Novel-in-a-Day XI - the undecaNiaD

Yay Team!!!
I mean…
Yay Unit! :smiley:
And all Hail Colonel Pigfender. :smiley:

1 Like

I second this stuff.
(because I can’t :heart: because Discourse.
(ignore my nastiness about the forum. Someday I won’t get locked in Like Jail and then it won’t bug me as much. :D)

Oh yes!! @gr bespoke version is so cool!

Definitely this too.

2 Likes

Thank you for the blast. First time for me and I loved every scarey minute of it!
Look forward to next time!

3 Likes

Me too! Such fun.

Question: are we allowed to share links to the books on our social media?

3 Likes

Thanks! I knew about that but didn’t know the answer.

Thanks to @pigfender and @gr for all their hard work!

2 Likes

By the way, did anyone ever try to do “proper” editing of all chapters that could fix or bring closer all plotholes and inconsistencies? Or is it against the spirit of the event?

This was a blast! I have always enjoyed a challenge, but this was a new one that I look forward to doing again. Thanks so much everyone. You’re a great group of people, and I’m happy to have stumbled across y’all. Now it’s time for the coffee and reading!

3 Likes

Absolutely! Please do!

1 Like

One of our key principles is that each chapter represents the individual author’s voice. By seeing how their style, tone, and approach varies from others working with similar briefs in the same conditions, authors can see really clearly what it is that makes them unique as a writer.

As such, we put the balance more towards author freedom rather than continuity. The minor jumps from red vans to blue etc are just a necessary artefact of reading a story told across the multiverse, and part of our charm! That’s why our “Style Guide” says little more than to use double quotes for speech and (the universally ignored request) to use British English (which its about time I dropped).

Plus I guarantee no-one has messed up continuity details worse than me… that one time I mixed up two names in my chapter and as a result strongly implied that a character had a very inappropriate relationship with his daughter instead of his wife. Oops!

4 Likes

You didn’t even bother to read the brief your wrote and sent to yourself. Shame shame shame.

2 Likes

Good idea! I did something similar.

1 Like

Great day it kept me sane while all around madness happened still happy I got chapter in lovely to work as a group. Suggestion maybe if anyone does Nano we could form our own buddy group to encourage each other just thought

3 Likes

Where are the @gr versions? They don’t seem to be in the Library section.

Let’s give @gr some time to set up the website. It takes a while. Check back next week just to be sure.

1 Like

I’ve registered for NaNo for the first time this year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@MaelduinTamhlacht Workring on it!

1 Like

Oh that’s great after doing this I thought time to go back try and finish first draft

It takes time and plenty to read in meantime

@gr has in the past very kindly put up special web versions of the books on his web page, but he’s under no obligation or expectation for future ones!

2 Likes

I haven’t even started/thought about mine yet. I always thought I wasn’t good at writing to a deadline - but doing NIAD has made me change my mind - I loved it. I better get my thinking hat on ready to start on 1st Nov.

2 Likes