Scrivener 3 for Windows but when?

What feature(s) don’t work in Compile? What I’ve tested seems to work so far.

Does nobody read release notes anymore? They don’t specify which exact pieces aren’t wired up yet, but they do specifically call it out: From [url]Scrivener 3.0 Beta - Release Candidate 10 (Download Links & Change List)] :

You can also create a fresh interactive tutorial and search for anything marked with the “Missing Feature” character style (it looks like a light red highlight).

Thanks devinganger, I missed that in reviewing the notes.

Apologies, my reply was needlessly snappy.

Please understand that I would love to test Scrivener for windows. Please understand that you have not released a beta version since 2017. Please understand that beta releases are made for the express purpose of giving testers the opportunity to find bugs in the software, report the same bugs, you fix the bugs, and then you release a new beta version of the software. At least that’s how we do it in the states. I refuse to test antiques because doing so is a waste of my time. When will you Brits compile and release a new beta version with a document describing known bugs. :question: I think this is a great idea. :bulb: Would you please comment on this post so I can get an idea of where you are at :question: In other words I am asking for a status update as well as a release of beta 9. Please understand that perfection only comes in Heaven. I am very understanding about the fact that bugs are the norm for ANY software. I have been an IT professional for four decades and I think I understand how the process should work. Thank you for considering this note. I eagerly await your reply. Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill said, “Give us the tools and we will do the job”. That is all that I can ask also. He asked and we supplied. I am giving you the same ask and am awaiting your reply.

You are mistaken. The most recent beta was released just a few weeks ago.

While the pinned “announcement” post for beta releases is dated 2017, it is regularly updated and always includes both a link to the most recent beta version, and notes discussing the current status of bugs and feature enhancements.

Katherine

Please understand that I would love to test Scrivener for windows. Please understand that you have not released a beta version since 2017.
At least that’s how we do it in the states. I refuse to test antiques because doing so is a waste of my time.
When will you Brits compile and release a new beta version with a document describing known bugs. :question: I have been an IT professional for four decades and I think I understand how the process should work.

Your arrogance is showing on American portrayal. I can say this for I’m not British. Obviously reading Beta notes, what version has been released and notes of latest bugs is TL: DR of your stature. Sorry we can’t help you there. Please see an optometrist for your eyesight and maybe a refresher course on being an IT. These Brits as you say, are hard working on their product. Your arrogance is showing. You give Americans who work in IT a bad rep with that attitude.

Now now, there is no reason to flame them just because they made a mistake and then got a little heated about it.

By the way, the Windows developers are Australian and Bulgarian, and those keeping reports tested, wrangled and retested are in the US. :slight_smile:

You’re being fooled by the way they’re posting the notices of new betas.
The notification of the release is the last post in the “Scrivener 3.0 Beta 8 (Download Links & Change List)” thread, and the release notes are the first post.
Weird, but you get used to it.

Beta 8, version 2.9.0.8, was released on August 1, 2018.

My apologizes I did not mean to offend any of the Australian’s or Bulgarian’s either with my reply to the comment.

If you’re a new user of Scrivener for Windows, or are thinking about buying it, you may be wondering why Scrivener for Windows is on version 1 whereas our macOS version is on version 3. Don’t worry—for the most part, it’s just a number.

Scrivener for macOS and Scrivener for Windows are separate development efforts with different developers and code bases. Scrivener for macOS was released several years before our Windows developers came on board to create the Windows version. As a result, Scrivener 1 for Windows was released a year after Scrivener 2 for macOS.

In November 2017, our Mac team released Scrivener 3 for macOS, a major update containing many refinements and new features. We’re still hard at work on our next major version of Scrivener for Windows, which will bring our Windows version into line with the latest Mac version. To avoid confusion in the future, we have decided to skip a number and jump from version 1 to version 3 for our first major Windows update.

The great news is that if you buy Scrivener 1 for Windows now, you’ll get a free update to version 3 when it’s available. (Existing users of Scrivener 1 will be able to purchase Scrivener 3 for the discounted price of $25 when the time comes.)

From literatureandlatte topic. Hope it helps.

Hi I see there is a book for Scrivener 3 Mac? Will there be a book also for Windows 3 Scrivener? It would be very helpful for us newbies.
Also need a template for non-fiction books?

I don’t think Lit & Latte put out books on their own, those are usually written and published by other folks, and those people tend to write one book and make note of where the Mac version differs from Windows. Those differences will be very slight in the future, once version 3 for Windows is out, though there will be slight differences due to what Macs provide to developers vs. what the Windows team has to license or re-invent from scratch, or just the differences between the two types of computers.

But you will always have a very detailed manual (upon release–the Betas have outdated manuals) accessible from the Help menu and from the templates chooser.

And speaking of Templates…

Hey, I hate to be that guy but I stupidly upgraded to scriv 3 on my macbook pro but I also have a Win 10 machine running scriv 1 and I really need file comparability. I’m in the middle of a big project and it would really help if I could move files back and forth. Is scriv 3 beta on win stable or am I screwed?

Scrivener 3 on Mac has the option to Export “As Scrivener 2”. This allows it to read and edited in the current Windows version (1). We do not suggest using the beta for anything that you wish to keep as it is still very much a beta.

Hope this helps you.

Any status updates?

None other than that the next beta version should be coming out by the end of September. But since the current version expires on the 30th, I guess that’s hardly news :wink:

OK. Well, I have a multi-folder document on Win w/ latest scriv1. Text defaults, which in this case is Cambria 12pt, standard styles and ruler. I exported this file as a backup. Copied it over to a Mac with Scriv 3. And on import the formatting was completely screwed up. Obviously, Cambria iisn’t on the mac or something. Tried changing default format for the document. Tried converting formats for the document. I got lost in the weeds having to deal with this chapter by chapter instead of document and notes wide. And now I’m frustrated.

I’d like to be able to move documents between platforms without hassle. And just get back to work.

Hi Maynard,

It seems like your problem is with the Mac v3, but you’ve posted it in the Win beta forum.

Unless this is a Win beta issue, you should post it in the Mac forum. That said, to convert your font project-wide, first change the default font for new documents, then select all of your documents in the outliner. In the menu there should be an option to “convert to default formatting” or something like that, maybe under Documents.

HTH,
Jim