Percent Revised

The progress bar, draft target, session targets, and document targets are wonderful for drafting the first draft. But I would love have a similar feature for revision and rewriting. When in Revision Mode, I’d love to be able to see “percent revised” numbers for document and draft. I.e. what percent of the text is the color of the current revision. Could be a simple feature to add, and perhaps there’s already something similar I haven’t discovered?

Since you are on a Mac, you can probably do the following :

Display your draft/manuscript as a scrivening.

Select a chunk of text of your revision color.

Edit / Select / Select similar formatting

At the bottom of the editor you should get : “Selection: X words (of Y)”

Do the math. → X divided by Y = percentage revised.
It’ll of course be only an approximation, as X won’t include words in bold, italics etc.

This said, your question implies that you currently apply the revision color to everything you revise.
I don’t think the function is intended to be used like this. But perhaps it doesn’t really matter.

1 Like

The challenges with doing this in a speedy manner would be very similar to why this doesn’t happen for inline annotations. Revision markings, like annotations, are a kind of formatting that would require manually trawling through piles of text, opening and closing files. It would introduce significant typing lag to add this.

@Vincent_Vincent : This said, your question implies that you currently apply the revision color to everything you revise.
I don’t think the function is intended to be used like this. But perhaps it doesn’t really matter.

As for how I use it, I pretty much leave it on for the entirety of a revision sweep—every little change gets marked. This way I know where to focus my attention in the PDF when proofing, and where I can skip over.

It’s just formatting, again, there is no software penalty for using too much italics, for example.

1 Like

That is how I use it too.

What I meant as per the OP is that I don’t think the feature is intended for the user to manually apply the revision color to all text up to the point the revision process is at.

Again, it technically doesn’t matter much (to my knowledge), it is not gonna crash anything, but it takes away that “here I changed something” formatting difference.

Might as well rather use the status of documents in that case.

What I personally do is that I have revision mode on, automatically marking the edits in the revision color, but as I go change the font color to Tin (gray) for the sections I’ve read through.
This way I know where I am at, but I still have the revision color to indicate where changes were made. (Revision color supersedes font color.)
Once I am done with the revision of a document, I set the font back to the default color and update the document’s status. This doesn’t affect revision color/markings, so I know where things were edited, telling me to refer to my snapshots if need be.

1 Like

Thanks for the “Select similar formatting” trick—a useful approximation of how revised a document is, at least as I use R Mode. And I like your Tin type trick too.

Would be amazing if the Snapshot > Compare function (which for some reason isn’t working for me this morning? Compare just gives me blankness?) gave an approx measure of how altered the doc is, though I see the difficulty in determining what ratio to use.

1 Like