Scrivener - on USB!

I was drinking my morning coffee while checking out the latest insightful, helpful comments from The Forum (okay I was looking for a funny comment to start the day with) when I suddenly saw a photo of the mug I was drinking out of. Took me a minute … looking back and forth between the photo and the mug in my hand. Then I remembered which one held the drinkable coffee and my mind began moving forward again. :smiley:

-karen

Karen,
Nirvana, and Instantaneous Differentiation, is easily achieved by the addition of a, 'Capful of the Holy Distillation, to enliven the taste… and your day. :smiling_imp:
Take care.
LoadsoLuv
Vic

I have received a telepathetic message.
It smells…funny. Never mind.
It seems a thread needs immuring in the gutter. Here I am.

I do not need a fresh usb drive nor a mug nor a long sleeved black T shirt.
But I want them all. I want them like breath.
I want to go on foreign beaches and be recognised by fellow writing wannabees.
I want to lend my tshirt to young ladies on beaches purely for the sake of photos.
I want to take a Scrivener coffee mug into a place of work and airily dismiss its origin as “Oh yeah, its professional writing software, can you understand that concept ?”

I shall now retire as the green fairy calls.

Paul

HALLELUJAH!!! I am cleansed!! :smiling_imp:
ang on!! No Im not!!
Were already in the gutter! We should be in the [size=150]SEWER[/size]. Y do know where that is, dont y? Its that place, [i]'you'[/i]', drag everything into eventually! Jeeezzz!!!! standards really are laxed around ere :imp:
Yre not as one with Guano brain and Jaysen, are y? :open_mouth:

Hey, I’m feeling a future competition coming on… Something along the lines of, “In how many places can you be photographed in Scrivener merchandise” for a prize of… more merchandise! :slight_smile:

wont work!
At least not with this bunch of deviants.
Youll end up with thousands of PhotoShopped fakes Yve bin at the cheese puffs a gen avent y`? :confused:

VIC-K
I resemble those remarks.
I do not drag threads into the sewer as you write.
I offer a different reality to whats offered.
If it appears malodourous. dangerous and unpleasant that is because that is how I am in this world. Not look view observe contemplate but live in this world.

Concerning KB’s thought of Scriv materials in bad places I know lots of ugly katoeys who will pose with T shirts and wear caps quite happily. I would win any competition and have a lot to be ashamed about.

Paul

I, am never wrong, ever. On those rare occasions when all the evidence, would indicate the contrary: the evidence, is wrong! However, in the case of ,“Standards, being really laxed around here.” I [i]was[/i] wrong! I hold my hands up! Dead out of order!! Standards around here aren`t laxed at all.

THEY DON`T FECKIN EXIST!!!

“Lapsed”, perhaps?

Although I wouldn’t mind a somewhat larger capacity Scriv drive for project backups. I keep my ‘off site’ backups on my iPod now.

Too true! Definitely ‘Dead Parrot

The Scriv drive is only a means of delivering a hard copy of Scriv, is it not? Surly youd want to keep that safe, for reinstalls. Whats to stop you copying it to a bigger drive, and utilising it as you want. I dont think theres any licensing restrictions, if it`s for your own use, is there?

Or are you talking about a bigger drive, just sporting the Scriv Logo, and no content?

You`ve got to admit though, as a suppository, they are cute. HAL D! what does he know?
vic

I just escaped that storm for Christmas! Took me all of six hours to get across the city due to faltering public transportation, only to find the airport had turned into a massive bohemian campground with thousands of people living on the floors. Oi.

Oy indeed! So you got out? Lucky you!! We had about another 5 inches of snow last night plus freezing rain–just enough to make things pretty slick. According to the piled up snow on top of our cars and storage bins, we received over a foot of snow over the past few days. For around here, that is huge. Growing up in Cleveland, Ohio, that wouldn’t have even been enough to close the schools! But there is no plowing the side streets here in Portland nor salting the streets nor other aids to driving. Lucky for me I still have all my winter clothes from living back east and can walk most places I need to! Looks like it will be a while before a lot of this melts.

And my husband tells me it is again snowing! Hope you are somewhere warm and sunny!

We only had about 18" where I am. Looks like we might get a little more (<24") today. Keep in mind that these numbers are not unusual for us. We just don’t get storms like this until February.

I will admit that I found myself sitting in a ditch when my little crap car was actually blown off the road by the wind today. Proof of the crappiness of my car (a Chevy Aveo) is the fact that it never sank into the snow. The car is so light that it “floated” instead of sinking. My neighbor who came to pull me out was astounded by this. We actually SANK when we stood in spot where the car was stuck.

