Scrivener for Windows...

My thoughts exactly!

It should - will be testing out the same issue on a HP Mini 1000 that comes with WinXP Home and syncing that (manually, dropbox, or via external drive) with my Win7 desktop computer. So really try to run the beta through the ringer and see what all we can do with it!

Quick UI question/request: Will Scrivener for Windows use a customized, more mac-like UI? If so, will Aero Snap still function in Windows 7 (please answer yes)/

AncientToaster – best nom du plume ever for a tech thread.

[size=65]I guess I should mention that I still have an A2000 with a NewTek Video Toaster in the basement. [/size]

So preliminary testing indicates it will work just fine on Starter. I’ve been running tests on a new Asus Eee PC which I’ve deliberately left hampered by w7 Starter. It’s way to early to be talking about performance, but that’s looking good so far too.

It’s also far too early to be talking about specific UI features like Snap. I can say it works right now, but who knows what the future will bring. As mentioned in the blog, this isn’t going to be an Apple like attempt to bring the Mac to Windows, such as Safari and QuickTime. The goal here is create a Windows application that brings Scrivener to Windows users. The iconography will be familiar to Windows users, as will the menu layouts and so on. That said, it will have some of the ethos, if you will, of Mac software design just by virtue of coming from the same DNA. You won’t have five stacks of tiny toolbar buttons and such. :slight_smile:

On the whole, that’s probably a good thing.

Can we bribe you to get an extra early copy? Hehehe. :mrgreen:

I am so looking forward to this… this is the one software that has made me think of buying a MAC next year!!!

So the user interface isn’t going to be like this, then?

Disappointing. I was also hoping for one of those preferences dialogues that has two rows of tabs at the top that switch over every time you click on them. (Anyone else remember the pain of using Windows circa 1999?)

That text alignment picker that has a choice between left, centre, right, justified, and no alignment gets me every time. Love it.

And this:

Classic.

This news is the best birthday present! :smiley: [9.29]

Thank you, Literature & Latte folks!

Is the old interface of Lotus Notes the most unnecessarily convoluted of any commonly used application*? I used it for years without fully “getting” it.

• Vying perhaps with the particular instance of the “Customise Toolbar” pane of the Mac outliner TAO - but at least I can easily grasp what that application is trying to do.

Thanks for all the enthusiasm - and happy birthday to bklynwriter!

Best,
Keith

I’ve been using Movie Magic Screenwriter for a few years now and they have failed to update many bugs. I’ve considered a move to Final Draft or even a Mac, but I just can’t make the switch. I’ve watched Scrivner for a while now and can’t wait to get the beta. You may as well mark me down for the final version because. It looks great.

Oh, the irony! I spent hours of brain damage getting OSX to work on my netbook, all because I wanted to use Scrivener. And then this!! Ah but at least I’ll be using 2.0 when it comes out.

I would like to say my thanks for developing Windows version. Registered mostly for that :smiley:

I’m a Windows user and despite trying Apple’s alterantives I’ve found both OSX and Macs to be inferior to Windows and PC hardware (of course only when it comes to my own personal needs, I know plenty of people feel different). Scrivener was the one Mac only software I was really jeleaus of, so I’m happy as hell it will finally see the light of day on Windows. Thanks again.

An honest question: In what way? I have never heard this statement supported in a manner that really represented an end users view. At least not by someone who didn’t work for MS. Could you clarify for me?

Software selection mostly. OSX has like 5% of the marketshare worldwide and without USA it would be even lower, which leads to it being horribly unsupported in majority of smaller countries. I live in Poland and here barely any software has OSX versions. In some cases you can find alternatives, but they rarely work as well as originals and there are plenty of software with no alternatives. I’m a law student and I already work part time in this field and most of absolutely essential apps for my work only have Windows version. Yeah, it’s not too modern of our programming industry, but it’s how it is. Heck…the official goverment issued software for making social security payments actualy uses floppy disks you get at the agency as physical keys (yeah I know :unamused: ). Add to this the fact that I’m a heavy gamer and well…OSX is pretty much out of the question.

And with hardware…again…I’m a gamer and the selection on PC side is just much bigger and cheaper. It’s better with laptops, but in this case I have long lasting love affair with Thinkpads and Macbooks just don’t do it for me. And OSX’s unpopularity strikes even there as some hardware lacks OSX drivers and tools.

Windows has it’s faults, but it’s the only truly universaly accapted OS in the world, so while sometimes it might take some work to get something running, you almost always can get it running in the end. Plus personaly don’t find any real difference between those OSes functionality-wise. I know some poeple get deep into their OSes and do wonders with them, so the difference might be obvious to them, but I honestly treat my OS as simply a software launching pad I barely do anything with it besides running other software and moving files. So it is all about software selection for me and Windows is just a lot better in this area, especially now with Scrivener for Windows :wink:

Thanks for the answer. I think your position supports the idea that end users only care about “things working” not the type of details that the geeks like me dive into.

Thanks again.

Yep. I understand the geekdom though, while I don’t care for OSes as long as they work with what I throw at them I am a huge gaming geek and I do obsessively get into details of that :mrgreen:

I am a systems guy (I make a living running large scale systems for a major company). My view is influenced by my pager going off at 3AM, TCO for 300+ servers (which include number of support personnel needed) and the level of security needed for the data on the system. In my workplace end users are other systems, not real people. OS selection can be the difference between success and failure.

As far as personal preference goes, I drag that work baggage around with me. Although I do find that the OSX philosophy for UI just “works” for me. I don’t spend too much time thinking about how I am doing an activity, I just do it. Linux and Windows make me think too much. Since I am not a gamer the UI standard trumps the title availability for me.

Thanks for the perspective.