[v1.9] Images & Formatting

New here, hopefully these aren’t easy fixes because I’ve tried troubleshooting from the Help area and google but nothing seems to help.

Is it possible to just copy/paste images into Scrivener? Every time I’ve attempted it, the image is broken and nothing shows. The only effective way I’ve been able to include images was to upload/import, but that has been extremely tedious as I have to save the images first, adding an extra step. I’d rather just be able to either copy/paste or drag an image over for it to come up. Is this possible or am I dreaming? I haven’t upgraded to Scrivener 3 yet (on Windows), so I wanted to ask if that might be something I’d be able to do if I did upgrade.

Another issue I keep running into is when pasting text, regardless of whether I specify to match style or not, it will always match the style of the page I copied from even when that makes the text completely glitched up and unreadable. I don’t think it’s ever actually pasted as plain text for me. Has anyone noticed problems like that in 3? (Or the old one, for that matter?)

Sometimes it would completely mess up my bullet points as well–which is not actually an issue and won’t even be shown to anyone but me, but I’m sure I’m not the only writer here with OCD lol

Thanks in advance!

Pasting graphics into the main text editor is something you can do, yes. However it’s worth noting that not every clipboard contains an image in the sense that you think it does. The most common culprit here are browsers, where some may actually not copy the image itself, but create a little “HTML page” that includes the image on the clipboard, and some may not even have the image itself in the clipboard but only reference it online as a normal HTML image link. There are other stray exceptions here and there as well. Not every program puts an image on the clipboard in a standard way when you drag and drop, etc.

In short, try something simple and standard, like opening up MS Paint, drawing a doodle, copying it, and pasting into a Scrivener text item. That should work, though I haven’t tried it since I don’t have Windows booted up. It works for me using Gimp on Linux though, which has multiple layers of complexity (involving compatibility layers enabling me to run Windows software on Linux) that could conceivably get in the way of things more than MS Paint and Scrivener. If that works though, then you know that nothing is wrong with Scrivener.

Another issue I keep running into is when pasting text, regardless of whether I specify to match style or not, it will always match the style of the page I copied from even when that makes the text completely glitched up and unreadable.

I don’t know what most of that means in a practical sense. I would need an example of what “completely glitched up” means to you, what you expect to see, and so forth. Ideally, provide the browser you use (assuming you mean webpage here when you say “page” and not a PDF page—see what I mean about not having enough information!) and what site you are copying from.

Sometimes it would completely mess up my bullet points as well–which is not actually an issue and won’t even be shown to anyone but me, but I’m sure I’m not the only writer here with OCD lol

Yeah, bullets can be a mess. Here is a recent post, by way of example.

I don’t bother with them, by the way, I just write using Markdown in Scrivener. It’s a lot simpler as you just type what you mean rather than having to depend upon fancy features, working around bugs in them and such. A list for me is just a paragraph starting with "* " or "1. ", and maybe a tab or two if I need indenting in the list, and that’s it. It’s pretty difficult to mess that up! Plus it works just like a lot of other forms of writing do—this forum for instance, uses Markdown to add formatting. I’m using it write now to type this up. I don’t have to switch “head spaces” when going between software, when I use one unified and standard approach to writing formatted text across the board. But some people do love their fonts and gadgets and Word-like writing interfaces, so it’s not for everyone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I paste and resize images all the time in the binder, if trying to capture something on web and won’t drag in agree maybe HTML. Use windows snipping tool and save as file and then drag or copy and paste into scrivener. (I do have Scrivener 3 windows 11)

3 Likes

That’s a good tip. Screenshots are the great equalizer where it comes to getting stuff out of things that don’t seem to copy and paste right, or even just don’t let you. Of course you usually take a quality hit, but for stuff where that doesn’t matter, it’s often easiest to set up your screenshot tool to save to the clipboard so you don’t even have to bother with files.

1 Like

The HTML thing makes sense! Thank you for the MS Paint tip! I didn’t even think of that, but it works! It’s still an extra step between going from browser (I use Chrome) and Scrivener but being able to just copy/paste/copy is way quicker than going through the saving process (even if just by a few seconds. Sometimes my computer likes to take its sweet time saving images.)

