The Unit (NiaD 11)

TheUnit_medium_grey

The Unit was written as a Novel in a Day on Saturday 16th October 2021
Three versions were produced: Blue, Green, and Red.

BLUE was written by:
Amy E. Lilly, Michael Roberts, Sherida Deeprose
Lin Lune, Dawn Oshima, Julia Pierce
Oleksandr Baranov AKA Garrett, Julia Ward, N.D. Robitaille
Sheila Lynch, John Gray, B. Morris Allen
Greg Ray, Charlotte Barker, Rob Ryter
Gerald Hornsby, Waleed Ovase, Matthew Merkovich
and Kimberlee Gerstmann

GREEN was written by:
Anna-Lisa Taylor, Heather Lovelace-Gilpin, Chelsea Fuchs
Ian Philpot, Ann M. Beardsley, Julia Pierce
Alex Brantham, Julia Ward, Jaysen O’Dell
Ioa Petra’ka, Jeanette Everson, B. Morris Allen
Keith Blount, Charlotte Barker, Ian Hocking
Sue Cowling, topher, Carly Brooks
and M.T. Decker

RED was written by:
Anna-Lisa Taylor, Michael Roberts, Pete Becker
Skylar Goodspeed, Annette Pateman, Julia Pierce
Nick Calvert, Julia Ward, E. Kinna
L.G. Red, Jeanette Everson, Ruth McCracken
Keith Blount, Cassandra Lee, Ian Hocking
Conrad Gempf, Caroline Whiteman, Susan Wheeler
and Russella Lucien

You can download the books for free here:
Blue_PDF
Blue_ePUB
Blue_mobi

Green_PDF
Green_ePUB
Green_mobi

Red_PDF
Red_ePUB
Red_mobi

All of the versions were compiled using the Mac version of Scrivener. You can download the Scrivener project (which includes all the chapter briefs sent out to participants) here, along with the compile settings use to produce the books here.

A Mac v2 / Windows v1 compatible version of the Scrivener project is available here, along with older Mac v2 compile settings here.

5 Likes

Hope you all enjoy the book! I’m looking forward to reading it properly tomorrow!

5 Likes

I realised that, given the nature of the genre/briefs(?), a few continuity errors are inevitable. Such as the transition from chapter 14 to 15 (red). Previous chapter ended in a jeep and the next chapter began in a van…

We’re amazing! :smiley:
And @pigfender doubly so! :smiley:

2 Likes

I am likely doing my reading tomorrow.
chilling out for the rest of the day here.
:blush:

2 Likes

Oish! Now I know why I am not in the elite forces.(^) Apparently you have to read your mission instructions (brief) very, very carefully and repeatedly. As the designated handler for two of those special ops guys I see I neglected to tell them to do a certain crucial something. Mistakes were made! So, if you ever need rescuing, I just hope, for your sake, you have someone else you can call.

(^) Something I have been wondering, as perhaps you have.

1 Like

We really are!
… …

Thanks, PigFender, that was great fun. Can we have chicklit next year, a romantic comedy? I’m still picking bits of manliness out of my teeth after this one.

5 Likes

Oh dear, no. I’m never* doing this again!!! :wink:

Seriously, though… chick lit is not a genre, it’s an audience. And to misapply a quote from the great Mitch Hedburg, “every book is a children’s book if you teach your child to read.”

I should point out that we’ve done romance already so that’s less likely to come round quickly, but you never know!

* - for the newly initiated, this is the 11th time I’ve said that.

1 Like

Eh… you’re missing three special editions that resulted in the same statement.

Or was it two special editions. Who here is sober enough to count past 11?

1 Like

I thought saying 11 was funnier

1 Like

Leave it to me to ruin your joke.

1 Like

This was amazing - I wish I’d found y’all sooner, but… WOW (Now that I’ve slept and have had a chance to catch my breath) - This is an incredible challenge thank you all for A) Making it possible B) being crazy enough to take the ball and run with it.

5 Likes

Interesting to see that PDF is still the preferred way of reading a book electronically.

I did significantly improve the ePub and mobi formatting (in my opinion anyway) as I now own a kindle and so can actually see how it looks on a device (I was blissfully ignorant before).

2 Likes

I’ve been using an ePub to read NiaD’s (Novels-in-a-day) and I must say that earlier works had font sizes too large or too small for my liking, and adjusting them to the right font size skewed the reading settings for other ebooks I own!

Also, the PDFs are for safekeeping, not reading. I’m quite restless on my chair but can read during long train commutes. I quite like reading while standing.

2 Likes

Are the current epubs better? Any feedback on how to improve welcome!

1 Like

I’ve been reading on iBooks, ePub and it’s great. no problem. nicely formatted. I normally do Kindle but ended up downloading the epub this time. Thanks!

1 Like

Hell yes. I may have said the same to @pigfender in one of my many panicked emails throughout the day. Let’s shove all this manliness out of its comfort zone for a change? Not to overly generalize or stereotype, but they are all a bit on the ‘macho’ side, aren’t they? Less go overly-cliched romantic bleurgh and happy ever after next, yeah? Raindrops and roses and lingering soulful gazes…

2 Likes

Hahaha.

I’m not responsible for the costumes, the personalities, the actions, reactions, the emotions, desires of the characters in your chapters.

We’ve done romantic relationships that ache across time. We’ve had female teenage vampires in Paris. We’ve had engagement rings and lost proposals in space stations. If your characters decide to swear at each other instead of dance, that’s on you lot not me! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Damn, missed the chance for a gay Black Mambos romance chapter.

2 Likes