WIndows 3 Release: My Thoughts

Good one, Mr. P.
Internet Anonymity Frees the Inner Jerk.

Trust me, Windows has always been and will ALWAYS be a second class citizen to this company. No matter the dialogue and fanboi defenses for this nonsense in the pages of responses, you’ll find that this is true for the entire time that Scrivener for Windows has been out. The features always lag, and the support will always be lagging behind issues and innovation on the Mac. You do NOT need to take my word, any research into this will show you that it is true and has always been the case.

LL will give you lots of lip service about how important the Windows version is but, look at their actions NOT their words.

This also reminds me of the exact same type of issue with the iOS app. For the longest time they maintained there was no point to an iPad version of Scrivener, and then they said it was too hard to develop one, then they failed so badly with the first attempt to develop Scrivener for the iPad that they had to completely scrap it, and tagged on another year or two of delay and talk about how it’ll come…

Bottom line is, fortunately for us Windows users there are now open-source free alternatives to Scrivener including Manuskript, Quoll Writer, and Wavemaker. There are more than that, but those are notable free ones. Other paid and freemium competitors have arisen as well.

I am STILL a Scrivener user but am looking to transition over to Manuskript. However, because I’ve been working in Scrivener so long I’m still there due to sunk cost until I finish the current novel. At that point, though I’m moving–the clear message to Windows users that they’re not a priority for LL as evidenced by failing for the umpteenth year to have parity with Mac is clear. Years ago when there was nothing like Scrivener available I’d have stuck with it. Now–thanks for making up my mind LL!

Again, don’t take my word for it, truly look over the years for saying “customers don’t know anything we’ll do what we want and you’ll like it” with regards to both iOS IPad Scrivener and Windows versions. Opinions are just that but the facts and their track record won’t go away. I’ve paid for and used extensively the Mac Version, Windows Version, and the iPad version of Scrivener. The charge to move up to 3 will be the break from this company that I’ve been putting off for a long time–hopefully in another few years they’ll change their ways or get bought out and run with a customer focus instead of an “our way or the highway” style they’ve always used.

Not sure if you’re aware of the beta @rivermonster, but just in case: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-3-0-beta-release-candidate-10-download-links-change-list/38228/1

Manuskript looks very very … familiar :smiley: . Interesting to note that it has been in beta/development for almost 4 years. Making software like that must be difficult!

Yes, there are plenty of similar programs out there these days. Most (all?) of them focus on only one very narrow aspect of writing, like novels—Scrivener remains one of the few that strives to be a general purpose writing platform. If you find one that fits how you write and isn’t as anger-stimulating for you as our way of doing things is, then go for it!

As for actions, if someone like me who normally works exclusively in Mac space has spent the past 3/4s of this year almost entirely working with the Windows team is “lip service” and not “action” then I suppose I can see why you’re so angry. I’d be angry, if I knew I was going about it so wrong. :laughing:

P.S. Since it has been a few pages back now (and thus doesn’t exist), this is probably a good point to remind everyone about the thread rules here: don’t attack the writer, debate the ideas—or just ignore it. Not every angry post needs a retort. We can take criticism just fine.

I don’t really care about the delay. I mean, obviously I want scrivener 3, but I’m used to waiting for things. I think most authors are. The problem for me is being promised dates that doesn’t hold up, and then not being updated on the blog. I’m not really a forum user, so I check the blog for updates, and there are almost never any. And when I go check the forum, I’m pretty shocked at some of the really snarky, bordering on rude replies given by the scrivener people to people that complain. I get it, complaining isn’t fun, but in this case you kind of deserve it and should take it with grace rather than with attitude. Not that anyone cares what anyone else on the forums says, lol

We published a post on this shortly after the missed target, in fact, maybe it was missed.

As it says there, we aren’t estimating out loud any more. As you say it’s just a source of frustration, so we’d rather just buckle down and get it done. Keith also specifically responded to this identical complaint that you lodged, here.

As to the rest, it might be best to take that to our feedback channel, if you have a complaint with any of us. Normally I’d not have a problem with it, but inside of a thread that is a dry tinder like this, where I’ve had to repeatedly ask people to lay off of the flame prose, it is not bound to be very productive.

Also please be aware that only of the few people posting in this thread (or elsewhere) are L&L employees. Other forum users speak only for themselves.

