The Unit (NiaD 11)

It’s quite fun finding the bits that actually line up (alongside the ones that don’t of which there are one or two :slight_smile: perhaps) eg that Grange is observed humming/singing inanely in two different chapters in Blue!

1 Like

Tried searching an individual thread for a @gr composite. Gave up.

1 Like

Huh?
You can wassail, fight pirate dolphins, read and remain un-arrested, all whilst standing up?
That’s as insane as NiaD itself!
I can do most of those, but I need a couch… and a cat. And a blanket helps, muchly.

1 Like

The current ePubs are much better, indeed! Lunar520 was so hard to read. Its font size was too large.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because we live in different worlds. Here, I’m on call most of the time so I need to be on my feet and get going on short notice, so I can’t afford to lounge around with my book like this…

2 Likes

The Bespoke Edition of ‘The Unit’ is now posted!

http://gbrish.net/niadweb/2021

This web-based setting of the novel includes every version of every chapter in a form that makes them easy to browse and select and read, so you can mix and match your own bespoke edition of this extraordinary novel.

There are 7,558,272 distinct possible versions of The Unit. So, man up, readers!

Congratulations to all.
Thanks to Pigfender for another incredible go!

gr

Note: When it comes to ISP, I “buy local”, so sometimes their servers have to – what? wake up? am I their only client? I don’t know. :unamused: ) Sip some tea.

7 Likes

Thanks, @gr! Looks great as always!

1 Like

amazing that you could set that up! very cool

1 Like

Dunno that raindrops and roses are much to do with chicklit. Try Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keyes, to get a start on the genre.

If I get a moment I might go back and update the formatting on the older ones.

I will say I was glad that I didn’t end up with one of these chapters:

3 Likes

Yeah, me too. There’s not an awful lot of dialogue or exposition involved.

Thanks Rog in advance!

Fandabadoozy! Thank you @gr , and vast oodles of thanks to @pigfender , too.

2 Likes

Ok… so which chapter do people think was the hardest this time?

Very interesting topic that was.

I think mine was hard.

Many thanks our fantastic @gr and of course @pigfender :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I noticed regarding the number of distinct possible versions:
7,558,272 (NiaD XI) < 229,582,512 (NiaD 9) < 1,088,391,168 (NiaD X) < 1,633,640,400 (NiaD 9½). Maybe because some of the chapters only had one author this time round?

1 Like

Exactly so. A couple singleton chapters cuts down the combinatorial possibilities exponentially.

I try never to miss an opportunity to say ‘exponentially’.

1 Like

do singletons increase the opportunity to drink? exponentially?

1 Like