Scrivener's British English

Hi,

So I’ve set Scrivener to British English, ensuring that:

• File → Options → General → Language (set to “System Language”)
  • File → Options → Corrections → Spelling (set to “English (United Kingdom-en-gb)”)

It still gets some standard spellings wrong, for example:

“The sessions had benefitted the students…” (it doesn’t like “benefitted” which is grammatically correct in Britain).

These kinds of things can frustrate as, when writing, they can take me “out of the moment” … is there any way Scrivener can correct this?

James

1 Like

Here’s a discussion on how to replace the default dictionary files with better options: [JH] Dictionaries - Portuguese - #6 by Aristoteles (it’s the same problem with many languages).
I think copying from LibreOffice is a good option, if you have one installed.

2 Likes

Here’s a discussion on how to replace the default dictionary files with better options: [JH] Dictionaries - Portuguese - #6 by Aristoteles (it’s the same problem with many languages).
I think copying from LibreOffice is a good option, if you have one installed.

Thanks.

I downloaded the zipped dictionary file from here: 12Dicts Package (aspell.net)

In it, in the “International” folder there are 4 files, these are 2of4brif.txt, 3of6all.txt, 3of6game.txt and 5d+2a.txt. The format of these files seems pretty similar (to each other), just word lists. It isn’t the same as the ones in my C:\Program Files\Scrivener3\hunspell\dict\English-en-gb folder where the en-GB.dic file is a word list but with extra stuff I don’t understand, for example:

amoral
amorphous/PY
amortise/nSGD
amortize/nNSGD
amour/MS
amphibian/MS

If I simply replece the file with an identically named word list (none of the weird stuff), will that work?

Thanks

James

Not sure what these are :slight_smile:
Please note that S3 is using Hunspell, not Aspell.
Try this topic: Tutorial: How to update dictionary files

2 Likes

I found and installed some UK dictionaries here:

dictionaries/dictionaries/en-GB at main · wooorm/dictionaries · GitHub

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

James

1 Like

I used Scowl to build a comprehensive Hunspell GB dictionary file.
http://wordlist.aspell.net/

2 Likes

Thanks, they’re better than the one’s I had and I’ve used them :slight_smile:

James