Katherine

Or our cats.

Would a cat really let anyone speak for it? wouldn’t it be

I know it’s a bit of a semantic but i don’t need any cats hunting us down.

Now dogs… you can speak for dogs any time. And they are grateful when you do. Gives them more time to roll in crap. Litteral crap. Because … dogs. They roll in crap.

… or eat it.
Cats won’t do either.

Significant is the lower right corner, which clearly depicts a sheet of toilet paper, which is no doubt part of an entire roll that has be strewn across the entire house.

It is nowhere near that cut and dry. L&L has twice as many developers devoted to Windows as they have to Mac. In fact, they have one developer for Mac and iOS and two for nothing but Windows.

It is not about Windows being a second class citizen. It has to do with what the environments provide for the developer to build on.

MacOS and iOS build on the magnificent groundwork by NeXT, which they bought from Steve Jobs. The current iteration of this is Cocoa, which is a set of functionality for office and collaborative applications which NeXT started developing in the 80’s, and which is still being actively added to today. It is an IMMENSELY rich set of functionality that any MacOS or iOS developer has instant access to, as soon as they get Xcode and a license and start working with it.

Windows, in contrast, has a very weak set of functionality for developing office like applications. For good reason; their two main products have for decades been Windows and Office, and they do not want to make it easy to make competing applications.

Therefore, with comparatively little work you can build a very good office type application, like, say, an outliner, in MacOS or iOS. Then you can put your effort into the added functionality, and you will have a very good application pretty quickly. That is not the case with Windows, where you will spend most of your time developing basic functionality which is already present in the OS libraries in MacOS/iOS.

On top of this the Windows team has the difficulty of matching the way the Windows version works with the already developed version for MacOS. That is not an easy task at the best of times, and it gets harder since there is a lack of good, ready made functionality which is close to what Cocoa provides.

And their actions are; TWICE as many developers for Windows, the 1.x Windows version is at MacOS 2.x version feature parity (almost) and they provide the upgrade for free for anyone who bought the Windows version since quite some time.

This tells me they take Windows VERY seriously.

Good catch, sir. I humbly accept your correction.

Sigh…

No criticisms here. Just a boring agreement…the whole beta wait-and-see-whenever process doesn’t bother me in the least because it is a mirror-image of my own writing process. I can’t publish anything until it’s perfect. And I mean ten thousand reviews perfect. And I do mean can’t publish. I just…simply…can’t give you something I’m not proud of and that I know is the best that I can make it be.

So the only writing of mine whatsoever that has made it out into the public are lesson and lecture notes…simply and only because of deadlines. The rare times I’ve written something that felt publish-worthy, upon another read simply turned into the notes for a new, better version. Heck, I revised this post before posting it more times than I’m comfortable sharing! (And I’m sure there are still grammatical errors, but…)

For you who don’t have a day job and so must rely on your writing for income, I grieve for you if you have the obsessive-compulsive tendencies that I have. For the rest of the writing, um, hobbyists?..on here like me…that old wheel will roll around again. I will say that, since I don’t rely on my writing for income I can enjoy it for the pure catharsis that it is.

As for now, L&L I appreciate your work very much and I sympathize completely with your wanting to release nothing less than the best. Here’s hoping you do much better than I.

I wanted to ask: Once scr for Win 3 is out of beta and released to the masses – will ver. 1.9.x continue to be supported by L & L? I may or may not buy ver. 3. Ver. 1.9.x meets my writing needs, so I may just skip ver. 3.x for now. Will I still get any updates for 1.9.x or will it simply fade away as ver. 3.x gains traction?

We will be supporting older versions for as long as people use them. We still support version 1.x for Mac, for all of the four or five people still using it. :slight_smile: It’s not only a matter of choice, but some people cannot use the newer versions as their systems are too old.

But I presume that v. 1.9.x will no longer be updated once v. 3 is publicly released? Unless there are (shudder) licensing service issues that need addressing?

Yes, as is typical, only dire and necessary fixes will be made to any legacy versions of software.

Good to know that. Thanks!

I’m waiting for 3 to be released but have a real problem with waiting for “the best”. That will never happen and never has. Every piece of software I have ever used has always been improved over time, upgraded, updated. Never have I seen any software that has never been improved.