Revisions from Windows miscast on iPad

Tried out what happens with Revision colorations, when th project goes from Windows to iOS (iPadOS), from mention here: Shortcut for "remove revisions":

What happens is that Scrivener iOS knows about the colors properly, if you check using Format | Text Options, but doesn’t show them on the editor text displayed. You just guet a soft Gray color for any of them.

Of course I got to thinking if Revisions could actually work on the iPad – are they more than a color assignment? And yes, that would be a feature, hence the extra tag.

The iPadOS level here is 15.3, which it turns out (later) is an RC, so I installed it in case anything had changed. Not, as might be expected.

Thought I’d throw in a screenshot here, in case it makes clearer what the issue is.

As you can see, the highlighted word should be red. Other grey text has a number of other colors.

@AmberV, revising the bug report here.

As on other thread, the problem is actually with Scrivener iPad’s own Dark Mode, which greys out any colors.

Setting to Light Mode brings back the Colors that Revisions had put in.

I might suggest:

• Dark Mode shouldn’t alter the colors, or if it’s felt it should, the colors should be dimmed (more black) rather than eliminated to grey.

• Dark Mode shouldn’t be separate on Scrivener, but rather track the Dark Mode of the iPadOS itself, at least on versions where that’s possible. It’'s hidden and inconvenient to go to main iPad Settings | Scrivener | Appearance to fool with this, and prevents if you like it from using the automatic evening Dark Mode of the iPad.

You are welcome :slight_smile:
C.

1. Monochromatic text display is how it is designed to work, and how it always has worked. All text adornments, highlights and colours will be various shades of grey. Whether you like that is another thing, but it’s all working precisely as intended.
  2. You can set it up the way you have described it, but if you want it to track whatever the system is using, you can do that as well. Are you not seeing a “System Default” selection along with “Dark” and “Light”?

By the way, you can also toggle by long-tapping on the header bar. No need to ever waste time drilling down into settings.

Ah, you’re quite right, on the second point. The choice is there, and does work.

I’m not quite sure how I skated over that selection. Maybe the problem is the word Default. I didn’t want a System Default, I wanted a system state, if you see the difference. More loosely, I didn’t want a default at all. Perhaps Follow System Setting would be an easy fix for either, as a label?

Not so sure about the first point. Indeed, colors are present when in Light Mode on the iPad, as reported. It’s not clear why they should turn to grey just because the background darkens, as first impression. For the coding, maybe the problem was in using a color inversion function to accomplish dark?

You reminded of a story that always amused me. On a first consulting of 20 years in Europe, I saw a very capable fellow who I liked and ran the business coding, who would attach the initials W.A.D. to any report that he differed with --Works As Designed.

I think you can imagine why the smiles. In any case, I would be brought in for the ability to re-imagine, typically where a project of smoe size had gone awry as far as the persons to use it were concerned. The fix might be fairly technical, but always the point to be as invisble as could be in such ways, rather to give a solid improvement ot ability and comfort.

I guess I still think in such ways, and will stop witrsh a smile and a recognition that I don’t like reading elders proving how brilliant they were, myself.

Much better to be making stories, and hoping to reach as an author we have in common once did, no?

That particular smile again, Amber,
Clive

as a p.s., it will probably help to grasp the humour in the W.A.D. situation if you imagine the fellow as kind of one of John Le Carré’s solid Northern England weaver-philosopher-inherited stalwarts, which being as we were there, he was. A very history-filled place, where much history still was. I came to really appreciate and have a rather deep affection for it…and those who lived its stories…

Choosing the system default sets a state for the project display. It’s not setting a project default, it’s setting a state equal to the system default.

It’s not clear why they should turn to grey just because the background darkens, as first impression.

As far as I recall the iOS text engine isn’t as capable of more complex operations without a big performance hit. But I’m sure it’s something that will be looked into at some point, as we have all of the algorithms for readable colour transformations in v3 now.

I would hope it is a setting though, I actually prefer monochrome for dark mode, on the desktop as well.

1 Like