Synching Issues Between MacBook and iPad

I’ve scoured the L&L support site and haven’t found a solution to my exact problem. I am running Scrivener 3.2.2.

On my MacBook, my Scrivener project file “syncs” with Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener. The only thing in this folder is my *.scriv file. (My backups are in Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Backups.) I’m not sure if I’ve set up sync properly on my MacBook, as I thought the various project folders, such as Draft, Research, etc., containing text and other files would be put in the Dropbox folder.

I recently bought an iPad and when I tried to sync with the Dropbox Scrivener folder using the sync icon, it did not give me the option of choosing the Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener folder to sync with; it simply told me “Dropbox is up to date” and failed to download any project or other files.

What am I doing wrong? Have I set up my MacBook sync preferences incorrectly? Shouldn’t Dropbox contain individual folders and files from the Scrivener project? Do I need to delete my Scrivener preferences and start over? Am I doing something wrong on my iPad?

Many thanks.

Is the Dropbox app running on the Mac?

Have you told iOS Scrivener where to look for the projects? You need to set it up, in iOS Scriv on the iPad. In the opening project screen, Edit, cog wheel at the bottom, Dropbox settings.

Draft, Research, etc. (the Binder) are coded in the .scrivx XML index file, which you never see on a Mac unless you go to extra trouble to see it. (Don’t.) All you should see on the Mac is the .scriv.

There are no sync settings on the Mac other than placing your project in a Dropbox folder.

iOS Scrivener’s default sync location setting is ~/Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener, but it can be any Dropbox folder so long as the location on your Mac is the same as the location setting in iOS Scrivener.

Here’s the official explanation:

https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ios/dropbox-syncing-with-ios?fbclid=IwAR0r09_vXxvxBgT1uCwWGInMMM9YdKWF4C6gtprnLg5YyU17MyqUPZa_cpc

and here’s another look (iPhone, not iPad, but they’re similar):

https://www.notion.so/deepspacecorps/iOS-Sync-Settings-Project-Location-12081965242945379b0d15e91b9479e8

Oh yeah, you won’t be typing ~/ anywhere, but it means your home folder, where all your personal files are.