Novel-in-a-Day 4.0: Live Free or NiaD

No wonder my central character’s Australian.

I’m blaming you for my word-block by the way, Blount. Your chapter last year set too high a standard, and I am wallowing in my inability to live up to it.

Matt

Which reminds me, are you setup for footnotes? Otherwise everyone is going to think my deliberate Australian-ism is just a typo :slight_smile:

Okay so got birthday morning done for daughter who has now gone home and about to start, looks blankly at brief :frowning: and wonders I need a map

Location in London for the Daily Echo has that been given? or not, I know about the southampton one :slight_smile:
I just don’t want to make a boo boo about locations?

Ok,

The Daily Echo has nothing to do with the Southern Daily Echo based in Southampton.
I’ve not given anyone locations for the law firms, banks or news paper offices, other than to say that they are broadly within the financial district of London - the central square mile north of the river.

That info is fine :slight_smile:

Hey roo chasers,

How would the main refer to herself colloquially?

Outline completed last night before beauty rest. Should be fairly quick to the first throwaway draft.

Umm… “me”?

hahaha

Listen you…. you don’t want stupid rednecks asking dumb questions, set the thing in east-bejesus-nowhere SC.

Matt, glad to see you haven’t lost your touch. admittedly the context was missing.

How would main refer to herself in the third person colloquially?

Well, there’s a couple of things. Anyone in Australia in the habit of walking around referring to themselves in the third person too regularly would probably have been shit-stirred as an up-themselves wanker for long enough that they were far less inclined to do so in the future.

On the occasions where it is socially acceptable, such as when answering the phone or introducing yourself, we tend to stick with the well established tradition of using our own names.

After that, if she is not an up-herself prick, she will probably have a nickname ending in either “o” or “ey”… so you could be looking at either “Lerno” or “Jonesy” as the name her friends used often enough that she just took it on herself.

That said, I have never encountered anyone with that name before, so it is a new one for me too :slight_smile:

Matt

I know, it’s diff’rent innit.

To litteral.

Q: Please tell me about your history?
A: I’m a redneck who defied the odd and wound up as a propeller head manager instead of a coal mole.

Three examples in there. Looking for the bolded one.

Pretty common here actually. Mostly in the black community. Never heard it before the move though.

Incoming piggy … be prepared for some truly awful prose…
Cheers

<Deleted - better response below>

make sure you have your anti-radiation suit on…

Need to go catch dinner. 650 in with 3 wife enforced start overs (editors should NOT read over the shoulder). Still need a third person label for the main (never depend on roo-chasers?)…

Oh right, sorry.

Redhead = “Bogan”.

A little different, in that everyone has a bit of bogan in them to a degree and there are lots of variations, but that is our main cultural cringe over here.

Just finished mapping out my bit and looking for a place to add “nice suit”. :slight_smile:

Suits are so last year. We’re calling everyone bogans and redheads this year, apparently.