Several functions not working

I’m a complete newbie, having begun to use Scrivener a few days ago, so I might have missed something, but I cannot make some functions work:

• changing text or highlight color is impossible: a right-click on either button in the format bar doesn’t do anything
  • spellchecking and autocompletion don’t work
  • when working in full screen Scrivening mode, the Editor panel remains the same when I go from a document to another, so I have never know in which one I’m actually writing.

What can I do to fix these issues?
I’m using Scrivener on a Fedora 20 distro.

Scrivener for Linux is very much in Beta. Some things simply don’t work yet. See this post on the current situation and the advantages of using WINE. But in the meantime, the price is good… :slight_smile:

Here’s my experience, in case it’s of any interest; please note I’m running 1.7.2.3 32-bit, and some issues are 64-bit only. Are you using Scrivener 1.7.2.3 64-bit?

1. The drop-down arrows next to text colour and highlight buttons in the toolbar are non-functional for me. As a workaround to change the text or highlight colours, use either the main menu (Format/Font/Text Color, Format/Highlight) or right-click on your selected text and use these options in the context menu.

2a. Spellchecking: this works fine for me, both as-you-type and the spelling review box. When a document has no spelling errors, the notification box is the wrong shape and the message is not legible; this could give the impression that spellcheck is not working.

2b. Autocompletion: this works perfectly for me.

1. Editor Pane in Scrivenings Mode. I see the title of the container I’m viewing at the top of the editor pane. It doesn’t switch to the title of each document as I scroll down. I thought that was the intended behaviour in Scrivenings mode, but I may be wrong. Is that not the behaviour you expect? Should the top line of the editor pane display the document title instead? The document name appears in the Synopsis section of the Inspector pane, so I use that to identify which document I’m in.

Yes. :slight_smile:
And I’ve also never used Wine, and wouldn’t like to battle with it.

Yes, I’m running 64-bit. Do 32-bit computers still exist?
But if the 32-bit version is more reliable, I could install it, I guess.

I don’t really need it in fact. It was just one of those things that obviously don’t work.

I can see the wrong shape message box, but the program never finds any error, though I made some typos. I should have mentioned that I write in french (I switched back to the english interface, though, as it is easier to find the commands when following the user guide…) I found a command to download the french dictionary; the program seemed to have ‘worked’ a bit, but the spelling didn’t work any better after that. Has it really downloaded something? Or is it going to ‘say’ something if it didn’t find any dictionary?

I might have been wrong there. I just checked again, after having added some new substitution rules, and those work fine.

The problem is in full screen mode only: the floating inspector window is not updated when I change section, so I have no way to know in which document I’m writing.

According to this thread there seems to be a dictionary problem when one uses a language other than english.

Sorry to have been absent from this thread so long, tosca.

I have a house full of geriatric 32-bit machines. :smiley: Unfortunately I didn’t have a 64-bit computer with me when I replied before.

I’m no expert, but I wasn’t suggesting switching to 32-bit. I use the 64-bit edition on my main writing computer, and I don’t notice any difference in 1.7.2.3, though I believe that with some older versions the 32-bit edition was sometimes better.

Indeed, in full screen mode the floating inspector window does not update to reflect the current sub-document but instead displays information for the sub-document selected before full screen was entered. This affects every section of Inspector, including synopsis (as you point out) and notes (which is a particular problem in academic writing). Personally I don’t edit in full screen scrivenings because of this and the text selection bug. For full-screen editing, I work with a single sub-document at a time, so inspector and mouse selection both work correctly. You can then use Alt+Shift+Up and Alt+Shift+Down to move between sub-documents in full screen, and inspector will update correctly.

Maybe someone will have a chance to fix this soon? :slight_smile: This bug exists in Windows too and the Scrivener team is on it