The Unit (NiaD 11)

Oh oh, I know the answer to this one! For each chapter author X who was assigned a chapter Y, X believes that Y was certainly the hardest chapter.

Actually, even if I fumbled it or had a hard time mustering the right genre feel, I am sure I did not have the hardest chapter.

I like the one I got, and had fun taking it in a perhaps unexpected direction, speaking in a narrative way. I would say maybe chapter two looks the most difficultā€”if thatā€™s the one Iā€™m thinking of, which is essentially a huge confrontation between the new CO (is that the right abbreviation?) and the second. But I struggle more with dialogue heavy chapters in general. So that one would have intimidated me no matter what the content or subject matter was.

I had an easy chapter that was extremely difficult. I wanted to show the unglamorous and obnoxiously boring side of the real life these guys live. All I managed to do was write a mediocre bit of bad dialog that inspired ā€œmy sourcesā€ to reply with ā€œthat was a lot more exciting than I expectedā€¦ only had to drink three cups of coffee to get through it, I normally need a go pill.ā€

By the way, the use of ā€œgo pillsā€ is a problem for these guys when they get back from deployments. It kills me to think that we turn them into addicts then accuse them of malfeasance when they canā€™t get the help they need to return to normal human life.

3 Likes

A proposed way to get more folks signed up for NiaD: break the combinatorial record :laughing:

Methinks singletons increase the likelihood of someone figuring out who is the naughty writer whose work includes particular quirks, such as space pirate dolphinsā€¦ and if those quirks trigger certain readers to drink, thereā€™s the correlation that may or may not imply causalityā€¦ and may or may not be exponential in the corresponding mathematical modelā€¦

1 Like

Not having read military fiction myself, whichever chapter that became my hap would have been quite challenging for meā€¦

Are you suggesting space pirate dolphins are a quirk?

In my combinatorial opinion, space pirate dolphins are an obvious fandabadoozy, and hence more a fetish than a quirk.

No no no no no

They are a lifestyle.

1 Like

My observation has been that it was at least one and no more than five of us talking about space pirate dolphins, so if any submission includes space pirate dolphins, we could make an educated guess that one of us was the writerā€¦ as to whether such an inclusion qualifies as a quirk, it doesnā€™t really matter. I wanted to use a term that says ā€œif you find such-and-such in a piece of writing, it is highly likely that it is written by so-and-soā€¦ā€

I think my quirk is usually that I must include something French in my writingā€¦

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I always think Iā€™ll pull up the download page on my phone and grab the epub, but I never remember. So I just grab the pdf on my computer.

You are amazing!

2 Likes