Recommend Stardock 'Groupy' for Scriveners

Howdy,

I found a program today that solves a problem and I’d like to tell you about it, (Screenshot below).

It’s called “Groupy” from a company called “Stardock”. (Link here: https://www.stardock.com/products/groupy/) I don’t work for them, just a happy user.

What it does is let you group any kind of programs together into “tabs” like with your browser. One of the things I’ve hated for a long time-- not about Scrivener, but in using it-- is that I’m always needing to call up a web page for something or other, and I have to flip around, find an open browser, and open a tab… even if I already have one open, I have to go find the darned thing. (I know… first-world problems, right ??? :slight_smile: )

So, on a whim, I went looking to see if there was some way to solve it, and stumbled onto Groupy. For like $3.50 it was worth a gamble, so I downloaded it and am giving it a try.

Now I have Scrivener in one tab, PowerThesaurus in the next tab, and a blank Google search open in a third tab-- all right there together-- and for the FIRST TIME… I am happy (well, maybe not THE first time… that would be a story unto itself, right? :slight_smile: )

But seriously, I don’t know what else I’ll use it for, but it solves THAT problem very neatly. And since my main tab is Scrivener, all I have to look for in the taskbar is the Scrivener app. The other two come along for the ride.

It’s got a number of options that you can set to adjust it to your liking. I like it just so I can add the extra tabs without being able to close them (easily). That way I don’t forget and close it (though you can close it if you want to). You can also make your settings different to manage that however you like.

JWhitten

Here’s a screenshot:

1 Like

Scrivener does that.

Save the web page links (or any links) as project bookmarks, and they’ll display in the Inspector.

But first you’ve got to find the web page. I think that’s the task for which Groupy is suggested.

1 Like

But they won’t show as handy tabs at the top of the screen you can just click to already be there.

BUT, I’m not a salesman hawking a product. Use it or don’t, and happy writing !! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, for me, I’m always opening other pages-- thesaurus or google searches generally and then I tab away from them back to Scrivener. Then when I want them again, I have to go find them, or else spawn a new iteration. Both are equally a pain, especially if you have the proverbial shit-ton of browser tabs open as I generally do-- it can take a minute to find it.

I like just having it already open to the right page, and sitting there waiting for me to use it. And I have a blank google page open for the same thing. And unless I do something silly and close them (which is why I hide the close button), they’re already there the next time I need 'em.

And in the google search tab… if I open another tab (or tabs) while I’m using it, they open their tabs underneath the google search tab, so they’re self-contained in that group-set. If I tab away from the main Google tab, they’re hidden away, out of sight, until whenever I come back to it. Or I can close them normally, since they do get the little close button, just like a normal browser tab would.

It’s pretty neat. Like I said, I don’t know what else I’ll use it for, but this particular thing has been a thorn in my britches ever since I started writing and now I’ve found a cheap and easy solution, and I’m happy. Nice to have one day in your life you can be happy, eh? :slight_smile:

John

1 Like

John,

Thanks for calling out this app, it looks interesting.

Does it work with Scriv Quick Ref Windows? I tend to open 4-8 at a time, and hunting down the specific one I want can be a PITA. Tabbing them together like a browser would be brilliant. :nerd_face:

That’s a great question that I don’t know the answer to. My guess off-the-cuff is probably not, since they are spawned by the application as floating windows. BUT, that said, you might be able to grab them and suggest that they join the group manually. That’s one of the features of the program. So I don’t think it would auto-happen, but you could probably do it yourself (I’m guessing) and end up with the result you want.

I’ll give it a try.

John

UPDATE: Indeed it does work! Here’s a screenshot:

1 Like

Another thing I just thought of is it’ll be handy to group Visio in there too, so I can have access to my concept drawings and plans and such. I don’t use those a lot, but maybe I will more now. I suspect you could put Scapple in there too, if you like that program.

John,

Thank you so much for confirming! I’ll download the trial tomorrow.

Best,
Jim

1 Like

I had to put them into the group manually, but it was easy. Just hold it over the tab set and it’ll join. Do the opposite to pull it out-- just like merging tabs with your browser. On my set up, I told it to only do it if I’m pressing “CTRL” so that I don’t accidently add anything. But it was easy to do.

