Running the 3.1.5 Beta with Wine or Bottles

Are we back to square one? I’ve gotten Scrivener 3.1.4.1 to work AND ACTIVATE, finally, under Wine. Still struggling with Bottles.

But no joy at all with the new Beta. Anyone else tried it yet? Thoughts?

Thomas

1 Like

Yes! You have to delete the texttospeech directory. (Although it looks like you’ve discovered this.) Tip of my hat to AmberV for this one.

1 Like

Yes! That should be all you need to do to get the new update running. You should find your hard-earned activation carries over just fine to the new version as well.

I’ve pinned this topic so it can be more easily used as a general discussion for any 3.1.5+ specific issues we may find and try to work around.

And the new version of Scrivener exits cleanly. No more lsof | grep -e “wine” to clean up spare processes.

I know, right? The little things.

Deleting the texttospeech directory also allows Scrivener 3.1.5 to launch in Crossover. Unfortunately, it freezes when attempting to access Options or Compile.
I’ll do some more experimenting.

No problem here with that. It takes a bit for the compile menu to pop open, but that’s always been the case. What version of WINE? (8.6 staging, here.)

I use Crossover 21.2.0 It ran fine with 3.1.4.1. I ran the 3.1.5 installer, deleted the texttospeech directory, and it started fine, but when I cruised to Compile, it quickly froze; the same happened with the Options menu. Leaving it up will eventually cause it to crash. I had snappy performance with earlier versions.
A clean install did the same thing. So, there’s something in Crossover. They may be using an older version of WINE. Le Sigh.

I haven’t had any issues with options or compile, though recently in the last build I did notice opening the compile window sometimes causes a webkit viewer window to appear, which promptly crashes (I can only presume it is related to some rendering condition in the Layouts column). This is isolated it seems, and can be closed without harm to the main ongoing thread. It isn’t happening for me right now though, so I can’t provide more information. I’ll jot down any diagnostics I see when I do and update the thread.

As for slowness with bringing compile up, I’ve always seen that as well, and I don’t think it is related to Wine. It’s pretty slow on Windows too and seems to scale with the project. Again there may be an amount of pre-rendering going on, and evidently it isn’t cached.

Update: it’s the Format Designer window that causes a QtWebEngineProcess.exe to bomb out, not the compile overview window in general. That’s why I wasn’t seeing it. This does not impede usage of the format designer best I can tell.

tl;dr: Scrivener 3.1.5 is now running on Crossover 21.2.0.
Interesting thing: I ran the Crossover install for dotnet 4.8, rebooted the bottle, then ran the Scrivener ‘tie’ from the Crossover application. Their ‘recipe’ is older, and it downloaded and installed Scrivener 3.1.2. Once that completed, I quit the bottle and rebooted it – just to be safe. I then installed Scrivener 3.1.5 into the bottle, and now all seems good.
I don’t know if it was dotnet 4.8 or a wonky Scrivener 3.1.4.1 install. Crossover’s Scrivener ‘recipe’ didn’t install anything new, although it may have updated some libraries. I haven’t gone through the entire list. Even though the SAPI library was set to ‘native,’ I still had to delete the texttospeech directory in order for Scrivener to launch.

1 Like

I experimented with another solution, in trying to avoid the problem of how every update will bring this folder back. Even though I’m well aware of having to do so, I still forget 50% of the time and crash out. I don’t know the first thing about CrossOver modifications, so maybe someone can shed some light there, but for Wine users:

1. cd into the Scrivener install folder in the shell.
  2. chmod 000 texttospeech

I actually emptied out the contents of it first to be extra thorough, but in theory Scrivener can’t get into a 000 directory anyway—and more importantly, nor will the updater. You do have to bypass a few error messages about it being unable to write files, while the installer runs, but these are okay to ignore.

For anyone else coming along with the crash-on-launch problem: download the installer from the website again. We just uploaded a patch for this that fixes it.

If you’ve already taken the troubleshooting procedure of removing the folder, there is no need to do this, and this mainly just means you don’t have to remember to delete it every time we put out an update!

2 Likes

Hallo folks. I’ve just been wrestling with getting 3.1.5.1 running under Crossover 23 - for me, at least, it was necessary to modify the library setting for sapi.dll to use ‘native’ only. That got me past the startup and licensing stages - with luck I’ll be able to get back to writing!

I’ve just downloaded Crossover 23 but haven’t yet got round to installing it and Scrivener. What system are you running it on? I’m on M2 Pro, Ventura 13.5.

Mark

Linux (Kubuntu 22.04). Isn’t there a native version of Scrivener for the Mac? I used it for years before I moved across to Linux.

Yes I use it all the time, but I run the Windows version under Crossover for when I need to troubleshoot for my Windows-using collaborator; it helps to be able to see what she sees.

:slight_smile:
Mark

Hi! I’m a relatively new Linux user (running Manjaro), and I can’t get any version of Scrivener to load. I can install the latest 32-bit version, but when I try to open it the loading screen gets stuck on “loading fonts,” and the app doesn’t actually load past that. The 64-bit version won’t install at all–I get an error message that reads, “Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000fadc5b80 in 64-bit code (0x0000007b246030).” I can get 3.0.1 64-bit to install, but then I run into the same problem where it gets stuck while loading. Is this an issue anyone else has run into? I feel like it’s the sort of thing that could have an easy fix if I were more knowledgeable.

Has anyone figured out how to activate Scrivener in Bottles? I have it up and running in Pop.Os 22_04 except the License Activation doesn’t work.

TIA