Beta for the brave?

I enjoy using the Beta version so much that I always feel depressed when I have to revert back to the old Scrivener 1.9.7 :wink:

Actually I am really tempted to use the Beta for some real work right now. Of course I know about all the risks associated with this, but if these two assumptions were met, I would give it a try:

• will there always be a Beta version available up to the point of the official release?
  • will the file format be stable, so that all projects created now will also work with the official release?

There are no certainties besides death and taxes. I recommend export the actual documents created under the beta and take a screenshot of your binder layout.

The ā€œfile formatā€ (it is not really a file but a structured folder with files) is predetermined by the release of v3 for Mac. If it does change all the Mac guys are fubar.

As to the beta availability thatā€™s been addressed in a different thread. L&L Windows division will release betas with extended expiry. Do a search and you should find that.

[quote="Jaysen"As to the beta availability thatā€™s been addressed in a different thread. L&L Windows division will release betas with extended expiry. Do a search and you should find that.[/quote]
Iā€™ve done a search. Several in fact. Canā€™t find what youā€™re talking about, so could you point me in the right direction?

[quote=ā€œjandrewnelsonā€]

[quote="Jaysen"As to the beta availability thatā€™s been addressed in a different thread. L&L Windows division will release betas with extended expiry. Do a search and you should find that.[/quote]

[quote=ā€œjandrewnelsonā€]

[quote="jandrewnelson"Iā€™ve done a search. Several in fact. Canā€™t find what youā€™re talking about, so could you point me in the right direction?[/quote]
My guess is that this is the post Jaysen is referring to (where it states they will be releasing new betas as the expiration date of each beta comes due):

[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-3-0-beta-release-candidate-10-download-links-change-list/38228/1]

Thanks for the help!

Instead of all this swtiching-back-and-forth between old Scrivener and the beta, Iā€™d just as soon toss $100 to L&L to keep my beta up and going. Iā€™m willing to take the risk. They make a few extra bucks and I donā€™t have to eat up time switching versions.

Again, thanks for the help!

via the post ā€œPurchase or Beta extension?ā€ 2 days ago [url][NB] Purchase or Beta extension? - #3 by MimeticMouton]:

Lit ā€˜nā€™ Lat have never failed to put out a new Beta when the current oneā€™s time is up. :slight_smile:

New Beta is available now. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s pretty sweet, too. (Although to be fair I havenā€™t had much time to do anything other than bake goodies.)

I make mine your words.

Although the freshly bought 1.9.7, I have been brave and used the Beta. Always with external backups, even because I like to write using markdown, so itā€™s easy to make TXT backups at any time.

For productionā€¦I wouldnā€™t without backups. Iā€™m playing with 2.02 and there is still some wonky stuff going on with things like spell checking and corkboard issues, so Iā€™d quote C3pO here and say, ā€œItā€™s not entirely stableā€. heh.