Template Library

This thread contains links to templates which have been created by users of Scrivener like yourself. In some cases, the template may be from older versions of the software, and will need to be updated prior to use. This update will happen automatically when you attempt to first use the template.

If you create your own templates and wish to share them with the community, feel free to post a link or attach the template file to this thread. For an exceptionally detailed set of instructions on how to share template and script designs, please review this thread.

Special thanks to Lord Lightning for digging out all of the existing links, and collecting them here in the following post.

1 Like

Word to the wise: Templates are only event placeholders - fantastic for getting your ideas into an initial shape. You have to provide the interior voices to bring the events to life. Then you can do all the bending and shaping in the rewrites - where the real creative work is done. It is the last bit that is important, not the shape hugging template you began with. Writing is Rewriting

Ernest Hemingway: ā€œDonā€™t get discouraged because thereā€™s a lot of mechanical work to writingā€¦I rewrote the first part of Farewell to Arms at least fifty times.ā€

Paddy Chayefsky: ā€œIā€™m not a great writer, Iā€™m a great rewriter.ā€

So, use these templates to get past the straightjacket of structure, to get to the creative rewrite phase.

Good Template discussion thread
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/writers-cafa/97/1

Award Winning PhD Template for qualitative research
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/writers-cafa/97/1

Novel Writing Template
A Sequence/scene form with blanks that you just fill in and flesh out your own story bit-by-bit and a 20 chapter form based on the scenes in the earlier Sequence form.
Also includes a Beat Sheet ā€˜carry anywhereā€™ note book look see.
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/terrific-the-beta-blows-every-other-app-away/106/1

Chronological template - easily adapt to your own needs
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8479&start=60#p75517

Useful Empty Project
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/standard-empty-project/1875/1

Scrivener Template for Picture Books
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-for-picture-books/1864/1

Structured Story Development Template
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/setting-up-a-structured-story-development-environment/1232/1

PrimitiveWorkerā€™s Final Draft Script Formats (extraā€™s package)
viewtopic.php?t=2230

xiameneseā€™s Nisus template for BBC radio drama format
viewtopic.php?t=2759

Antony Johnston Final Draft Comic Template
viewtopic.php?p=25131#25131

Anthony, wisely points out that [i]templates are a tool, not a rule. If a template helps you ask questions that you feel are important to developing your story, all well and good, but donā€™t feel the need to follow it slavishly.

Donā€™t become shoe-horned into following a template if, deep down, you know it doesnā€™t fit.

If youā€™re just starting out, imho youā€™ll find more value in stuff that advises on the page-level dynamics of scene/sequel progression, conflict structure, and character creation, as opposed to the ā€œbig pictureā€ thinking.[/i]

:unamused:

i tried to dl the PhD template, but cannot open it. I read the thread it links to, but cannot find an application folder to try dropping it into, i just see the app icon that launches it.

Hi klindy,

1. Open Scrivener and use the New Projects dialogue box.
    A drop-down menu at the bottom will let you locate the template and move it to your user Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Templates.

So the steps are firstly to just place the template PhD Template Qualitative Model.scrtpl on your desktop. The important bit is the .scrtpl suffix.

Secondly, open Scrivener then a new project. Now you are not actually opening a new project, that is where the little drop down menu is. It says, Templates. Click it and the Import/Export Templates menu drops down.

Click on Import Template(s).

Point it to the .scrtpl file on your desktop. It should then import it for you to your user Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Templates.

1. If that is presenting problems, just manually put it in your user Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Templates.
    Import Template.jpg

fantastic! thanks, this is wonderful!

Hi klindy, just a reminder to read the last post in the thread:

literatureandlatte.com/forum ā€¦ c&start=60

It is a detailed response to question about this particular template.

All the best if you are doing a Phudd or a Masters.

:slight_smile:

Excellent and useful Workflow posted in another thread by AJ.

Taking notes from a PDF document using a combination of DevonThink Pro and Scrivener.

In DevonThink Pro:

1. Make a new group called Clipping Room. In the Import preferences set Clipping Room as the destination for new notes.

2. Import the PDF into Clipping Room and start reading.
    The first time you come across an interesting passage, select it and take a rich note.
    This creates a new RTF document in Clipping Room with the selected passage as both its content and title.

