What fonts do you use?

I suspect, however, that you could find a source to support any font you want being the most trustworthy. Even the one Vic posted.

The least trustworthy font is surely Courier, because everyone knows that is what government cover-ups are written in.

… but that’s exactly why it is trustworthy.

No, wait a minute, that’s exactly why it was trustworthy until the Pentagon Papers. Or was it Watergate? Anyway, we all know Snowden didn’t use it so…

…or maybe he did, and it was, not sure, but I think it must have been Iago, yeah, that’s the one, Iago, Prince of Darkness…

Darkeness and Light? Maybe this belongs in the Scrivener Needs Serious Beautification thread.

Hm, at first I had “threat” there. A beautification threat.

An idea for a short story: “The Girl Who Wanted to Stay Ugly.” Of course, she was beautiful, but no one would admit it to her because…

…wait a minute, almost there…

I’ve got it! It was becaue she was in love with the Royal Courier.

What was the question?

ps

Been suckling at Mammy Jameson’s titty again, young Master Philip?

Fluff

Vafann, my human, His Obtuseness, The Right Horrible Vic-k, sends his best wishes, and hopes that you too, find his favorite font as useful as he does.:wink:
Fluff

I use Nitti Light, Light Italic, Medium, and Medium Italic. Love them, but I find the bold too dark, so the Medium is what I use for bold. only problem with this set up is that Command-B doesn’t work.

I can’t get over how awesome Nitti Light is for my use. Here’s how I have my full screen set up in Scriv:

I only started using Scrivener at the beginning of the year for writing my first book. I have experience of writing longer documents in business and had already known that my choice of font would affect how I write and how I am able to grasp what I am writing in type, quickly.

After messing around with the seemingly hundreds of fonts on my iMac, though not every one I hasten to add, I eventually settled on:

Book Antiqua

Amazingly I haven’t felt like changing it for many moons now.

American Typewriter is my favourite typeface for writing. Obviously when I compile for an agent or publisher, it’s back to boring old Times New Roman.

I’ve always liked the Sabon family of fonts. I was introduced to them by a designer friend long, long ago, when he used them on something we worked on together, and I subsequently kept a set on my Windows machines for use instead of TNR (which I otherwise use a lot). Since the transition to the Mac, I have not had them, but this thread has reminded me to seek some out, download and use them.

For the writings like essays, stories and all, I usually make use of Times New Roman in MS word with the size of 12. And if I am using the font for any designing purpose I would first prefer Conmic Sans. I first lookat some site and check the font type and size whether it suits for my document or not, and change the font styles accordingly.

NOTE: Edited by moderator to remove link to a website that is potentially of a spam nature.

I agree. If it was up to me, Scrivener would come with only two fonts: Comic Sans and Papyrus.

I smell spam.

That’s ridiculous! What about WingDings?

This guide may prove useful.

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 17.18.32.png

Thank you! I’ve had to stop reading because I’m at work and suddenly aware that I should be, you know, not reading about fonts at work, but what I’ve read so far is fascinating and has been added to the reading list for my journey home this evening. :smiley:

Wow! I clicked on the link for a quick look to see what the fuss was about. 45 minutes later…

To anyone else reading this: check out the web book, Butterick’s Practical Typography by Matthew Butterick. If you’re reading this thread, presumably you have an interest in typography, so I’m sure you’ll find something interesting in his book. For those that have no interest in typography, check out his discussion about the economics of web-content.

Worth bookmarking and revisiting (and paying for).

Repeated studies have shown that while pages printed in a fully-justified non-serif font are pretty to look at, ragged-right justification with a serif font is easier to read. Since up until now, the bulk of my writing has been academic, I modified most of my templates in MS Word, AbiWord, and other word processors to use ragged-right justification with Times New Roman, 10-pt font, thus meeting every standard of academic writing.

Now that I’m starting Scrivener, I’ll probably stick to the same format.

I’ve long heard that serif fonts are easier to read (dating back to the 1980s), but I’ve never found any studies to support the claims. I’d really like to see them - can you provide some references?

Here’s a study:
“Do serifs provide an advantage in the recognition of written words?” by Carmen Moret-Tatay and Manuel Perea, published in the Journal Of Cognitive Psychology, 2011, 23 (5), pp 619-624.
http://www.uv.es/~mperea/serif_JCP.pdf

And here’s a fun little infographic that gives a lot of the same information in an easier to digest format:
http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013/03/serif-vs-sans-the-final-battle

The gist:
Serif fonts are easier to read on paper, sans serif on screens.