I haven’t updated to the latest version yet: I didn’t want to tempt providence on today of all days.
One thing I’ve learned from this exercise is that I write best in longhand so that when I type it up it’s the second draft.
Btw one of my WIPs is about vampires but it’s comedic. This one is pure horror! :open_mouth:

you all be that way.keep it short and stick to the plans. y’all are traitors!

I’m at 4k and the love interest that was NOT in my brief is making her play.