Here’s what I do on a Mac. Maybe it’s close to what you mean. First the ordinary Dock.

Next (continuing at the right), is a folder with Scrivener projects:

The next three icons are a folder full of “writing” app shortcuts, then a folder of rarely used app shortcuts, a “utilities” folder, then two more file folders (Downloads and Trash).

You get the idea. Can’t Windows do this?

Sure. But it’s still additional steps. With the tab-bar thingy, it’s already open, no waiting. You know right where it is, just click it and you’re there. Get your answer and click again, and you’re back in Scrivener.

I like it, that’s all I’m saying. Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn’t. I just thought I’d tell people about it if they want to give it a try.

In fact, it just occurred to me that I can put this forum page in the tab-group and it’ll be there too.

:slight_smile:

JWhitten

The Dock is already open, no waiting, too (and it hides until I reach for it).

Well then, clearly this isn’t the solution for you.

Groupy seems to work well with other apps, but it’s not playing nicely with Scrivener. Or rather, it would be more fair to say that Scrivener’s not playing nicely with Groupy, specifically in regards to Quick Ref panels and Comp Mode.

There’s a long-time Windows Scriv bug, from beta days, where launching Comp Mode on the main editor will arbitrarily reposition open Quick Ref windows. Unfortunately, a side effect of this bug is that Groupy Quick Ref groupings are broken when Comp Mode is launched.

My workaround for the Scriv bug has been to enable Window > Float Quick Ref Panels. For whatever reason, when this is enabled, Comp Mode no longer repositions the Quick Ref windows. BUT, when I enable that setting, Groupy no longer allows me to group Quick Ref panels! :exploding_head: A lose-lose situation.

So my Scrivener use case is broken. But I still might purchase Groupy, as tabbing Excel spreadsheets would be very handy. Thanks again, John, for the recommendation.

Best,
Jim

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re doing that doesn’t allow the Quick Ref panels to group with groupy. When I tried it, I was able to group two of them with minimal effort. And I’m no expert in either program :slight_smile: I have my groupy set to require me holding the CTRL key as I put them into the group. Doubt that has anything to do with it, but just saying for completeness. I pressed CTRL, dragged the Quick Ref by the titlebar, and dropped it in place on the tab-bar and voila-- Bob’s your uncle, as they say. I did a couple of them, which is how I got the screenshot. I did have to drop them over an unused portion of the tab-bar. It wouldn’t let me drop them on top of a tab.

Is what you see in the screenshot I posted earlier the result that you’re looking for? If not, can you explain what you want, or what it’s not doing a little better?

What is “Comp Mode” ??

John

UPDATE: Here’s the screen shot again:

I’m enabling the Scrivener setting Window > Float Quick Ref Panels. If you can group Quick Ref Panels with that setting enabled, please let me know!

Sorry, that’s Composition Mode!

Best,
Jim

No, what’s in the screenshot isn’t really what I’m looking to do.

The screenshot contains what appears to be a grouping of Scriv main window + Quick Ref panels, and what I want to do is create a group consisting of only Quick Ref panels. It’s fine if I have to this manually, by dragging and dropping them onto each other. In fact, grouping them manually is preferred, because I’ll want to create separate groups of Quick Ref panels. (I have multiple monitors, and would dock two groups of Quick Ref panels side-by-side.)

Unfortunately, when I have Window > Float Quick Ref Panels enabled, I cannot drag and drop Quick Ref panels onto each other to group them manually. Apparently Groupy stops recognizing them for grouping at that point. If I disable Window > Float Quick Ref Panels, then Groupy will group them, but due to the Comp Mode bug I need that setting enabled.

Best,
Jim

Is this what you want? Notice this is a separate group, apart from Scrivener which is in the background, in a different group.

What is ‘Comp Mode’ ??

How about this?

Here are three separate tab groups. The first one has Scrivener and the Browser Tabs in it. The Second and Third are independent groups with just Quick Ref tabs. I am able to move any of the groups to any of my monitors without issue. Is this what you’re wanting?