Scrivener for Windows...

:laughing:

I don’t have any other response to that.

Hello everyone I have just changed from Ywriter to Scrivener (sorry Simon :mrgreen: ) anyway I have seen that the price will be$40 for the windows version I just wondered how many upgrades will you get before having to pay for an upgrade. Thanks Grandad7

Hi Grandad7,

Thanks for using Scriv! There’s no specific answer to your question, I’m afraid. All minor updates are free, so if you buy 1.0 you get 1.0.1, 1.1, 1.5, 1.67, 1.8 and so on for free, but then have to pay for an update to 2.0 when it is released. Then all updates will be free until 3.0. The update price is about half of the regular price, or just over (it’s currently $25 on the Mac version, which costs $45 to buy new).

To give you some idea, though, 1.x of the Mac version was released in January 2007 and 2.0 was released in November 2010. Anyone who owned 1.x got 2.0 for $25, as I say, and anyone who had purchased 1.x three months or less before 2.0 was released got the update for free. So, someone who bought Scrivener 1.0 when it was first released got nearly four years of free updates; someone who bought in July 2010 only got four months’ worth (which doesn’t sound very fair, but unfortunately we have to have a cut-off, of course).

That said, I think 2.0 of the Windows version will come around much more quickly as 1.x of the Windows version won’t have all of Scrivener 2.0-for-the-Mac’s features. So it may be that for 1.x of the Windows version there is only a year or so of free updates, after which there would be a longer period for 2.0 (because I haven’t even started planning 3.0 for the Mac version yet).

So, in other words, we don’t know exactly. :slight_smile: What I can say is that we won’t release a paid upgrade less than a year after the last version was released. In general, it will be longer than that, but it’s difficult to say with Windows 1.x at the moment.

We do try to be as fair as possible, though, and a little flexible - in general we’re more interested in trying to make the current version as good as possible rather than trying to squeeze more money out of users for updates. Paid updates will only be for significant overhauls (2.0 on the Mac took me two years of coding, for instance).

Hope that helps a little, at least.

All the best,
Keith

Thank You! Especially from those of us who can only afford to buy a $300 windows machine. THANK YOU! I love it! I am telling everyone about it, from my grad buddies, to my writing buddies, to all the teachers who create lesson plan collections. You have made our lives so much easier. Thank you again!
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have friends who recommended this program, and I was sad at first when I saw that it was a Mac program, because I write most often on my laptop.

And then I found the link for the Windows version.

I am currently using the beta (0.20) to work on two short stories and a novel. I have used yWriter for a while (meh) and have paid for other programs - and far too much money at that. I am seriously in love with what I see, and fully intend to purchase the Mac version for my Cube at home, and will definitely purchase the Windows version when it’s released.

This is, by far, the best designed and simply the smartest writing program I have ever found.

That’s fantastic that you still have a working Cube! :slight_smile: You’ll need at least Tiger on it to run Scrivener though, so hopefully it’s updated.

It’s running the highest possible version of OS X that it can handle. It literally will not update any longer, because it’s hit the end of available updates. (It’s certainly 10.4, if not 10.5. Don’t think it can handle 10.5, but if it can, that’s what I’m running.)

I have bought and run it, and LOVE it on the Mac!

AMAZING program, and thank you again for all the effort that has been put in to this to make it work on Windows.

Wishlist (moderately important). I use Windows capability to extend my laptop desktop to a second monitor. For several reasons it is in the extended area when I put Scrivener when I am at work, but when I am home I do not yet have a second monitor. Most windows programs readjust automatically to just the available monitor configuration, but I find Scriviner is still mapped to the second monitor – and there’s no way to get it back. Not even restarting Scrivener gets it back because the monitor configuration is evidently saved to the current file, and Scrivener automatically goes gets the current file and the Scrivener desktop is off the screen! So I would be good if when emerging from sleep or hibernation, Scrivener also always checked the available monitor configuration and made a similar adjustment. Meanwhile I’m guessing that a fix would be that I must remember before ‘sleeping’ to drag Scrivener back to the laptop screen, disable the second monitor, then resave the file.

ELeP_PerthAU - Click in the taskbar to focus the window, right-click on the taskbar item and select “Move”, and then tap an arrow key to get the window back onto your screen.

Thanks. :blush: Long-time Windows user and times like now I realise my knowledge of the OS is as holey as a Swiss cheese. I’d like to be around in 20 years time when there is a next generation OS that takes care of all these things.

FINALLY! Kudos! thank you for making this version available.

I was going through the tutorial and found it very confusing when going through the Group Mode and Scrivenings Mode of the tutorial (not sure because it was 1 hour into the tutorial) :open_mouth: but after trying three different times it seemed quite ambiguous. (i never found that "stack of papers icon)

Hi guys,

I just wanted to notify you about my recent blog entry regarding Scrivener. You can check it out at:
http://red-stevie.com/?p=655

Can’t wait for the full product to hit this Hallowe’en.

Very best of luck to you all.

Regards,

Steve Parker
http://www.red-stevie.com

Did the small screenshot of the toolbar icon in question not show up for you in the tutorial? It should be right above the purple highlighted text in Step 11. The yellow highlighted portion of this controller is the “stack of papers” icon.

Thanks for the nice review!