Also sorry I meant to elaborate on the glitching! (This is what I get for posting at 3am.)
It usually happens if I’m trying to copy from a web page, let’s say a section of Wikipedia, for example. (It’s happened on a few random websites that I can’t recall all of.)
So if I wanted to copy a section that included a header, when I go to paste it, all of the text apparently exists only in one line somehow–OR the header will only show up partially, as if the text is too big for the line it’s on, if that makes sense? There’s a few different ways it glitches like this.
I just tested it out again to try to elaborate further, and another thing I’ve noticed that it does is that the font seems to get smaller every time I paste something new. I’ll go to highlight that text to make the front larger, but the size stays at -1 and doesn’t let me change it.
It might be because I just took a random wiki article to test it with, but I’ve pasted the same text a handful of times and each time was slightly different for some reason…one, the matched style seemed to work and allow me to change fonts, pasting it as plain text had the header issue, and a few other times it just entirely appeared as a link for some reason? But then I’d delete everything on that page and paste it again, and pasting with matching style didn’t do the same thing as it did before. Super bizarre?

I managed to find one of the websites I was using that had the header/body glitch, I am not sure how to add images to posts, and apparently I can’t add links directly, but I’m gonna try anyway (there’s a space between http and s and then another before the png. I know the forum is set up to try to avoid malware and stuff being posted but I don’t know if I can describe what’s happening without visuals)
http s://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/753328156705947690/936727532517085244/scrivener_glitches. png
The first bit is just pasted as is, and you can see the header is cut off.
The second paragraph (same text as before) I think was pasted as the matching style (which turned the entire thing into a link–in the very least for that I can get rid of the hyperlink and change the colors and font, but for some reason not the size.)
The last text is the weirder glitch problem I’ve had, where the whole thing just gets jammed onto one line.
When I go to try to get to the ‘end’ of it, I can’t type anything past it. It’s like it’s stuck in a container and I don’t have a way to expand it?
That was pasting as is, and when I paste as match style, it does the same. I could somewhat type after it, but if you hit enter, the whole thing disappears. It seems like I can scroll up and down through it, but the text just isn’t visible anymore. It’s like I’m typing in the ghost dimension lol
Ever seen this happen before?

Also that’s a great idea. I haven’t really played around with Markdown yet so I’ll have to give it a spin!

@EvilErnie , your image isn’t a real link – probably works only in Discord.

It’s much simplier here. Just uplaod your image file, using the arrow-above-pc-block symbol in the middle of the edit icons above.

Select your file, and the forum will upload it – you can see the result, and when you send the post, so can others.

@narrsd No, the forum wouldn’t let me post by adding the link so I had to add spaces to it, which I mentioned. They just need to be deleted when copy/pasting into the browser.

For some reason it was NOT letting me post an image at all, which is why I had to go through all that trouble anyway. Kind of getting annoyed by it all lol

The second paragraph (same text as before) I think was pasted as the matching style (which turned the entire thing into a link–in the very least for that I can get rid of the hyperlink and change the colors and font, but for some reason not the size.)

It’s really hard to say without steps to follow in order to see the problem happen, but my wild speculation would be that you pasted text into a link inadvertently—and it dutifully did what the menu command states doing. Paste and Match Style means raw plain-text gets inserted into formatted text, be that a link, heading style, inline annotation or whatever else you paste into.

As to the rest, I don’t really know how to see these things for myself. I have tried copying from the very same Wikipedia article (I think), using a Chromium-based browser, and while the result does require a little clean-up (HTML anchor points for in-page navigation come out as dummy link formatting on the first letter they follow), it wasn’t resistive to change as you describe, nor was the line-height setting way of out line with what I’d expect. When I say having to clean it up a bit, I just mean normal stuff, nothing broken looking like what you get.

Sorry I don’t have any easy answers for you. It might just be best to employ one of Paste and Match Style (into normal formatting obviously), Documents ▸ Convert ▸ Text to Default Formatting (which is often preferable as it can selectively preserve stuff you may want to keep, and will always preserve stuff like links and italics), or as a third option, saving as HTML from your browser and seeing if import works better than copy and paste.

My steps were really just copy > paste. I have a feeling it may have just been some sort of bug I was encountering so I’ve upgraded to Scrivener 3 so hopefully it won’t be an issue anymore.