Scrivener 3 for Windows but when?

Oh, that’s simply an effect of it in some cases being faster. :laughing:

Didn’t you read an earlier answer that made perfectly clear why Windows development is much more work than development on MacOS? Just try to imagine to have to mimic MacOS behaviour without the support of (extensive) platform dependent libraries used for the MacOS version. There’s no magic here. The MacOS version is leading and the Windows version follows it for as much as possible. That takes a lot of extra coding and testing. L&L is not developing this as a cross platform solution but as two separate solutions of which the Windows version has to imitate part of the MacOS code base. This means for a part reverse engineering MacOS libraries to Windows executable code. It’s amazing that they are actually capable of doing that.

So, just be patient and write a book.

The problem is what is available to use vs what must be created/tested and implemented. Basically the underlying code that allowed the development of Scrivener for the Mac was readily available it seemed.

For Windows the api’s may not have been available from the SDK and had to or has to be created from scratch. This in itself is not an easy task. To just say its a management problem is not necessarily true. Nor is it justifiable to say hire more programmers . Management is probably aware of the problem but to hire/train and then develop the necessary skills may take far longer than to just have a small team work on the problem.

Perfect example is games. The more complex the game the longer it took to develop and release. If only on one platform it is fundamentally easier than to have it designed for say the PS/4, Xbox and desktop. More people hired does not equate to a better game due to very different underlying technologies the biggest being the desktop and its various configurations. Time constrain, heavy turnovers and missed deadlines forced developers to be pinned down on a ‘set’ release date for being ‘burned’ when the game failed to deliver both date and expectations.

I would rather wait for a more stable upgrade and live with a few unforeseen quarks that will most likely be missed (for not everything can be foresee) than to have something rushed out before it was ready for prime time.

People keep comparing Scrivener used on the Mac to what is now on Windows. That’s like comparing banna’s and pears. They are both good but are not the same in both appearances and taste. A person will favor one over the other even tho both are quite good because one may have better capabilities either by design or available software.

Web services are logistically much easier to upgrade than software that resides on the user’s computer: the vendor only has to upgrade across their own data centers, which are a much more clearly defined platform than all the variations of PC hardware and PC software environments that exist. Thus, web software suppliers often get a competitive advantage from releasing new features as quickly as possible, even if the changes from the previous version are quite small. Since PC software is harder to upgrade, PC software vendors tend to have a relatively small number of relatively major releases. Look at Microsoft itself, which only releases a major Windows version every three years or so, despite having essentially unlimited resources to dedicate to the problem.

(As a side note, the relative uniformity of Apple hardware makes developing for the platform significantly easier, even aside from the differences in toolkits discussed in this thread.)

Katherine

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
…

teehee

I updated my projection based on this last update to late Fall (Oct/Nov). I do think there is one more beta (9) followed by a release. The current beta is very good, however there are small minor bugs running around.

Considering that they haven’t finished implementing the compile features, I think that’s overly optimistic. Once it’s feature-complete, I wouldn’t expect fewer than 3 beta releases as bugs in the compile process are revealed through real-world testing.

Well, I am sure L&L will be happy when this is all done.

Looking forward to Scriv3Win. I haven’t seen the beta yet, but hoping we will finally have the important groundbreaking features that were exclusive only to Mac users.

Considering that Mac computers only holds 9.75% of the market share in 2016 and not seeing much of an increase since then, and are so cost prohibitive that people typically aren’t willing to switch over.

I would say finally upgrading the program will increase sales significantly as the Win version will hopefully no longer be the unloved child who is given only hand-me-downs and left to roam like a wild child on the streets (rarely considered for updates/upgrades), all while the favored child, the Mac version, is pampered, feed only the best food, groomed on a regular basis and taught everything there is to know (regular updates and upgrades)

Sure Mac computers look cool with their guts held nicely in the oversized monitors and simplistic design, but a computer isn’t typically an interior design element. Yes, I would love for my desktop to look sleek and sexy, but hey if it can’t do everything a Windows computer can do and have the wide availability of programs that only windows can provide, then I have to pass over the sleek and sexy for the boring box with lit up window to see inside computer. Maybe I will just spray paint the box a sleek white and stick a pretty sticker on the side… no wait… how about stick a unique wallpaper… hmmm… all the possibilities there are for making a windows box look sleek and sexy too without costing a fortune and loss of capability in the process. Now, where is my box of crafting supplies…Scissors… check, glue… check…

What feature(s) don’t work in Compile? What I’ve tested seems to work so far.