By comparison, the car just down (Prius) the ditch was all the way into the mud. Apparently those things are worse in the snow than anyone anticipated. I must have seen 10 of them stuck today.

I once heard that on any given internet forum, if a thread went on long enough and had enough participants, there was 100% chance that someone would liken somebody else to Hitler. Not on this forum. On this forum, given enough posts, there is 100% chance that everyone will forget whatever it was they started talking about and have a nice chat instead. :slight_smile: I’m not complaining. Happy holidays!

HItler who? :confused:

A three-year-old kid in New Jersey who couldn’t get a birthday cake.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28269290/

… but to return to the topic:

Through the summer, one of my neighbors prattled endlessly about his new SmartCar. Inexpensive, terrific crash test reading, and 55-60 mpg. I notice, however, that he hasn’t dared take it out of the garage for the past three weeks. An icy Interstate with 50-mph cross winds = SmartCar aloft.

My beat-up old Volvo has all the nimbleness, grace, and blinged-up amenities of a Sherman tank. It is, however, as solid on the road as a Sherman tank. (Forgive the antediluvian military reference; I’ve lost touch with contemporary battle-wagons.)

… and who’s this KB fellow who tries to keep the conversation on one track only?

ps

But we are all thinking of your USB delivery method in the background!

I did have a thought on this, but it is probably as useful as any thought I have had lately (which is a slow way os saying useless). Can you give us the same USB in a 2GB version? USB are very useful in that size. You can use Dave’s avitar for the empties. THAT would be cool.

Anyway, I am trying to get someone, anyone, that lives in my house to buy me some scriv stuff. I don’t think they are getting the hint.

As for delivering Scrivener on a USB drive: For promotional purposes, great idea. For general commercial distribution, I have to say I think it isn’t a good idea for these two reasons:

1. People may mistakenly believe that they can run Scrivener from the USB drive and will therefore be disappointed in Srivener when the learn it doesn’t work. Why disappoint customers, especially new ones?

2. It has got to be more costly to distribute on a USB drive than on a CD… right? Why cut into your profit margin?

If it means anything, I’ve been a sales and marketing professional for 28 years. That doesn’t guarantee that I’m right (just ask my boss), but at least I have a little experience to weigh in favor of my contrary opinion! :unamused:

Well, there’s nothing to stop anyone running Scrivener from the USB drive - it’s just that it’s not optimal to run projects from a USB drive. I think this can mostly be got around by making it clear both at point of sale and in the leaflet that comes with the USB stick that Scrivener is not intended to be run from the USB stick. As I say, on the stick will be the regular DMG, which when double-clicked prompts you to drag Scrivener to your Applications folder.

Actually, the whole point is that it’s cheaper - not the USBs themselves, but because we won’t need to produce so much packaging. They can be put into a padded envelope with a leaflet with the registration information on them - that’s much cheaper than having a proper packaged product (which will hopefully come later). If we went the CD route, then we’d have to have proper CD box packaging and so forth, as that is what a customer would expect. By having the USB “pill”, we can offer it as a gimmicky option for those who really want a postal delivery, or to give Scrivener as a present. The idea is that this is a stop-gap until we are at a point where we are able to offer a proper packaged (CD-based) product, as we do get a lot of questions about this.

Best,
Keith

Scrivener on a stick! Larry “Bud” Mellman would approve. (Apologies to non-Americans and non David Letterman fans who miss this reference.) Besides, CDs are SO, like, 20th century. MacBook Air users who didn’t buy a separate CD drive would certainly appreciate getting SCrivener on a USB drive, which I think is the preferred non-wireless method for that lovely machine.

Oh, and since we’re straying dangerously near on topic here again, let me just note that spending a couple of weeks traveling / escaping the snowstorm with my wife and her MBA (a thoughtful birthday gift from her noble husband) has persuaded me that Apple was right all along in stripping it down so much. In her actual (and my wishful) use, the alleged storage and connectivity deficiencies really aren’t; I can spell out the workarounds if anyone’s interested in pulling us yet farther off topic. And for the 95% of the time that she’s not using an accessory like a small portable hard drive, USB stick, or external CD drive, it is an absolute dream to use. The screen makes my MacBook’s look like [insert name of celeb supermodel of the month] next to [insert name of superannuated Rolling Stones guitarist].