Styles only stick on SHIFT-ENTER?

Is this as it is supposed to be or is the reset to no style (aka font: Sitka Text | Regular | 12 | 1.0x) every time I hit enter at the end of paragraph an unintentional bug?

Generally speaking Scrivener isn’t designed to use styles for body text, if that is what you’re thinking of. That aside, if you’re using them for something other than that, like a long block quote, you need to set up the style to work that way. I went over the process in a very similar thread a while ago.

P.S. I think with Shift-Enter you’re actually inserting a line feed, which you probably don’t want, as you’d end up with one very long paragraph. You may want to turn on invisibles (in View ▸ Text Editing ▸ Show Invisibles) to see what’s going on better.

Thanks Amber, I appreciate it! I imported a header structure to flesh out which killed the option to use templates to get the default structure, this seemed like the next best option. FYI, sh-enter does indeed generate a linefeed. I generally generate to word for final formatting, this still works out okay as long as you type in your initial paragraph indent. It’s a tradeoff.

You should really not put linefeeds where paragraph breaks are meant to be. You are just bound to regret it later when your practices or intentions shift. That’s when those linefeeds will come back to haunt you! And there is just no need to do that.

The bottom line (if I may) of AmberV’s reply is that when you defined your custom style you neglected to indicate in the style specification that you wanted that same style to be used in the ensuing paragraph (i.e., when Return is hit). You can use Redefine Style to change this.

—gr

1 Like

Okay, it sounds like, in addition to using linefeeds instead of paragraph breaks, you’re inserting tab characters into the stream of text to emulate indent formatting.

I would just roll all of that back, because these are both tools not designed to be used for what you’re using them for, and they are all going to be problematic down the line—if not for you, some person who is tasked with turning your manuscript into a book is going to have to undo all of that.

We can probably help you with the underlying problem, but to do so it would help to know better what it is you are referring to:

I imported a header structure to flesh out which killed the option to use templates to get the default structure, this seemed like the next best option.

So if I understand you correctly, you imported some outlining structure into the Draft folder—some writing method or something—and are looking to make it work like the template was originally set up? Because that’s certainly something you can do. There is no “killing the option” in Scrivener, and the template’s “default structure” is in fact just an example we created to demonstrate one particular way in which you could use Scrivener. You by no means need to follow its rules.

What would probably help a lot is to go through the “Section Types” section in the interactive tutorial, found in the Help menu, and the following section as well. It’s a short guide, and will brief you on how a project’s structure can be customised and ultimately how that structure can be made to export as you will. If you have a binder structure that is different than how the template suggests you could work, that’s totally fine. The solution is to change some settings so the compiler understands your new structure.

Falling back to using Scrivener like a word processor, doing everything with styles in long documents, isn’t going to break anything, and its one way to go, but you’ll be missing out on a lot of what the software is meant to give you.

Found it, missed that setting. In hindsight I can see the use of setting it up this way, although even in an app focused on organization over formatting I’s think there would be a standard ‘body’ style set by default. thanks grrrr.

Glad that worked out.

FYI, It is not that a Body style is missing. Rather, “No Style” is meant to serve as the standard body text “style” in Scrivener. You can set it to have any look you like working in. This is also part of what AmberV was encouraging you to see – and which is probably a different way of thinking than whatever software you are used to using before.

1 Like

Yeah, that post that I linked you to has a bit of the background on the philosophy of how Scrivener is designed to be used, and the reference to the user manual specifically goes over how the styles feature works best.

There is no ‘body’ or ‘normal’ style because essentially “No Style” is that, and leaving your text that way will give the compiler freedom to format the text for you on output—and that includes indenting in most cases. You don’t have to worry about having a paragraph style without an indent at the top of a section, and another style for the rest, it will figure out that stuff for you.

All you have to do is just write. :slight_smile:

I hear this notion repeatedly … people saying “no style” is the default format, as if it acts like a style. It does not. If you change the default style, it has no effect on existing paragraphs unless you reapply “no style” to them. If it were a style, you wouldn’t have to reapply it.

1 Like

True that. Hence the scare quotes on ‘style’. “No Style”, true to its name, is not a style. It is a paragraph preset. But still, for all that, it is meant to be used as one might elsewhere in the universe have used a body text style setting.

That’s the genius of “No Style” in a style-based system. You’re not changing the default style, you’re changing the default formatting for any new text you create – and you DO NOT have to reapply that formatting elsewhere. (The fact that people think you do is a byproduct of how we’ve been trained by all the other software we used.)

To the compiler, it’s all the same, because Scrivener isn’t WYSIWYG. The split between the editor and the compiler is such a fundamental concept to the Scrivener workflow.

I can literally have every single document in my manuscript use a separate formatting baseline, and as long as I don’t attach style information to any of it, once I compile it it’s all uniform and exactly as I want it for my output format. If I’m pulling together my documents from a variety of different sources and tools, I don’t have to spend the time to manually make the formatting consistent. Scrivener will do that for me during the compile phase.

There’s no easy way to achieve that same result in a system that forces everything to have a style. Scrivener is literally making life easier by only making you configure the differences that are going to matter.

3 Likes

I think it probably comes from folks (such as myself) who commonly use Word and recognize normal as the default style which applies to all unspecified body. Ad hoc application is extremely useful if you are trying to visually preview a publish look prior to completed text entry or have branding to consider. I do business process documentation and love Scrivener for intermediate collection of ‘wordier’ processes, among other projects. Beats a mind mapper hands down .

1 Like

21 posts were split to a new topic: Relationship between No Style and default editor format