Vote closed: the L&L Book Club choice for February

We’re reading A Christmas Carol by Dickens this month, and La Mare au Diable (or The Devil’s Pool) by George Sand in January. Next, I thought it might be fun to read a pacy adventure story of some description.

I’ve had trouble tracking down any classic adventure stories written by a female author, so this month’s options are all written by men. If you can think of any good out-of-copyright examples by female authors, please let me know and we’ll consider them for future reading.

So, on to the poll… What would you like to discuss in Book Club in February? Please cast your vote below:

0 voters

The result will be announced early in January, to allow plenty of time for you to acquire and read the selected title before our discussion in February.

You are very welcome to make suggestions for other books for us to read together — either reply to this message, or send me a PM. We’ll keep a list, and over the months ahead we’ll consider adding such suggestions to future book-choice polls.

When making a book suggestion, please remember that we will be reading books that are in the public domain in the UK and EU, where copyright laws protect work until 70 years after the author’s death.

All the best,

Astrid

Thank you for the suggestion. We offered Baroness Orczy (The Scarlet Pimpernel) as one of the options in our poll to choose November’s book, but she got no votes so I was reluctant to put her forward again so soon. We can certainly add her to a future poll, though.

I must admit that I have read only her Pimpernel books. Is there a particular one of her other books that you would recommend?

All the best,
Astrid

"Lady Molly of Scotland Yard” sounds fun! I’m going to look that series up. Thank you for the suggestion.

If there are any specific books that you would like to suggest for our book club, in any genre (as long as they are out of copyright), please do let me know. I keep a list, to draw on for future book-selection polls.

1 Like

In February, we’ll be reading the adventure story Moonfleet, by J. Meade Falkner.

What shall we read next? Pop over to our current poll to vote for your choice of a Jane Austen novel to read in March.

And don’t forget to let us know what you think of this month’s Book Club selection, The Devil’s Pool, by George Sand.