3. Select any subsequent interesting passages and append a rich note. This tacks the selected passage onto the end of the original note.

If you have to switch databases or restart DTPro before youā€™ve finished taking notes, you will end up with a new RTF document from each notetaking session that follows a reopening of your notetaking database. Merge these RTF documents when youā€™ve finished taking notes.

In Scrivener:

1. Drag the merged RTF document into Scrivener and convert it to a folder.

2. Split the editor and lock the content of the folder into the bottom editor.

3. Then you can review the notes youā€™ve taken.
    As you come across a topic in the bottom editor, make a new document in the folder, name it according to the topic, select it in the top editor, and drag the passage from the bottom editor into the top editor.

4. Choose a sentence or two to be the synopsis.
    If the passage in the top editor becomes more specific - examples, quotes, special techniques - select a phrase, split the passage with the selection as the title, and move the new document right to become a subdocument.

5. The end result is a hierarchy of documents organised vertically by topic and horizontally by specificity. You can review them quickly by looking at the synopses on the corkboard.

Thanks AJ

I donā€™t need this, I donā€™t neeed this!!! Oh, sorry, Iā€™m just expressing my delight in finally being DONE with the Ph.D. process! Iā€™m still trying to get used to it. :laughing:

But best of luck to all beginning or still in this process. Hang in there. It can be brutal, but itā€™s all worth it! Very nice that LL has provided a template to help smooth the way!!!

Alexandria

LL, Iā€™ve been nosing around this thread and downloaded a couple more templates. Very cool. Thanks again for the Master Fiction template and all the others youā€™ve provided and collected!

Alexandria

go ahead and create a heroā€™s journey templateā€¦

And here it isā€¦

literatureandlatte.com/forum ā€¦ php?t=2815

Iā€™m a fan

Looks like Iā€™m too dumb to find Fiction Master Template B. Is this still around?

Thanks!

J.

Here you go, direct link,

literatureandlatte.com/forum ā€¦ 5104#15104

Guess what - Iā€™m still too dumb to find it!

I see this:

Amber kindly posted a version here which seems to work OK:

literatureandlatte.com/forum ā€¦ &start=165

But canā€™t find a download file where this link is directing me.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a major issue with my prefrontal cortex ā€¦

Master Fiction Template.

No longer available. This was only for beta testers. It is not a part of the commercial application.

Yep, found it (edit: if Master Fiction B is the character template example) thanks a lot LL. I had already got Master Ficiton A and the Mythic Form and was really curious about Master Fiction B.

These templates are an interesting approach to the writing process. Itā€™s almost like painting by numbers. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll use them for my ā€œseriousā€ writing, but for a fun project this could be very interesting. It automatically makes you want to break the structure, as it is layed out so clearly in front of your eyes.

Thanks for all the work![/b]

Deleted

Itā€™s interesting to see how, at least over here in Europe, people dealing with ā€œseriousā€ literature frown at the idea of outlining, never mention using templates, regarding a piece of good literature more like it is ā€œbornā€ than ā€œcraftedā€. The higher up you go in the cultural standing (which should not be mistaken with quality) the less plot-driven the story gets. The result is a lot of beautifully written, poetical but awfully boring books. You hardly ever find novels that are intellectually challenging, fast paced and well structured Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ I think contemporary US literature has overtaken us in that regard, just think about Chuck Palahniuk for instance. My editor would actually NOT like it if she saw that my latest novel had a structure that would look even a little bit like it came ā€œout of the boxā€.

Well, what is all that gibberish about? I think itā€™s just procrastination, Iā€™ve got a deadline due 1st of December, around 2/3s of the novel still to go. But, hey, as long as the structure is there :wink:
Itā€™ll be my 7th published novel and the first one written entirely in Scrivener. :stuck_out_tongue:

Deleted

Yes, Iā€™ve seen Adaptation maybe 10 or 12 times and it is truly a must for screenwriters. Kaufman is the Ronaldinho of screenwriting. Heā€™s so good Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ it doesnā€™t even make you envious. Well, back to work, countdownā€™s ticking ā€¦

Hi,
Does anyone know where to find this:

the template PhD Template Qualitative Model.scrtpl

Best regards,