Does nobody read release notes anymore? They don’t specify which exact pieces aren’t wired up yet, but they do specifically call it out: From [url]Scrivener 3.0 Beta - Release Candidate 10 (Download Links & Change List)] :

You can also create a fresh interactive tutorial and search for anything marked with the “Missing Feature” character style (it looks like a light red highlight).

Thanks devinganger, I missed that in reviewing the notes.

Apologies, my reply was needlessly snappy.

Please understand that I would love to test Scrivener for windows. Please understand that you have not released a beta version since 2017. Please understand that beta releases are made for the express purpose of giving testers the opportunity to find bugs in the software, report the same bugs, you fix the bugs, and then you release a new beta version of the software. At least that’s how we do it in the states. I refuse to test antiques because doing so is a waste of my time. When will you Brits compile and release a new beta version with a document describing known bugs. :question: I think this is a great idea. :bulb: Would you please comment on this post so I can get an idea of where you are at :question: In other words I am asking for a status update as well as a release of beta 9. Please understand that perfection only comes in Heaven. I am very understanding about the fact that bugs are the norm for ANY software. I have been an IT professional for four decades and I think I understand how the process should work. Thank you for considering this note. I eagerly await your reply. Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill said, “Give us the tools and we will do the job”. That is all that I can ask also. He asked and we supplied. I am giving you the same ask and am awaiting your reply.

You are mistaken. The most recent beta was released just a few weeks ago.

While the pinned “announcement” post for beta releases is dated 2017, it is regularly updated and always includes both a link to the most recent beta version, and notes discussing the current status of bugs and feature enhancements.

Katherine

Please understand that I would love to test Scrivener for windows. Please understand that you have not released a beta version since 2017.
At least that’s how we do it in the states. I refuse to test antiques because doing so is a waste of my time.
When will you Brits compile and release a new beta version with a document describing known bugs. :question: I have been an IT professional for four decades and I think I understand how the process should work.

Your arrogance is showing on American portrayal. I can say this for I’m not British. Obviously reading Beta notes, what version has been released and notes of latest bugs is TL: DR of your stature. Sorry we can’t help you there. Please see an optometrist for your eyesight and maybe a refresher course on being an IT. These Brits as you say, are hard working on their product. Your arrogance is showing. You give Americans who work in IT a bad rep with that attitude.

Now now, there is no reason to flame them just because they made a mistake and then got a little heated about it.

By the way, the Windows developers are Australian and Bulgarian, and those keeping reports tested, wrangled and retested are in the US. :slight_smile:

You’re being fooled by the way they’re posting the notices of new betas.
The notification of the release is the last post in the “Scrivener 3.0 Beta 8 (Download Links & Change List)” thread, and the release notes are the first post.
Weird, but you get used to it.

Beta 8, version 2.9.0.8, was released on August 1, 2018.

My apologizes I did not mean to offend any of the Australian’s or Bulgarian’s either with my reply to the comment.

If you’re a new user of Scrivener for Windows, or are thinking about buying it, you may be wondering why Scrivener for Windows is on version 1 whereas our macOS version is on version 3. Don’t worry—for the most part, it’s just a number.

Scrivener for macOS and Scrivener for Windows are separate development efforts with different developers and code bases. Scrivener for macOS was released several years before our Windows developers came on board to create the Windows version. As a result, Scrivener 1 for Windows was released a year after Scrivener 2 for macOS.

In November 2017, our Mac team released Scrivener 3 for macOS, a major update containing many refinements and new features. We’re still hard at work on our next major version of Scrivener for Windows, which will bring our Windows version into line with the latest Mac version. To avoid confusion in the future, we have decided to skip a number and jump from version 1 to version 3 for our first major Windows update.

The great news is that if you buy Scrivener 1 for Windows now, you’ll get a free update to version 3 when it’s available. (Existing users of Scrivener 1 will be able to purchase Scrivener 3 for the discounted price of $25 when the time comes.)

From literatureandlatte topic. Hope it helps.